Blichmann hellfire floor burner...

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Blichmann hellfire floor burner...

Post by Chauncey »

Ive heard alot about these burners from homebrewers i know

they are supposed to be hella rugged and well made. anyone here use one?

https://www.blichmannengineering.com/he ... urner.html
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
bubba
Bootlegger

Re: Blichmann hellfire floor burner...

Post by bubba »

holy smokes NOLA
look at dem orifices
140,000 btu /hr my word
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Also if everyone wants to list their burner make and model and boiler type, keg, kettle, custom... it would be a useful resource thread for future members. especially if you include some notes. i use an old circular king kooker and it requires angle iron strips to get the keg around the circle. definitely upgrading.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

This burner may appear to have a hefty price tag, but it is actually a reasonable price for a burner of that design and quality. I made my own burner stand and it cost me approx the same amount, maybe a little less, but that's because I do not own a welder. I had the frame powder coated locally too rather than using high temp spray paint. I'd post some pics, but my PhotoBucket pics are useless until I pay to access them.

It would be nice if this Blichmann burner had adjustable feet to eliminate any wobble. That should be an easy upgrade though.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

After a lengthy search I changed my preference from the Blichmann to the hotplate burner from Tejas Smokers. The steel stand had a wider footprint and a keg fits on it perfectly. It is heavy. It also included welded wind guards on three sides and the ability to upgrade in burner output (LPG and NG). The beefy construction is nice since I typically torque my keg around on the stand during stripping heat-up to dislodge any wash sludge that may have settled to the bottom of the keg.

This was also a good choice for me since I bought the wok ring to go with it for stir fry, and the burner itself has 'feet' on it that allows me to place it in my brick oven. Lastly, it fits nicely in my smoker firebox for the times I want to roast something in the summer months and don't want to heat the house up.

The only hang-up I had was actually acquiring the burner from Tejas Smokers in Houston. As luck would have it, Hurricane Harvey had just hit, and knocked all the phones out. When communications were restored the Tejas folks answered the phone, standing in 18 inches of water. The guys at Tejas were not to be deterred, and I still got my burner in just a coupla more days.

NG Burner.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Skinnerback
Novice

Post by Skinnerback »

I love mine. It may be overpowered for some pots but, works great on my keggle. Quiet too.
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

I have an older blichmann and it works I wish the base was wider for anything bigger than a 15 gallon keg.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
Crisppy123
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crisppy123 »

The hell fires what i run and i love it adjustable pot holders fits the keg beautiful but can be opened or closed and she gets a 12gal batch dripping in under a hour not cranked all the way up (haven't actually timed it yet )
Don't have any issues with it
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

What I'd like to know is how well they simmer. All of them can blast away. I use mine for other stuff like canning and cooking so being really adjustable with a good low simmer is important. I'm getting close to needing to replace the one I have,
Crisppy123
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crisppy123 »

It can hold a pretty low flame with out issue i haven't really tried holding it a low simmer though
stillanoob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillanoob »

Thanks Crispy. For a true simmer I have a piece of plate steel.
Oldhenry1
Novice

Post by Oldhenry1 »

I have the version before the Hellfire. It's one of three in a Blichman tower Brewing set-up I picked up a little while back.
I don't have any experience with it yet though. It's a Banjo style.
I also have a high pressure cast iron tulip style burner that I brew in a Keggle with that I will be trying first since I have a Keg Boiler.