keg valve high power burner

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

absinthe
Rumrunner

keg valve high power burner

Post by absinthe »

need a use for all the old keg valves you have laying around? i have a great use for them

a high power gas burner, a blown natural gas burner:

all you need is:

1X a beefy fan (im useing a hairdrier to start till i find a better fan)

1X one inch T

1X 1 inch to 1/2 inch reducer

1X 1 inch threaded ball valve

1X 1 inch pipe to thread adapter

1X 1 inch threaded pipe barb

some 1/2 inch pipe and some 3/8 pipe

hacksaw n' some other bits n bobs

oh and your keg barb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z6rxRnYMA4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Whiskey, the most popular of the cold cures that don't work (Leonard Rossiter)
HookLine
retired

Re: keg valve high power burner

Post by HookLine »

Well, it certainly got that metal up to temp. Amazing what a bit of extra forced oxygen will do to a gas burner.

My only concern is the safety of it. (I realise this was just an experimental prototype.) Main thing is you would need to add a blow back prevention valve (or whatever the hell they are called) in the gas line.

I also wonder how long the stainless keg valve would last. Should do for a while, but you would need to keep an eye on it to make sure.

And it sounds like a jet fighter taking off.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

the valve should last forever lol it has near no heat on it and it wont corrode anyway....

as for the blow back a piece of stainless wool will stop blow back just put it in the main line just before the jet....

but there is no air in the line so it has nowhere to burn just make sure you purge the line of air before you fire it up...
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

i've seen lots of burners in my biz but nothing like that setup. love the propane garden hose line :shock: . can you say disaster waiting to happen? be careful or be smart and dump that rig. gman
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

well its not propane its low pressure natural gas.. ever used a Bunsen burner? thats just a rubber hose pushed onto a hose barb, remember this is low pressure... i can stop the flow easily with my finger on the end of the outlet.

i would NEVER try this with high pressure propane thats bad news
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

good to hear it's not propane. i've seen bad things happen when hoses give up and 15+lbs of propane come out full force. gman
absinthe
Rumrunner

Post by absinthe »

i can believe that.. its still a work in progress, i have a new blower made for an old vac motor and a dimmer (with a smaller filter cap on the motor) its a little bit big but I'm running it at 110VAC with a step down transformer and its going good (you could fun it without and just shut the valve down more)

it brought 1/3 of a keg of water to the boil in about 15 Min's (cold cold tap water) but it should be faster i had the keg a little close to the burner i think...

not boiling in the vid as yet but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6iZscWz3iA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

(this burner is really being made for a small gas forge but it will double as a high power burner else where)....

it also seems to run a manifold type burner quite well also (2" stainless pipe with 1/4" holes drilled and the end blocked)

what type of hose do you recommend that i can get cheap, long length and flexible (will be moved from device to device)??
StabbyJoe
Swill Maker

Post by StabbyJoe »

my computer is too crap for me to bother checking out those vids - would take me all day. Top part of a flame is the hottest, so I'd think having it just a tiny bit above the top of the flame, almost touching but not quite would be best.
glassman
Swill Maker

Post by glassman »

for natural gas i believe ss flex is the norm. quick disconnects rated for gas will work or a black union. lots of good sites out there on forge building and burners. just watch out for the face of the burner getting too hot and causing blowback within the burner. they realy can blow up. if you can get hi temp castable refractory thats what we make heads out of. lots of glass blowers in aussy so you may want to make friends :lol: and aussi blower are super good artists. can't wait till i can visit your country. gman