Propane or electric?

LP, NG, gas burners of all types. Wood, coal or Steam equipment.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Re: Propane or electric?

Post by goose eye »

they was usein ole fleetstar an you best be perticular where you gone cause wont no power sterrin.
weight man just awaitein. back before epa started goin after powerheads. ole 250/500 mccoulahs an homerlites zips .thought they was somethin getin away from the 2 man cross cut an a man dousyin the saw now an again with karossen. from belgums to cats is one helluva jump.
market gone to hell down here.

so im tole
WhiteLightening
Novice

Post by WhiteLightening »

holly f&*k goose don no how annyone unnerstans yu
Hack
retired

Post by Hack »

WhiteLightening wrote:holly f&*k goose don no how annyone unnerstans yu
You're still new here. Give it time and it'll come to you. Don't let the spelling throw you. Goose packs alot of good information into a few words.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

Hack wrote:Don't let the spelling throw you. Goose packs alot of good information into a few words.
Yup, make the effort to learn Goose-speak, and you will be well rewarded.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

I think what goos eye is sayin is we better watch out. Electricity or propane don't exist for many folk today. It's fun while it's there but don't count on it... the old way of doing things may be upon us. How's your wood pile? Water tank? Are you friends with your neighbour?
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Ayay wrote:Are you friends with your neighbour?
I was till Ms. Ugly caught me.

Factually I relate to Goose's posts simply because I've been pulled over for being overweight, I've driven a team of horses in the bush and I'm not adverse to getting covered in cow shit shit if that what it takes to get the job done. It's just that my parents got sick of me changing everything around on the farm all the time and shipped me off to university to get me out of their hair; at which point I learned enough science and engineering to become truly dangerous. I haven't turned any of the buildings into smoking heaps of rubble yet, but give it time.

Goose talks about things I get loud and clear, there's a scrapped fleetstar out in the scrap pile that my Dad drove when he was a kid and sitting in the barn is a rebuilt Dodge 5 ton with the original six cyclinder hemi that I put back together two decades ago. I changed the rack to power steering though, I'm a sissy. The chainsaws Goose mentions, while vintage, still show up in farm sales. One look at them and I understand why my Dad is ~50 per cent bigger than I am (close on to 300lbs). He'd need to be to lug those things around the bush.

No one who doesn't live that life would even know about such things. Goose knows his shit and it pays to work through his posts and pick out the factoids.
grunger
Novice

Post by grunger »

Ugly wrote:The per BTU cost of propane beats the per BTU cost of electricity anywhere in north america for heating applications of any kind.
Not in northern Manitoba is doesn't. A few years ago there was a push to get people to switch to gas heating and those that made the switch from electric heat have almost all changed back. Hydro is cheaper by far. My brother heats his house, and has all electric appliances and his electricity bill is still lower than mine in Alberta and all I do is run lights and a few fans.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

You guys have to ditch the NDP Grunger ... j/k

OK, I'll qualify the statement, anywhere with government controls is exempt from the statement, but free markets enjoy a lower per BTU cost with propane.
grunger
Novice

Post by grunger »

Don't find no NDP up there. They got their votes from the city folks.
one more then we'll all go...
TopDog
Novice

Post by TopDog »

Ugly - Back to that 10KW element. Even if I got two 5KW elements with on/off breakers I would'nt have as much control as I want. What kind of heavt duty Rheostat or voltage controler could I get with a big dial so I can go from zero to 100% operation. Maybe I could use the switch from an old stove at least I'd have Low/Med/Hi
Mud
Swill Maker

Post by Mud »

There are several threads in the Related Hardware forum about controllers. Complete diagrams, etc. Everything you need to know is in there.
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

Ugly wrote:
Ayay wrote:Are you friends with your neighbour?
I was till Ms. Ugly caught me.
It took a while but :lol: :lol:... If only we could choose the neighbour instead of the house!
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
Mitch
Novice

Post by Mitch »

punkin wrote:
Mitch wrote:I would still appreciate an answer other than "depends" - that's really as much of a question as the initial question.
For you personally, which would be cheaper? It'll take a while to figure it out at my own. If I could figure it out easily and quickly I would, I wouldn't have posted here.

Obliged ~

Dunno who this is aimed at, but i thought i clearly answered your question. :roll:

And I applaud your effort. Unfortunately, I can't get gas free or electricity half-off. Still, a million thanks.