Element Upkeep

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Element Upkeep

Post by Stonecutter »

My element is starting to pick up some discoloration. I’ve scorched before and PBW worked really well ( https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 85&t=27439 ). I smelled scorch in the middle of my run tonight. Stopped, rinsed off equipment and ended up seeing this new development of brownish stain on the electric element.
EC5823F9-2857-48A0-A0CA-40244107ECE0.jpeg
If it doesn’t get much worse than this do you guys think that this is something that could contribute to off flavors in later runs? How are y’all keeping up your elements?
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Element Upkeep

Post by still_stirrin »

I squirt them (I have 2 in my boiler) with water when rinsing after a run. But, mine run on 120VAC, so they don’t get hot. However, they are 4.5kW ULWD elements just like yours. Never had a scorch even on a cloudy wash. I guess the lower power keeps the local hotspots from happening.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

Some washes create a bit of a brown film on the element. I just use a coarse sponge and PBW every time I see some discoloration. Usually every couple or few runs with wash.

Also, make sure your element is an ultra low watt density, they're much less prone to scorching.
ThomasBrewer
Swill Maker

Post by ThomasBrewer »

I fill the boiler with just enough water to cover the element, add a couple Tbsp of Oxyclean Free, let it heat up to about 88C (190F), let it soak for about 20mins, then use a long bristled carboy brush to get into the folded areas. The junk usually brushes off easily after a soak.

Some have advocated a very quick dry fire to carbonize the residue, but it would be easy to nuke your element if not really careful.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm I squirt them (I have 2 in my boiler) with water when rinsing after a run. But, mine run on 120VAC, so they don’t get hot. However, they are 4.5kW ULWD elements just like yours. Never had a scorch even on a cloudy wash. I guess the lower power keeps the local hotspots from happening.
ss
I’ve run cloudier than today…haven’t I? :crazy: yeah mine are running at 110 at 2kW. I’m a little surprised that you’re able to pull 4.5 out of a 120 voltage supply. Maybe I’m thinking wrong though. The discoloration ain’t too bad.
BrewinBrian44 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pm Some washes create a bit of a brown film on the element. I just use a coarse sponge and PBW every time I see some discoloration. Usually every couple or few runs with wash.

Also, make sure your element is an ultra low watt density, they're much less prone to scorching.
I’ll giv’er a soak in some PBW

I appreciate the input guys.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Toxxyc
Swill Maker

Post by Toxxyc »

I ferment in my distillation kettle, and it seems like the acidic washes keeps the element clean. After fermentation I'll let the wash sit for a few days or weeks to clear up, then I tap off the wash into buckets (the clear wash), rinse out the kettle with a hosepipe to get all the yeast and sediment out, pour the wash back in and run it.

Never had issues, never really needed to clean the kettle or element at all.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

Toxxyc wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:45 pm I ferment in my distillation kettle, and it seems like the acidic washes keeps the element clean. After fermentation I'll let the wash sit for a few days or weeks to clear up, then I tap off the wash into buckets (the clear wash), rinse out the kettle with a hosepipe to get all the yeast and sediment out, pour the wash back in and run it.

Never had issues, never really needed to clean the kettle or element at all.
When cleaning I usually don’t even bother to unclamp the element from the milk can. Just rinse it out with hot water, run my hand around the inside to feel for floaters/scum left behind and let air dry. Maybe I need to take that little added step and actually remove the element and wipe it down with a wet rag. I was really surprised at the occurrence of some scorching this last run. I did tip the fermenter a little more than normal trying to get more out. What a dumbass.
-Thomas Paine
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Stonecutter wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 pm
still_stirrin wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:46 pm I squirt them (I have 2 in my boiler) with water when rinsing after a run. But, mine run on 120VAC, so they don’t get hot. However, they are 4.5kW ULWD elements just like yours. Never had a scorch even on a cloudy wash. I guess the lower power keeps the local hotspots from happening.
ss
I’ve run cloudier than today…haven’t I? :crazy: yeah mine are running at 110 at 2kW. I’m a little surprised that you’re able to pull 4.5 out of a 120 voltage supply. Maybe I’m thinking wrong though. The discoloration ain’t too bad.
Uhhh, I didn’t mean to confuse you. A 4.5kW 240VAC element (ULWD) running on 120VAC only puts out about 1125W, actually slightly less due to voltage loss in the control circuit. So, two elements put out roughly 2kW total. Understand now?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:11 am
Stonecutter wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 pm
ss
Uhhh, I didn’t mean to confuse you. A 4.5kW 240VAC element (ULWD) running on 120VAC only puts out about 1125W, actually slightly less due to voltage loss in the control circuit. So, two elements put out roughly 2kW total. Understand now?
ss
Ahh yes. 10-4
-Thomas Paine
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Sometimes citric acid works very well ... depending on the nature of the burn, often for a deep clean I use citric acid in combination with sodium carbonate (I think it is similar to your PBW) wiping with an abrasive dish cloth
BrewinBrian44
Rumrunner

Post by BrewinBrian44 »

No need to wait and soak in pbw, just dip the coarse sponge in the solution and rub the grime off. Easy Peasy.