Propane burner for 50L keg?

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bryan1
Swill Maker

Re: Propane burner for 50L keg?

Post by Bryan1 »

Yummyrum wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:44 pm Thanks Bryan
Alas , I , like a few others , are not welcome there and can’t see pics .
Whats the chances of you doing same topic here …. With pics :ebiggrin:
I was thinking about this up in my shed and while looking for a BSP plug I did see a 1/4" Brass nipple which is needed for the input. Now I have now made 2 of them this one will be surplus and if Yummy needs a decent burner he can have it :lol:

But not this weekend as I finally had some time to finish that 12 volt battery I made so it can sit on 10 watts of solar for the next week and it will be interesting to see if I have a voltage.

The yard arm arrived as I am pretty chugged at finally get this project finished and ready for testing.

Cheers Bryan
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Been thinking more on your gas burner problem Yummy. Was in the shed today and getting ready to strip some wash, so while at it took a little clip of how much heat mine will put out.
Note that the flame stays clean right through the whole range, this was using my adjustable regulator 0-15 PSI, and a normal 3 ring banjo burner available from any camping store. Ive never bothered to turn it up this high before as that is more heat than I would ever need for anything that I do......so I sortta learned something to. Started it off low......then progressed to full bore........then back down to super low , just to see.......blue flame all the way.
None of the bottoms of my boilers have any soot at all on them.....I might think to take a photo of the bottom of that keg when I finish stripping.
Need to get to the bottom of this ......it would drive me nuts if mine didn't preform properly.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Yeah that's pretty darn good behavior Bill.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

Backyard casting fellers build their own burners all the time.

(Links removed because i forgot im not supposed to do that. Google reil burner instead.)

They're really really simple.

I used one of these to melt aluminium years ago before i upgraded to electric.

Although the full burner may be too much for our purposes, it shouldnt be too difficult to reverse engineer your unit to replace the evidently wimpy air inlet.

Nozzle diameter is important too. A smaller nozzle at a higher pressure will result in higher gas velocity and more air drawn drawn in to a certain extent. I used cheap 3d printer nozzles from amazon as a gas jet and swapped them out until i found one i liked.

Maybe carb jets or something else useful in your scrap pile?
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

yummy; If you don't get the performance your after with the low pressure regulator,

contact the Mfg of the burner and purchase the correct jets for a high pressure regulator.

Apologies to the OP.
be water my friend
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Damn Salty , thats a clean burn indeed .I see a bit of yellow there when it was fair cranking but its nothing really . I’m surprised you don't run it flat out when stripping .
To be honest , I don’t know what pressure mine goes up to .

Whiskymonger , good post , always learning new stuff … thanks .I am starting to think injector size may well be the problem . Also keen on the forge stuff …. when I get time .

Cob
, thanks , yeah I’m sure jet size may well be the problem . Unfortunately , mine come from Bunnings ( our big box store chain ) and I’m pretty sure I’d be pushing ship up hill asking them about HP injectors . They only sell stuff fir Low pressure .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:25 am I’m surprised you don't run it flat out when stripping .
Under my other boiler half of that kind of heat would be producing around 15L an hour.....the other boiler has a bigger flatter bottom so absorbs more heat.......I have no need to go any faster than that.
Yummyrum wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:25 am yeah I’m sure jet size may well be the problem . Unfortunately , mine come from Bunnings ( our big box store chain ) and I’m pretty sure I’d be pushing ship up hill asking them about HP injectors . They only sell stuff fir Low pressure .
Im not convinced that Jet size is your problem Yummy ........mine are just cheap shit low pressure burners of the type you buy from camping stores or Bunnings......nothing special about them.