condenser size

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

condenser size

Post by Fiddleford »

hello all i just got to put together my first 5 gallon still, its a keg still its 2 feet tall and has a diameter of 8 inches I've also got a column on it about 5 feet tall and a diameter of about inch and a half.. now the thing I'm looking at in my condenser its maybe 19 feet or more? but its a 3mm diameter which is tiny but I'm not gunna be running the thing more then the thickness of a pencil led. its a worm in a 5 gallon bucket, for the first few runs I'll be using just fire and clay till i can get my gas set up and I'm not to keen on drilling a hole in the side of this keg just yet to use electric. I'm really posting here to ask the better experienced if I can get away whit the condenser I got till I can get my hands on a pump or some thicker pipe, if its a yes but I'll have a hard time I'm stubborn enough to deal with a hard time on sick of my tiny 1.25 gallon still its bugs the hell out of me having to run 20 gallons through the thing its takes 3 days and the electricity it uses is ridiculous. i will appreciate any insight and tips or anything on this thing if you want pics of the rig just ask

8)
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: condenser size

Post by Yummyrum »

Don’ use that small size tube for your condenser . It is highly likely to gt blocked and then your still will become pressuruzed and explode .

For this reason we recommend a mimimum size of 1/2” . Some guys have got away with 3/8”but only on sugar washes .

Do not use it !
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

I sort of figured so, i may be able to gather some material and get some half inch pipe I was hopeing i could get away with it since my only window of opportunity to use this still is this weekend I mean I got a liebeg made just for the thing but no god damn pump.. well I appreciate the help
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Fiddleford wrote:I sort of figured so, i may be able to gather some material and get some half inch pipe I was hopeing i could get away with it since my only window of opportunity to use this still is this weekend I mean I got a liebeg made just for the thing but no god damn pump.. well I appreciate the help
You can run the liebig on tap water, direct the water onto the tomato patch. I am still doing that but will have alternatives soon.

Geoff
The Baker
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

the manufacturers made it a round bottom keg and I have no propane tank I'm a little stuck in options right now, and i gotta re-solder my liebag my grandfather would say right now I'm fubar until further notice
Attachments
use this.jpg
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2