diffuser plate for propane burner

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TexianPatriot
Novice

diffuser plate for propane burner

Post by TexianPatriot »

Has anyone ever used one? What are your experiences with it? My once nice stainless steel boiler ashes over badly each time I run my still, and a fine layer of soot starts to accumulate in the garage. I make sure I clean both the burner and the boiler off as best as I can after each run with a scouring pad, but some of the discoloration at the base of the boiler is permanent. Any ideas on what I can do to keep things cleaner? I've read mixed results about electric hotplates, so I'm hesitant to purchase one. I don't boil more than five gallons at a time.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: diffuser plate for propane burner

Post by Dnderhead »

it sound like it is not burning right or pot could be to close to flame.
try adjusting air shutter, iv noticed that some do not git enough air when turned down.
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Braz »

Propane should burn clean and not produce soot. What burner do you have?
Braz
TexianPatriot
Novice

Post by TexianPatriot »

The burner I have now is stainless steel. I bought it specifically thinking it would be easier to clean/maintain than the previous burner (standard steel) which started producing soot before I replaced it. I guess with extended/prolonged use over time, they just don't maintain a good quality flame. When it was new, it put out a mostly blue flame with tinges of orange at the tips. Now it is just blue at the base of the burner and mostly an orange flame. I think the flame being too high may have something to do with it too. It seems when the flame comes into contact with the base of the still, it smokes/soots up, and when there is nothing being heated, it doesn't produce soot.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

TexianPatriot,

If your propane burner is causing a fine layer of soot to accumulate in your garage you have a serious problem with your propane burner.

Are you certain that you are in fact using a regulator that is specifically designed for propane? Perhaps it would be beneficial if you provided the manufacture name and model number of your propane burner AND regulator.

Have you ever considered installing an electric heating element inside your boiler and controlling the electric heating element with a phase angle controller?

Regards,
Coaster
C. Morrison
Novice

Post by C. Morrison »

Make sure you have an adequate supply of outside fresh air for combustion, or the burner will soot no matter the adjustment.
Open a window or door to reduce carbon monoxide as well..
TexianPatriot
Novice

Post by TexianPatriot »

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =662858433" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

this is the exact burner I have minus the turkey frying pot. I'm 99.9% sure it was designed to burn propane. I'll try letting a little more air flow into the garage by keeping the fully opened instead of just partially. My garage has no windows, so opening one isn't an option. I'll park my truck in front to conceal my activities from neighbors and will try to remove all the stains from the bottom of the boiler with some abrasive sandpaper. If soot is still being produced at unacceptable levels, I may have to look into getting another burner and/or distill less wash each run. It's a vicious cycle too. Once soot starts accumulating on the bottom of the boiler, you need more heat to keep it up to temp. More heat/flame equals more soot produced. It sucks.

An internal heating element would be extremely difficult as the opening of the boiler is only two inches in diameter.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

check for bugs/spiders/rust etc.
Titus-a-fishus
Swill Maker

Post by Titus-a-fishus »

If it is a yellow flame with just a hint of the blue at the bottom, the burner isn't getting enough air.
The air vent may be blocked or perhaps has been partially shut off.
The vent is just before the burner..... the round thing after the black flex hose.

Open up the vent fully and see what happens.

TAF
We haven't got the money so now we have to think
Build it, don't buy it
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I cut a circle of expanded metal (heavy mesh) that works well for me.

BNG
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ TexianPatriot,

Suggest using an air compressor or leaf blower and blow out your burner to ensure that all the air passages of the propane burner are free of any obstructions that would impede airflow to the burner. Insects have been known to build nest in propane burners.

Your propane burner has an air inlet “Air Shutter” that is used to adjust the airflow to the burner. You need to adjust the “Air Shutter” until the tips of the flame of your burner is blue. The below Web Page link provides a picture of a typical propane air inlet “Air Shutter”.

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/images ... spring.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The most likely cause of the soot buildup is the flame from the burner touching the bottom of the pot. Raise the pot until just the tips of the flame just touches the bottom of the pot and adjust the “Air Shutter” until you get all blue flame tips. Also don’t “over drive” your burner. Only open the valve on your regulator to the point that the flame is just touching the bottom of your pot. Opening the regulator valve any further is only wasting propane and will cause the soot build up problem.

Regards,
Coaster
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

....An internal heating element would be extremely difficult as the opening of the boiler is only two inches in diameter....
@ TexianPatriot,

I am not talking about attempting to stick an electric heating element in your boiler’s 2 inch outlet.

I am referring to installing an electric water heater internal heating element in your stainless steel boiler. Using a “heating element conversion plate” and a tri clamp ferrule it is not difficult to convert a stainless steel boiler to electric operation.

Suggest viewing the below YouTube video which explains what I am referring to ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSxR9Gb3CSs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Also suggest viewing the forum PSR-25 phase angle controller threads for information on how to make a PSR-25 phase angle controller to control an electric water heater internal heating element.

Regards,
Coaster
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

As suggested make sure the inside of the burner is clean. Along with the flame ports. The carbon could be built up in the little holes that produce the flames. I have to clean mine out all the time. I use a torch tip cleaner on mine. If they are blocked it will not pull the needed oxygen in through the vent shutter. And always oxygen or the lack of causes yellow flame and soot. So the most ventilation is always best. For the burner and you!
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

TexianPatriot wrote:and will try to remove all the stains from the bottom of the boiler with some abrasive sandpaper
Hey Tejas Pat please don't take sandpaper to that stainless boiler. It's making my skin crawl just thinking about it. If you take the polished/passivated coating off of stainless it can and will rust. If ya wanna scrub it use 100% stainless steel or copper scrubbers like what's used to pack reflux columns. It won't scratch the coating. And if you really wanna shine it up get some Barkeeper's Friend. Best stuff in the world to spit shine stainless....without the spit....
Prairiepiss wrote:The carbon could be built up in the little holes that produce the flames. I have to clean mine out all the time.
I'd say PP has nailed it if the vent and venturi are clear you probably have carbon build up or rust closing the flame ports. I run a proper sized drill bit through mine when they start closing up. Hope this helps. And I hope I beat you to the sandpaper.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Tater Patch Kid
Bootlegger

Post by Tater Patch Kid »

I hope you have fixed the problem by now!!! You should not be running this burner untill you have a clean burn. What you are produceing is carbon monoxide. Your flame tips are getting quenched if to close to the boiler causeing the soot. first open them air vents and clean the burner. If it still won't run right get rid of regulater or the whole burner. i did not look at your link, it don't matter to me but it sounds like a p.o.s. :(
QUIT USEING IT. very dangerous. no windows, leave that door open,
Safety first.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

bad LP???????
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

not bad gas....

but I do know about that... :sick: :sick:

Like others have said, the burner is not getting enough air. Open the air door where the hose meets the burner. If its new that should be your only problem. It could be clogged with something inside the actual cast burner, so blow it out.

As far as cleaning that soot. Try spraying the black soot with Pam or any kind of spray oil. An oily rag works too. Oil is the key. It will catch the soot and keep in from gettting on everything. Spray it, and wipe it off. It will stain the metal permanently, but don't worry about that. Just use the oily rag or spray it with pam and wipe the soot off. Then you can wash it with soap and water. Oil first! Then water... no sandpaper...
this is the internet