What do you guys think of this for an electric burner?

If it plugs in, post it here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bcook608
Rumrunner

What do you guys think of this for an electric burner?

Post by bcook608 »

Carnival King 16" Crepe maker - 120v

It is large enough to hold my 5 gal stock pot and appears to be more than capable of producing the heat needed to get everything running. It has a tubular element which should mean I can bypass the thermostatic controller and run my own rheostat. I was thinking about removing the stock dial and inserting my own with an ammeter. What do you guys think? I know 240v would be better but 120 is what I have until I can get an extra outlet installed.

I haven't been able to really get a good look at the guts of the machine, but when I looked up replacement parts, it looked like it had all the hardware I should be looking for. I'm just trying to find an element that is large enough to cover the majority of the bottom of my stock pot because I feel like a "large" 8 inch burner would create too much of a hot spot even with a diffuser plate.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What do you guys think of this for an electric burner?

Post by subbrew »

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see the power (watts). I suspect it is not that high since it is made to be cooked in directly. that would be my worry as you need all the watts you can get on a hotplate type burner.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

subbrew wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:11 pm Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see the power (watts). I suspect it is not that high since it is made to be cooked in directly. that would be my worry as you need all the watts you can get on a hotplate type burner.
When I looked up the replacement burner it was listed as 120v x 1750w.
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

On a spirit run I'm generally run less than 1500W. Quite often starting at less than half that although I will often boost to 3000W at heat up to shorten then heat up time. The pot still simulator on the parent site will show you the estimated heat up time for a given power and volume of wash.
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

link says it costs $239.99US.
maybe at least consider a Digiboil for only $199US?
the 220v version has 2400w, lids are available for triclover etc
good temp control for mashing.
or even the brewzilla, price is going up but...........?
the version 3 is going to be superseded soon.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/robob ... -220v.html
(bloody hell, the prices for these are expensive in the us)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm sure I've seen cheaper, workable, options posted here. Try the Google Search. Avoid solid plates.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

The crepe maker boasts a heavy top. Would help spread out heat but will slow down adjustment times. If you're working with (mostly) clear washes I'd rather have a faster adjustment time.

Also, the Cadco, which many of us use, is a bit cheaper and if left on high doesn't cycle. I, and many others use it unmodified with an external heat control with no issues.

https://www.zoro.com/cadco-hot-plate-si ... bsQAvD_BwE

But I think it would work, and it looks beefy and cool! You'd want to make sure it can handle the weight of a full kettle. Figure 4 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, plus the pot, plus the riser or column, condenser, cooling liquid, you can quickly end up over 50 pounds for a 5 gallon kettle. Definitely a consideration for any solution.

Good luck!

TwoSheds
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

bcook608 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 pm
subbrew wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:11 pm Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see the power (watts). I suspect it is not that high since it is made to be cooked in directly. that would be my worry as you need all the watts you can get on a hotplate type burner.
That would 14.5 amps if your circuit can handle it. I use a 1500W hotplate for a 2.5 gallon boiler and it works well set at about 50-60% power for a spirit run.

I also use a thick aluminum diffusor plate which slows down the reaction time when making power adjustments but also feel like it spreads the power out a bit over the bottom of the boiler and prevents focused hot spots if I’m running with botanical type materials in the boiler.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am
bcook608 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:51 pm
That would 14.5 amps if your circuit can handle it. I use a 1500W hotplate for a 2.5 gallon boiler and it works well set at about 50-60% power for a spirit run.

I also use a thick aluminum diffusor plate which slows down the reaction time when making power adjustments but also feel like it spreads the power out a bit over the bottom of the boiler and prevents focused hot spots if I’m running with botanical type materials in the boiler.

Cheers!
-j
Yeah, after further consideration and research, I'm just going to go with an internal submerged element for portability and versatility. Since I don't have 220, I'm going with a 6500w 220 element running on 110 which will get me roughly 1625w at max power with around 14.77 amps so as long as I use a 15a circuit, I should be good. I'm just going to start with a simple SCR Controller like suggested above and I will upgrade as needed down the road.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

That element sounds like it needs a matching keg :)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You don't have to have only one type of element. An element under the pot and another in the pot gives you more options.

One of my stills has been run over gas, electric, solar and wood. I even managed to get it to do a gin run over a burner fired using my Bokakob heads.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

RC Al wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:39 am That element sounds like it needs a matching keg :)
I have a 26 gallon keg boiler, but I have to lay low for a bit so I'm modifying my small still for indoor use.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Will the cadco burner handle a 50 pound set up?
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

pumpman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:51 am Will the cadco burner handle a 50 pound set up?
Their specs say 15 lb max, and I wouldn't go a lot higher than that. I've probably done close to 30 but all the weight is right on the burner. You could build an accompanying stand to support the boiler, alignment might be tricky, but at 50 pounds you definitely need something.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

bcook608 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:56 pm I know 240v would be better but 120 is what I have until I can get an extra outlet installed.
If your circuit breaker box has open slots then it's really simple to just snap in a breaker and connect the wires to a cable. You can use GFCI breaker. 240V breakers typically take up two slots in in the box like shown below:
60JL35_AS01.jpg

If you don't have an open slot, there are 120V breakers like shown below that provide two circuits for a single slot. These can be used to replace some existing breakers to open up a slot for a 240V breaker. There's always a solution.
60JL28_AS01.jpg

Everyone may have a different situation. Some rent, some must distill far away from a breaker box, some have easy access to electricity within a garage, some have a basement below, etc... Some have to run a relatively heavy aluminum cable to a breaker in the box like a long extension cord when they want to distill while others can easily fish the cable where they want it and wire it to a receptacle.
pumpman
Swill Maker

Post by pumpman »

Damn it
Likker in the front and poker in the rear
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

bcook608 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 pm

Yeah, after further consideration and research, I'm just going to go with an internal submerged element for portability and versatility. Since I don't have 220, I'm going with a 6500w 220 element running on 110 which will get me roughly 1625w at max power with around 14.77 amps so as long as I use a 15a circuit, I should be good. I'm just going to start with a simple SCR Controller like suggested above and I will upgrade as needed down the road.
I think the internal element is a great plan.

You want to stay at under 80% of the breakers rated output for sustained use. So go to a 20A breaker, wiring and outlet or a 5000w (1250w) element.
:)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:12 am
pumpman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:51 am Will the cadco burner handle a 50 pound set up?
Their specs say 15 lb max, and I wouldn't go a lot higher than that. I've probably done close to 30 but all the weight is right on the burner. You could build an accompanying stand to support the boiler, alignment might be tricky, but at 50 pounds you definitely need something.
I have a cadco burner that regularly supports a 2.5 gallon copper alembic - full of liquid weight that's approximately 25# - not sure how much the copper weighs but I'd estimate regular 30-35# use with no issues... The weight on the burner element is supported by little steel arms. 50# would probably be fine but not too much more?

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:42 am
bcook608 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:56 pm I know 240v would be better but 120 is what I have until I can get an extra outlet installed.
If your circuit breaker box has open slots then it's really simple to just snap in a breaker and connect the wires to a cable. You can use GFCI breaker. 240V breakers typically take up two slots in in the box like shown below:
60JL35_AS01.jpg

If you don't have an open slot, there are 120V breakers like shown below that provide two circuits for a single slot. These can be used to replace some existing breakers to open up a slot for a 240V breaker. There's always a solution.
60JL28_AS01.jpg

Everyone may have a different situation. Some rent, some must distill far away from a breaker box, some have easy access to electricity within a garage, some have a basement below, etc... Some have to run a relatively heavy aluminum cable to a breaker in the box like a long extension cord when they want to distill while others can easily fish the cable where they want it and wire it to a receptacle.
I think I'm going to use the 220v outlet from our electric stove. It's on a 50a breaker so it'll handle plenty of power. But the extension cord (50a 6/3 cable rated for 12500w) I need is going to cost about $200 and it seems that's the cheapest I'll be able to get for a 50ft run of wire.
bcook608
Rumrunner

Post by bcook608 »

I have to run it to my bedroom to avoid the authorities (my wife's grandmother). But it'll be worth it if I can cut down the time of my stripping runs. Guess I'll start saving with hoped 9f conversion shortly after the new year.
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantc ... 2kEALw_wcB

how about an induction burner? This one can be set for a straight power wattage setting