Dimroth - Will this Work?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Dimroth - Will this Work?

Post by Andrew_90 »

I am looking at an alternative to a shotgun. I happen to have spare single helix coil that snugly fits the inside of a 2" pipe.

The picture shows no central pipe so it totally open currently. I can insert a 22mm central pipe, sealed at both ends, to force the vapour directly over the cooling coils. Or I can have cooling water flowing through the 22mm central pipe. The RC is 6.25mm copper tubing and 250mm long.

The question is would this function in the vertical plane and if so would the efficiency be as good or perhaps even better than the 50mm shotgun with three 15mm inner tubes?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Dimroth - Will this Work?

Post by Demy »

I imagine that the capacitor must be vertical if the steam enters the spiral coil. I have never used anything like this but I recently built a small shotgun (diameter 1.5 ") and it works great. There is a post on the forum entitled" Shotgun Proportion ", this to say that sometimes many rifles From hunting that I see on the forum are exaggeratedly long and wide. But since you already have the copper spiral you can try, believe, however, that you will have more "smudging" than the shotgun
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

i would do the central 22mm tube with water. my only concern is the lenght of 250mm. yes i know reflux coils are not long and they do knock all vapours down. the problem is in the column the hot ethanol is contained. if your pc does not cool your product down enough it still could be above flashpoint.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:26 am ..... would the efficiency be as good or perhaps even better than the 50mm shotgun with three 15mm inner tubes?
I believe it comes down to surface area. Calculate the cooling surface area for each and whichever one has the most should produce the best condensing capacity.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

What is your maximum power input?

What is your water flow rate through the coil?

Is your water supply consistent and cold, or a reservoir/pump system?

I run a similar dimroth. (See my pot-n-thumper post in my signature for info on my dimroth). My coil will pass 3.5 lpm or 1 gallon per minute max. It will knock down 3000w easily with cool output, and up to 5500w with warm to hot output. (The coil knocks it all down, but the outer shell will get hot and that reheats the product on the way out.).

You may not have the problem I do with warm output at high power because your coil is “snug”. If it touches the shell, that will cool it and reduce your warm product output.

Adding a center pipe?
Probably depends on your power and flow rate. I would not add a closed center pipe under any condition. That would just reduce your vapor dwell time. I’m not even sure if a large center return pipe would be of help. That will increase your cooling surface area but reduce your dwell time. I’m not sure how much help that may be.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Iulistoi
Bootlegger

Post by Iulistoi »

I have something similar for my PC and it works very well inclined. I put scrubbers tightly packed inside the coils and seems this enhances the cooling efficiency. The coil is made of copper pipe. 6 m long, 6mm wide pipe single coil condenser but I think it would work better with double coil. It knocks out up to 4 l/h. The temperature of the spirit at 2.5 l/h is 23-24°C and the tap water is about 15°C.