Reflux Coil upper most position.

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Reflux Coil upper most position.

Post by Andrew_90 »

Hi,

I am busy mechanising my reflux coil and need to determine the maximum travel.

Will the bottom of the reflux coil, in operation, ever need to lift above the top of the output of the T piece as shown in the sketch.

One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Reflux Coil upper most position.

Post by Demy »

I advise you to leave greater distance between exit and the end of the coil, in my CCVM if positioned as in your image the water has influence on the release of the product (which you can exploit your advantage but better to get up more)
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Demy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 am I advise you to leave greater distance between exit and the end of the coil, in my CCVM if positioned as in your image the water has influence on the release of the product (which you can exploit your advantage but better to get up more)
Another mm Demy? It a 2" still another 25/30mm?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

My coil's bottom never reach the top of the offtake T. Plump a solid copper pipe the lenght of your coil on the inlet or outlet and outside your coil shell so that you have a visual on your coil's bottom. Run it a time or 2 to see how your still operates before you machanise. Remember there are many parameters that may influence how your still operates. My coil fills the complete shell above offtake T. I simply push my hard copper inlet up and wedge a teespoon or knive in the 2nd or 3rd coil to keep it from dropping.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:57 am
Demy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:50 am I advise you to leave greater distance between exit and the end of the coil, in my CCVM if positioned as in your image the water has influence on the release of the product (which you can exploit your advantage but better to get up more)
Another mm Demy? It a 2" still another 25/30mm?
I advise to evaluate 50mm (about 2 "), usually if it raises the coil and comes out to the shear a few loops does not happen anything, the part that cools (block) the steam is above all the initial part of the coil. Always convenient (if possible) Working with an abundant margin, you can always lower how much you want.
Sporacle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sporacle »

Mine is 170mm long (just the reflux section) I have a long inlet and outlet tail that allows me to lower the condensor way past where I need it, plus I've have a high roof to work with :D
" you can pick your nose and you can pick your friends; but you can't always wipe your friends off on your saddle" sage advice from Kinky Friedman