Standard reg verses HP reg

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Standard reg verses HP reg

Post by Yummyrum »

In another topic we were discussing gas burners and Standard Regs verses HP regs .
Some members were curious about what a gas flame looks like .So as not to go too far OT on that topic I thought I'd start this .

Here's my three ring banjo on a standard reg . The flame is about 1/2" high at most .
This is about where I run my 4" 4 plate still ..perhaps a bit higher but not much more
It would be fine to run my VM 2" if I was not a chicken :lolno:
Bango on a standard reg.jpg
Here's my HP reg connected and cranked up a bit more .
HP reg More gas.jpg
This is turned up about as far as I can go without a boiler above it . The flames are literally blowing out because the gas pressure is so high .The red flame is due to all the rust that is getting burnt ( I stuck a poker down a few holes that were getting blocked )
If I turn it up any more without a keg above it , the flame will basically blow itself out ....pointless
This is about where I would strip , not super fast but does the job :thumbup:
HP reg medium.jpg
When I put a keg on it , the keg holds the flame on the burner. This is flat chat , it is ridiculously high and flames are coming up the side of the keg .Even during stripping , I wouldn't run anywhere near this :shock:
HP reg flat out.jpg
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Standard reg verses HP reg

Post by Swedish Pride »

I'd be far to chicken to run a burner like that in my shed, with my luck I'd burn the whole village down
Don't be a dick
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I guess I'm gonna get me a HP reg
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well my 3 ring bango is crap to the point I'm considering going back to my single ring burner but that said the HP reg is the only way to go. I use to use a home made crab cooker dubbed the BD747 on another forum and bloody hell. Full rip the flame would easily go 10 to 12 ft high, the main problem I had with it was it would soot running it low enough for a column. My two ring worked great but when I changed to an 18 gal boiler the gas lines were exposed to too much heat so enter the bango and what a bitch of a thing that has been. Just poorly made with the manifold not matching the intake and I foolishly persisted with it instead of returning it so what happens is if I turn it up enough to work it will blow itself out on the outside ring. If I turn it down enough to avoid it it is not hot enough to generate the required vapour speed. The big issue with this is it uses way too much gas. That said it would be useless used with the provided standard regulator, again not enough BTUs. HP regs are the way to go for sure but it seems with burners big is not always better.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Swedish Pride wrote: with my luck I'd burn the whole village down
Take some pics , you might be excused :lol:
cuginosgrizzo wrote:I guess I'm gonna get me a HP reg
Definitely worth it
thecroweater wrote:Well my 3 ring bango is crap to the point I'm considering going back to my single ring burner but that said the HP reg is the only way to go. I use to use a home made crab cooker dubbed the BD747 on another forum and bloody hell. Full rip the flame would easily go 10 to 12 ft high, the main problem I had with it was it would soot running it low enough for a column. My two ring worked great but when I changed to an 18 gal boiler the gas lines were exposed to too much heat so enter the bango and what a bitch of a thing that has been. Just poorly made with the manifold not matching the intake and I foolishly persisted with it instead of returning it so what happens is if I turn it up enough to work it will blow itself out on the outside ring. If I turn it down enough to avoid it it is not hot enough to generate the required vapour speed. The big issue with this is it uses way too much gas. That said it would be useless used with the provided standard regulator, again not enough BTUs. HP regs are the way to go for sure but it seems with burners big is not always better.
Shame you got a dud Crow . I had a 2 ring that was a piece of shit .that thing would randomly blow flames back out the air intake and start smoldering like it was going to back burn to the gas bottle .
Seen that 747 video ...that thing is mad .
That's what surprised me about this thing was how the flames blow themselves out so easily with nothing above yet the 747 just kept going :thumbup:

I have a similar issue with mine Crow . I generally only run it as a 2 ring once I start to crank it a bit .
What I did find is that you need to warm the burner up ...I know ..sounds weird . I bloke on another forum told me this and it seems to be true . If its cold , the flames tend to blow them selves out if you push it too hard . after about 5-10 minutes , the cast iron heats up and the flames hold a lot better and you can start to crank it a bit more ....but I still can only really use it as a 2 ring . Don't worry about the middle burner.

And Yup , I was bitterly disappointed when I first tried it on a standard reg ..its totally lame :thumbdown: