Weld-Free Electric Keg Boiler: A How-To Guide

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

eternalfrost
Trainee

Weld-Free Electric Keg Boiler: A How-To Guide

Post by eternalfrost »

up untill a few months ago i had been using a 20L stockpot with a bokakob plate column. it worked well but was a pain to seal up with flourpaste all the time and could only do pretty small runs. heres a thread about how i made the original column...
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =17&t=6594

so for the past few months ive been upgrading my rig. this thread will be a guide on how i made my electric keg boiler. this can be used with any reflux column or pot still head you please. it requires no welding or special exuipment so you can do it completely yourself over a weekend. i havent seen much on this topic so hopefully this will help some of you guys out in the future!

PARTS:
-keg
-screw-in hot water heater element (preferably low density)
-bolt on heating element flange (home depot)
-refletix insulation 2X24 ft home depot
-4 stainless nuts/bolts/washers
-1/8" music grade cork corkstore
-2 inch tri-clamp brewhaus
-tri-clamp to NPT couple brewhaus
-2" copper female couple (mcmaster.com #5520K26)

these are the exact parts and suppliers i used, but use your imaginations.

to start will need to cut 5 holes into your keg. put these as low as possible to help prevent your element becoming exposed during a run. basically take your flange and line it up against the bottom skirt on the keg. mark out the 5 holes on the flange and cut them out. this is the hardest part by far. stainless steel wont cut very easily. for the large center hole,I ended up using a dremel with one of the metal cut off wheels and it worked like a charm. you will have to use a 1/4" drill for the 4 bolt holes and it will take a bit of time, i found that a slow speed and a LOT of pressure worked best. just be careful as you near the end and watch that it dosent catch as you break through and twist your wrist.

next, you will have to remove and replace the rubber gaskets that come with the heating element and the flange. follow the golden rule, NO PLASTICS.
to replace them,cut a square of your cork that is at least an 1/8 inch bigger all around then the flange. then trace out the inside of the center hole and use an exacto knife to cut it out. at this point the cork will probably not fit over the flange, thats ok, just keep trimming small ammounts off till you can just squeeze it around the neck of the flange. the cork is a bit stretchy and will give a nice snug fit if you do it right. S. im not sure if this is 100% necessary but it worked for me.
you will use the same idea for the bolt holes. just take the tip of your exacto and spin it around and sort of drill a hole through the cork. then take your bolts and washers and push it through leaving a nice tight seal.

you can now bolt the whole thing onto the keg. leave the element out so you can reach through the center hole to attach the nuts. the cork should sort of squish out the sides under the flange when you get it nice and tight. finally you can put in the heating element. you will need a large monkey wrench to torque it down. they also sell special wrenches for a few bucks for this right next to the elements.
100_0308.JPG
100_0308.JPG (42.85 KiB) Viewed 37425 times
be sure to ground the keg!

at this point you can stop. but to really maximize your boiler you will want to add insulation. i used refletix insulation from home depot because it is waterproof, cheap, and insulates both conduction and radiation. the 2X25 foot roll works perfectly for a keg. start by cutting out some circles that fit into the top and bottom of the keg. make them a tad oversized so they will be snug and hold themselves in. you should use 2 layers on the top nd bottom. you can then insulate your column if you like, it will only use a few inches of your roll. then just take whats left over and wrap it around the sides. the side of the keg is just under 2 feet so it works perfect without any trimming needed. i ended up with about 5 layers on the side. dont worry about overkill, the more insulation the better. besides what else are you going to use it for? even with 5 layers it is only about an inch thick. on my rig the insulation is cool to the touch even when running full-blast. good for safety as well as not wasting heat.

i ended up taping the top and bottom edges together then slicing down the side to get a c-shaped shell of insulation. this lets you remove it easily for cleaning. the top and bottom circles will just pop right out too. the insulation itself it water-proof. during a run i hold it on with 2 loops of wire.
100_0312.JPG
100_0312.JPG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 37694 times
finally, you can use the leftovers of your cork sheet to make a gasket for the keg-column seal. basically just trace out a ring, dosent need to be exact at all like before. the tri-clamp connects the keg to the male adapter which screws into the female adapter soldered to your column. it would also be possible to do it directly to the keg if you could find the proper fitting.
100_0316.JPG
100_0316.JPG (35.76 KiB) Viewed 37827 times
NOTES:
-use the highest wattage element you can find. i used a 5500W and it will strip a full keg from a cold-start in under 2 hours easily. just make sure you have a safe setup if you need to use 240V
-use a low density element if you can. the larger the physical element is the better, this means more surface area and lower heat/in^2 which means less scorching of solids
100_0292.JPG
100_0292.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 37368 times
-some people have claimed cork can be used to substitute cork.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Re: Weld-Free Electric Keg Boiler: A How-To Guide

Post by new_moonshiner »

Nice Job ...almost a start to finish project .. except for maybe explaining the heat controller in detail a little ..Looks good . :D
notneo
Novice

Post by notneo »

Are you able to clean the inside of the keg / boiler? Has the top been cut off?

Also with your element, does it have a temp control or do you run 5.5kw during stripping and distilling?
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

notneo wrote:Are you able to clean the inside of the keg / boiler? Has the top been cut off?

Also with your element, does it have a temp control or do you run 5.5kw during stripping and distilling?
no modifications were made to the keg besides the hole for the element. it is easy to keep clean especially with sugar washes since there really isnt anything that needs cleaning. just rinsing it with water does the trick.
i run it at full 5.5kW during stripping runs, but theres no way that you can run it that hard in the final spirit run and get ny quality out of it. the switch box you see switches between 240 and 120V to cut the power down to about 1500W then the 120V is regulated by a dimmer setup for fine tuning. i usualy run at what i would guess to be 800-1000W

the plans i used for the controller are the ones listed on the huge thread about them on this site. basically a dimmer switch, a power resistor, and a triac.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Very good thread, and nice tut. Glad you posted your experience for others to use. I have not gone the elect direction yet, but might put together a elect rig to make it easier to work things inside when it gets too cold outside to operate. I do not like operating in an enclosed area using flame, and it simply gets too cold to open the front and back garage doors to get air flow when it is too cold outside.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
beezo
Novice

Post by beezo »

can someone please provide a link where i can buy the bolt on flange for home depot as i looked everywhere on there site and cant find it :oops:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

beezo wrote:can someone please provide a link where i can buy the bolt on flange for home depot as i looked everywhere on there site and cant find it :oops:
I think I still have the bag mine came in... I'll see if I can find a SKU on it... I also searched the site and couldn't find the part even though I know it came from Home Depot...
beezo
Novice

Post by beezo »

any luck rad with finding the part
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

beezo wrote:any luck rad with finding the part
I actually found the blister card it came on, which still contains some parts, but the numbers on it don't pull anything up on the HD site... My next step is to see if I have the receipt with a SKU...

I did find similar items at Ace Hardware and several plumbing sites... Usually called something like "Universal Flange Adapter Kit"... In the stores they are located with the elements...
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Nice job ,Might wanna add a 4x4 metal elect box and cover over element with wire clamp for cord for safety . Looks well done none the less.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
liquordude
Novice

Post by liquordude »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Electric- ... ltDomain_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's All Legal Until You Get Caught!!!

MY STUFF
Cruisaire
Bootlegger

Post by Cruisaire »

That element adapter is on sale at Home Despot for less than $3 now.
calicojack
Novice

Post by calicojack »

could you use jb weld to hard fix the adapter to your keg?

and what do you use to drill the hole for the element?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

calicojack wrote:what do you use to drill the hole for the element?
I used a step bit for mine like the one on the left cept it was the next size up.

I got klein tools but you can git some really affordable stuff from Harbor Freight.
Attachments
IMG_0735.JPG
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
scotty
Swill Maker

Post by scotty »

just a note on JB weld--I believe that i read that JB weld is USDA approved--but i can not find info to suport that statement at this time
teach me and correct me if you are my friend
still crazy
Rumrunner

Post by still crazy »

Calico
Solder in the fitting see here

I show how I did it with 3 on mine
I used short (-9") elements you might want to drill in from side <<< In hindsight I should have too as now I am thinking sediment in the fitting "cups".

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=18044
Daddy used, to say " Any landing you can walk away from is a good one"
Calculations don't mean shit when compared to the real world practical experience of many...RAD 9/2010
Skoot
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Skoot »

Y9ou can get the flange at Ace Hardware .... see here: acetogo.com/product/element-adaptor-kit.html
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Skoot wrote:Y9ou can get the flange at Ace Hardware .... see here: acetogo.com/product/element-adaptor-kit.html
Yikes...!!! I paid less than half that at The Home Depot... Something like $2.49 or $3.49 as I recall...
calicojack
Novice

Post by calicojack »

i can't seem to find any of the adapters locally...

can the adapters be used with some sort of relief/dump valve?
MooQu
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooQu »

Is the plating on this adapter cause for concern? I can find a stainless version of it.
Mooqu
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

You'll want to stay away from the Galvi.
MooQu
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooQu »

It looks like it is zink plated. It's not galvanized. If you mount the adapter as shown a small portion of the adapter is exposed to the fermentation liquid. I have search for a stainless version of the adapter, but haven't been able to find one.
Mooqu
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ MooQu,

The Galvanization process is applying a coating of Zinc to prevent corrosion. Galvanization is applying Zinc by either Hot Dipping the part in molten Zinc or applying Zinc by Electroplating the part with Zinc. Either way your way part has a coating of Zinc appiled to it to prevent corrosion.

Regards,
Coaster
MooQu
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooQu »

Coaster wrote:@ MooQu,

The Galvanization process is applying a coating of Zinc to prevent corrosion. Galvanization is applying Zinc by either Hot Dipping the part in molten Zinc or applying Zinc by Electroplating the part with Zinc. Either way your way part has a coating of Zinc appiled to it to prevent corrosion.

Regards,
Coaster

Thanks, for the clarification Coaster. I thought galvanization was accomplished with a different material.

So using this element adapter is probably not a good idea.

MooQu
Mooqu
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MooQu wrote:So using this element adapter is probably not a good idea.
Zinc galvanization is not a good thing, but there's more to the story than that... If the adapter has been plated, regardless of what material it is plated with, such as chrome, any worked surfaces will have that plating compromised... So, whether it has threads cut into it or is welded, the bare original metal will be exposed and will most likely rust because that is the original reason for the plating...
MooQu
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooQu »

rad14701 wrote:
MooQu wrote:So using this element adapter is probably not a good idea.
Zinc galvanization is not a good thing, but there's more to the story than that... If the adapter has been plated, regardless of what material it is plated with, such as chrome, any worked surfaces will have that plating compromised... So, whether it has threads cut into it or is welded, the bare original metal will be exposed and will most likely rust because that is the original reason for the plating...
Hi Rad14701,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed earlier in this thread that you bought a similar adapter, did you use it and if you did, how is it holding up?
Mooqu
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

MooQu wrote:<SNIP>
Hi Rad14701,
Thanks for the reply. I noticed earlier in this thread that you bought a similar adapter, did you use it and if you did, how is it holding up?
No, it is still sitting on the shelf... I have since purchased a copper adapter to use instead, which is also still sitting on the shelf... Time and money constraints have slowed my progress at building my new boiler... Darned real life crap, anyway...!!! :evil:

Here is what the adapter looks like... It will be soldered into the side of a SS boiler...

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

I only ever used mine as a template with which to mock / lay out for the element.
Was a waste of a sodie pop or two.
MooQu
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MooQu »

Thanks, Rad14701 and LWTCS for the replies.

I'll look in to using a copper adapter.
Mooqu