Propane Burners

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Propane Burners

Post by v-child » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:40 pm

corene1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:25 pm
I used a Victor Journeyman regulator. The fitting to hook the hose to can be removed. I replaced it with a standard acetylene torch control knob then used a standard acetylene connector and crimped a standard 6 foot propane hose to it with the standard propane connector on the end of that to attach to the burner. You can see the control knob coming out from the regulator. With both pressure control and the control knob heat is very easy to control. Plus it lets you shut the gas off at the regulator instead of the burner.
DSC00946.JPG
Very clever. One one my issues with the standard propane controls that usually come with the burners is that they seem to be affected by the rate of gas (cold) going through them early and I have to fool around every ten minutes or so getting my flame where I want it. I have a cheap regulator on order and the control knob I have to work on finding. Probably a used ebay torch. Thanks.

corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:28 pm

If you have a welding supply store in your area they will most likely have a person that does torch repair. Ask them for his contact number and tell them what you are looking for. I got mine for $10.00 dollars because it was used and had a very slight leak in the seal face. It is easier and faster for this guy to just install a new control valve in the barrel. No need to find a sacrificial torch barrel unless it is really cheap. Then you will have 2 controllers. One O2 and 1 acetylene . If you have trouble finding one let me know I will see what is available here and send it to you. Remember your regulator must have 1/4 NPT female on the flow line hookup point.

v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:07 am

corene1 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:28 pm
If you have a welding supply store in your area they will most likely have a person that does torch repair. Ask them for his contact number and tell them what you are looking for. ..........
I figure that I'll pick up a fair torch head at a pawn shop for cheap, especially if it basically junk otherwise. I've done a little oxy-acetylene (mostly brazing) in the past so I know exactly what you are talking about. I do know that some of the torches have the valve body built in to the handle. I'll look for those that don't. Thanks Correne, not many people out there will take the time to dole out good advice.