Propane burners

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ozzie34231
Novice

Propane burners

Post by ozzie34231 »

I'm pondering what size burner I'd need for 5 gallon runs in a 1/4 keg.
I looked up some info, definition of BTU, weight of a gallon of water, etc.
If I got it right, 5 gal water weighs 41 lbs, and I'd want to raise the temp roughly 100 degrees F , and I think that indicates only 4100 BTU's.
But none of that says anything about time! If I see a 35,000 BTU burner, is that 35,000 in a minute, hour, what?
I understand all the extraneous stuff, need to heat the keg, heat loss, the liquid might not be water, etc.
What size burner do I need?
Ozzie
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Re: Propane burners

Post by goinbroke2 »

BTU = British Thermal Unit
I forget the exact definition but one unit will heat up one...something in one hour.

I use 72,000 to heat 15gal keg. Takes 1 hour from light to foreshots. (approx)

You could use my 72,000 and just turn it down. In other words, if you see a 35,000btu unit, use it. Worse case scenario is you only use from 1/4 to 1/2 setting, never using wide open. The alternative is finding a smaller one but how much smaller until you've gone too far?

Keep it simple, get a 72,000 and run it on low, then when you get the bigger still built (oh yes you will, don't argue) you will have enough heat and not need to buy another burner.
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Mud Mechanik
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mud Mechanik »

A British Thermal Unit (BTU) is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree F. Goingbroke is correct, you will build bigger. MM
Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway----John Wayne
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

I bought this one from McMaster Carr and I LOVE it!!! It says 35000 btu is the rating, what I like about it is the fine control when coupled with an adjustable regulator. Anyway, thats just me.... WD
Attachments
Part #3310K42
Part #3310K42
ozzie34231
Novice

Post by ozzie34231 »

Cool, thanks for the replies.
I bought the 35,000 unit on 'Bay for $19; looks a lot like the McMaster unit.
I hooked it up; didn't work worth a shit. I took it all apart, blew all out with air, reassembled, works good.
Then I got to reading about using an adjustable pressure regulator. Well I didn't want to spend $25 on an experiment, but I had/have an Argon regulator.
After some trips today to the hardware store, I got that working. The results are great. My guess is that I was able to double the heat output. It might be that I can go farther by increasing the jet sizes. Anyway I'm sure I'll get to a boil in an hour or so; that's my goal.
As for building bigger; I doubt it. I did all this 40 years ago and after a few successful runs I lost interest. Once I achieve some success in a hobby I drift away. I've been through; model airplanes, photography, cheese making, sausage making and smoking, beer and wine making, distilling, and CNC machining. All that between trying to earn a living.
But I discovered this site and group and I've got the hots to do this again. The group certainly does inspire!
I have a bunch of copper parts coming and within a couple weeks I'll be cookin'
My still will be a bit different and if it works I'll post the design. Right now I have the 1/4 keg for cookin', a 1/2 keg for mashin', fermenting. Gonna work outside, the garage is crammed full of machinery.
Thanks all,
Ozzie
Whitedog
Swill Maker

Post by Whitedog »

Looking forward to seein pics of your build!! Good Luck, maybe you'll stay with it longer with th inspiration of this forum.... "Gotta Love It!!" WD