Jet propane burners

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Copperpot85
Novice

Jet propane burners

Post by Copperpot85 »

Anyone used any of these? I found a single burner. It will do 180,000 btu's. I am using it in 25 gallons. The math adds up to get temp up in about 30 or so minutes with about 70% efficiency. Just wondering if that's to much heat for my copper and soldier. Any comments will be helpful thanks
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: Jet propane burners

Post by bellybuster »

I use the jet burners in my brewery. They are waaay over rated btu wise. I don't think you stand a chance of getting up in 30 minutes for 25 gallons
if this is the ones you are talking about.
The performance can be dramatically increased by deburring and polishing some the inside surfaces. They are pretty rough cast. I was really surprised the difference after cleaning mine up
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

I don't think of that as a jet burner. Here's what I had in mind...

[img]https://www.google.com/search?q=jet+pro ... 4Gh5zgM%3A
Last edited by F6Hawk on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

ha, wouldn't be the first time I wasted my time. You may be right.
Copperpot85
Novice

Post by Copperpot85 »

Well the one I found is made by byou classic and it is a single burning with one hole in the middle. It's here at amazon.b
Last edited by Copperpot85 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copperpot85
Novice

Post by Copperpot85 »

The add says 180,000 btu's. It shoots a single flame against the deflector plate. I ordered it earlier today. I'm am going to try it out before to long bannana has been running about two days.
Attachments
image.jpg
Doogie
Trainee

Post by Doogie »

just get a turkey frier .. sheesh ... I gotta sotp tryung to sample my product .... :oops:
LTV - "keep in mind distilling is like masturbating. You do one wrong and you go blind."

Want to keep people from consulting idiots on youTube about distilling?? Don't be an idiot when someone asks for advice ... Help them
Copperpot85
Novice

Post by Copperpot85 »

I have a turkey fryer. I'm looking for a little more power
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it some ear plugs..
Copperpot85
Novice

Post by Copperpot85 »

Will do because it is some kind of loud. Can't wait to try it. I am going to build a steel plate to go on top so it will heat more even. It sounds like a jet plane.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Perhaps a heat shroud would be a better investment than a hotter burner... A beer keg only needs so many BTU's, as would a larger boiler (pushing hobby scale)... Several members have constructed heat shrouds from steel barrels and garbage cans... Holding the heat close to the sides of the boiler increases efficiency... Simply blasting heat into the atmosphere is just wasteful...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

heat shrouds and fireproof insulation jackets are definitely on my todo list. Im pissing through propane tanks like freakin mad.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
oakback
Novice

Post by oakback »

Before I switched to electric, I used a Bayou Classic 2-jet burner (just like the one pictured above, but with 2 jets and no deflector plate). Someone mentioned to get a higher ABV from a reflux, I should run it hot and slow to increase reflux. That burner could suck through so much propane, it was ridiculous. I wish I still had a practical use for it, it's an awesome burner. I also leave it outside, and it's held up against the Florida elements nicely.