Pulsating stream on LP pot still

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

1965 wite
Swill Maker

Pulsating stream on LP pot still

Post by 1965 wite »

So I'm running a full size keg, 2" 3' long column, 3' long Liebig condenser, and propane for heat. I've built a box around the burner to keep the wind from blowing on the flame. I'm getting a pulsing flow no matter what I do. The heat is as consistent as I can get it. Wondering if this is just how propane heat is. Will electric heat produce a more consistent output flow? I've read here and there that you want a consistent flow of 2-4 drops per second for spirit runs. Can a pulsing flow affect the flavor or affect the cut process?
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Pulsating stream on LP pot still

Post by goose eye »

Suckin air. Worm aint right. Shock coolin.I'd be checkin for leaks
it don't matter the heat

So I'm tole
Andy Capp
Swill Maker

Post by Andy Capp »

I've had this happen when my liebig didn't have enough fall. Needs at least 45` angle so the spirit can fall away quickly without being pushed by incoming vapor. Can also get it from cooling the liebig too much. Needs to feel hot at the top and cool at the bottom with a warm touch halfway.
A hangover is when you open your eyes in the morning and wish you hadn't.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

Pot still output should be more then drops per second. Crank the heat up till its a small pencil lead sized stream.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
BentJar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BentJar »

Take pictures of your rig and we can help you nail that puppy. As stated, more output might correct the pulse. Fast drips to small stream for potstill.
OLD MAN IN THE SHED
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Is this the strip or the spirit run?

2 to 4 drops / second is for a reflux spirit. Your strip should be faster (pencil stream). You can turn up the heat. And like suggested, make sure you have a gradient on your condenser water temperature.

Finally, with a 2" diameter x 36" long column, you could insulate it to keep the heat in it as the vapor rises. There may be some reflux happening while you're trying to run it as a potstill. That isn't causing the pulsing, but could be slowing your take off speed.

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

still_stirrin wrote:2 to 4 drops / second is for a reflux spirit. Your strip should be faster (pencil stream). You can turn up the heat.
Since when...??? There's no such thing as drips per second for any pot still, whether stripping run or spirit run... Stripping run is as fast as your product condenser can adequately handle... Spirit run is a broken to twisted stream...

Let's not be clouding the issue by giving inaccurate information to novices... Or, another way of putting it, we don't need the blind leading the blind... This has all been covered here in these forums as well as on the parent site so when in doubt, research it to make sure you're doing, or advising, fundamentals correctly... Not pointing any fingers, just stating the facts...

I do see where still_stirrin has mentioned reflux, but that just further clouds the issue here...