Avoid limestone on electrical elements

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Avoid limestone on electrical elements

Post by Demy »

Not a critical thing, but I was wondering if there was a method to prevent the limestone from deposits on the elements in water jacket systems. Generally I take the element, citric acid (or hot backset), I was thinking about a bit of citric acid in the water of the jacket, of course I speak of water that has not passed from any filtering system ... or, put the soul in peace and sometimes clean normally. Interested in your opinions, thank you.
bunny
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Avoid limestone on electrical elements

Post by bunny »

Demy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:42 pm Not a critical thing, but I was wondering if there was a method to prevent the limestone from deposits on the elements in water jacket systems. Generally I take the element, citric acid (or hot backset), I was thinking about a bit of citric acid in the water of the jacket, of course I speak of water that has not passed from any filtering system ... or, put the soul in peace and sometimes clean normally. Interested in your opinions, thank you.
Hi Demy!
Here in the states water heater elements are self cleaning.
Your water jacket you refer to should be somewhat similar to a residential electric water heater.
When the lime has built up enough it will crack thereby letting water in between the lime and the element.
That water now will boil and "blow off" little chips of lime to settle in the bottom of your heater.
Our heaters have drain valves so we can flush out the chips.
The big deal is to flush often enough to not let the chips bury the element and cause an overheating burnout.
The elements usually last many years of daily residential use.
Lime on your element should not be a maintenance issue for you in your circumstance.
bunny :D
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

bunny wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:45 am
Demy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:42 pm Not a critical thing, but I was wondering if there was a method to prevent the limestone from deposits on the elements in water jacket systems. Generally I take the element, citric acid (or hot backset), I was thinking about a bit of citric acid in the water of the jacket, of course I speak of water that has not passed from any filtering system ... or, put the soul in peace and sometimes clean normally. Interested in your opinions, thank you.
Hi Demy!
Here in the states water heater elements are self cleaning.
Your water jacket you refer to should be somewhat similar to a residential electric water heater.
When the lime has built up enough it will crack thereby letting water in between the lime and the element.
That water now will boil and "blow off" little chips of lime to settle in the bottom of your heater.
Our heaters have drain valves so we can flush out the chips.
The big deal is to flush often enough to not let the chips bury the element and cause an overheating burnout.
The elements usually last many years of daily residential use.
Lime on your element should not be a maintenance issue for you in your circumstance.
bunny :D
Yes, I disassembled several times of the water heaters (sometimes transformed for example in BBQ), my jacket is "removable" that is, I can extract the internal boiler and have access to the inside, it was just my curiosity, my water when boiled form A nice limestone patina, usually use citric acid ... I wondered if you could pre-acidify the water to neutralize the phenomenon ... but these are things for chemists! :roll: :lol:
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

You can use sodium percarbonate to precipitate out some of the calcium. I don't think that the water is drinkable afterwards but you should have fewer limescale problems.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers