Navien Tankless Water Heater (on demand) Uses?

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

coastershiner
Bootlegger

Navien Tankless Water Heater (on demand) Uses?

Post by coastershiner »

This thread is a dicussion on the possible use of an "ON DEMAND" water heater as a boiler heat source. In my job I have collected a stack of these things. They dont work great in my area to begin with due to poor water quality, plus they get installed improperly often and people want them out of their homes after a few too many cold showers. The units that I have are only a couple years old and do still function, just not reliable enough to count on for that shower every morning. The brand that I have the most of is Navien, although I do have two Bosch heaters as well. They can get up to 185 degree output water temp. *The navien water heaters are a wall hung, condensing, natural gas fired appliance. Does anyone have any ideas for a use of these?
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Re: Navien Tankless Water Heater (on demand) Uses?

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

I'd take one off your hands ;)

Those naviens seem to be very problematic from what I here, likely due to installation/sizing issues as with most gas appliances...
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

I was hoping you would see this! I almost pm'd you about this topic before I posted the thread.
Ya man if you want one, got one with your name on it, you know where to find me.
Since these things are so expensive and not something many people would be able to simply just add to their still room, I dont think there has been much thought about their use in our hobby. Dont know what that use may be, I have no real ideas yet.
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I know nothing about this product, that being said....

Could it be used as a heater for ferments?

How about pre-heating wash? Or pre heating thumper charge to shoot the thumper?

If I come up with the best idea do I get one for free!? :lol:
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

With what should be some simple modifications you could turn it into a continuous steam injection rig. Be perfect for stripping on the grain.

I don't know if it would work. Maybe a Google search? Someone who knows more about them?

Yak
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

What about a RIMS? Add a temp controller ( PID or stc-1000). But of piping. Got yourself a nice mash tun.
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I have a dif brand and love it.

If you can adjust to 185F it would save time in a normal mash. I wouldn't think of pumping any solids through one.

I also know restaurants do this for dish washers by "dazy chaining" them (called a booster) to get to 200F.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
coastershiner
Bootlegger

Post by coastershiner »

That bosch units are all copper, but the nav is got a lot of plastic components, and definalty no solids they have a fine inlet screen that would plug up with any residue from the wash. I was imagining some type of indirect heat source, like a jacketed boiler. I haven't got to the stage in this hobby where im mashing yet, still just working on washes. But I love to build stuff, and have a collection of kegs I could mod to anything I choose.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Pumping hot water or antifreeze through a coil in your mash or whatever might be just the thing.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden