Best $119.99 I've spent in a long time.

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Best $119.99 I've spent in a long time.

Post by bunny »

This is related but on a different level.
In an effort to keep watch on my still operation and stay awake I have done this:
Previously I had a radio with an "oldies" station here in Portland.
However I kept whistling along with the tunes and that gained some unfavorable feedback from those nearby.
So, trying to be happy and awake, I decided to try wi-fi.
I don't have a phone or laptop so I didn't know if the wi-fi would reach the detached garage.
My friend's phone actually picked up my wi-fi signal so I decided to go to the local BestBuy.
Well, this one is a 24" with fire tv built in so I can watch with a number of apps including Netflix, Prime, U-tube, and a few others.
P1050228.JPG
P1050230.JPG
I can sit in my chair, watch the still, and follow who or whatever I want with the remote.
I am not as restless as before.
Check your signals.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best $119.99 I've spent in a long time.

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Browsing and researching olde HD posts is pretty good too! Recommend a tablet or similar..
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hey bunny. Nice add to the shed, for sure. Going with the last recommendation by johnnySpirits, if one of the apps on that TV is a browser, you could get to HD on it without having to get a tablet or computer. You would want to add a wireless keyboard and mouse to make that TV work for browsing the internet.

My favorite tech add to the shed was a $20 Amazon echo dot. It makes hands free math and timers easy. Most common for me is “Alexa. Set timer for 10 minutes.” I also use it for math and conversions. “Alexa, how many liters in a gallon?” And I make lists for stuff I need. “Alexa, add yeast to my shopping list.”

Your PDX neighbor, Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Damn, didn't think about putting a t.v in the garage, I've rekindled my friendship with bluegrass. Probobly for the best, if i watch all my outdoors shows I'll be wanting to go to the range and shoot my guns that i can't find ammo for. 😠
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

OtisT wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm Hey bunny. Nice add to the shed, for sure. Going with the last recommendation by johnnySpirits, if one of the apps on that TV is a browser, you could get to HD on it without having to get a tablet or computer. You would want to add a wireless keyboard and mouse to make that TV work for browsing the internet.

My favorite tech add to the shed was a $20 Amazon echo dot. It makes hands free math and timers easy. Most common for me is “Alexa. Set timer for 10 minutes.” I also use it for math and conversions. “Alexa, how many liters in a gallon?” And I make lists for stuff I need. “Alexa, add yeast to my shopping list.”

Your PDX neighbor, Otis
I'm too paranoid to let AI listen in around my house. Let alone in the garage where I'm making untaxed spirits. But, darn if that doesn't sound convenient.

Edit: post 1933. The year prohibition ended. God bless the 21st amendment :clap:
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am…I'm too paranoid to let AI listen in around my house. Let alone in the garage where I'm making untaxed spirits…
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you!
paranoid?
paranoid?
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:08 am
Deplorable wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am…I'm too paranoid to let AI listen in around my house. Let alone in the garage where I'm making untaxed spirits…
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you!

8BC0AD30-1B58-4171-97BA-93E688E9385A.jpeg
:lol:
I swear my neighbor has a knack for knowing when I'm doing shit I shouldn't, and unlawfully burns garbage in his back yard. Always when I'm running the still and can't call to report it. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bunny »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:49 pm Browsing and researching olde HD posts is pretty good too! Recommend a tablet or similar..
OtisT wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:12 pm Hey bunny. Nice add to the shed, for sure. Going with the last recommendation by johnnySpirits, if one of the apps on that TV is a browser, you could get to HD on it without having to get a tablet or computer. You would want to add a wireless keyboard and mouse to make that TV work for browsing the internet.
Your PDX neighbor, Otis
Sadly there isn't a browser on this tv. However, you guys got me curious. I went to the "room of obsolescence" and there I found my early 2009 iMac that Apple has long since quit supporting software wise. It works and still can do a fair bit of surfing including here.

Thanks for waking me up!
P1050234.JPG
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

You can get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and use the TV as a second monitor.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:47 am I'm too paranoid to let AI listen in around my house. Let alone in the garage where I'm making untaxed spirits. But, darn if that doesn't sound convenient.
That was my first reaction too. "Alexa. Please don't report me to the police."

Way back in the late 90s a friend and I were playing around with early voice recognition software (Anyone remember Dragon Dictate?). He used to delight in wandering into my room and saying "Start menu. Shutdown. Yes". Luckily the software was so voice specific that I could tell it to "Go to sleep" and the computer wouldn't recognise his "Wake up" because of the difference between the northen and southern "U" (This will mean nothing to anyone who doesn't know British accents!).
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers