the C.H.I.L.L.E.R

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

woodshed
Master of Distillation

Re: the C.H.I.L.L.E.R

Post by woodshed »

Nice work MF. It's a beauty. Have you thought about scratching the top bowls up to create more surface area? Maybe in the direction of flow? Won't be so shiny anymore but I'm thinking it would increase cooling. Or scrubbies on the outside of top bowls and small holes in catch bowls to rain on scrubbies?
Big fan of the design. Will soon start work on one 10' tall. Your work here has been inspirational.
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Good job mate, looks like you've got a great result! :thumbup: . Could you cover the bowl surfaces with a cloth of some sort to get maximum surface/cooling area?.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
lampshade
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by lampshade »

Come on guys, instead of making suggestions for improving Max's design, experiment with your own. I want to see your designs for coolers. Me... I want to play with rain gutters and waterfalls... and the gurgling sound they make.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow * Between the crosses, row on row, * We are the Dead. Short days ago * We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, * Loved and were loved, and now we lie * In Flanders fields. -- from a WWI poem
Digital_Plasma
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Digital_Plasma »

lampshade wrote:Come on guys, instead of making suggestions for improving Max's design, experiment with your own. I want to see your designs for coolers. Me... I want to play with rain gutters and waterfalls... and the gurgling sound they make.
There should ALWAYS be room for improvements! Otherwise this hobby gets stuck in a boring track... :)
I've got some plans of my own on a cooling system. Just need the time and some parts.
I wish I had a creek or a waterfall.
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

Post by Maxximus Flavius »

woodshed wrote:Nice work MF. It's a beauty. Have you thought about scratching the top bowls up to create more surface area? Maybe in the direction of flow? Won't be so shiny anymore but I'm thinking it would increase cooling. Or scrubbies on the outside of top bowls and small holes in catch bowls to rain on scrubbies?
Big fan of the design. Will soon start work on one 10' tall. Your work here has been inspirational.
I think rather than play with the surface area, I'll improve air flow. the fan is rather anemic.It draws a mere 85 watts.I'd like to stick a bigger motor into that housing, because I like the housing. Unfortunately, it'll make it noisier. Right now it's far quieter than the trickling/soothing sounds.

10' tall, huh? That will be beautiful. Will you scale the bowl diameter up to keep the aesthetics? I gather you run a licensed establishment? I took a brief google look, but couldn't find anything.

I'd love to see photo's. If you have any questions....

Maxx
http://bit.ly/Maxxs_Bok
shining since 2013
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

Digital_Plasma wrote: There should ALWAYS be room for improvements! Otherwise this hobby gets stuck in a boring track... :)
I've got some plans of my own on a cooling system.
:thumbup: and +1

emphasis mine
shining since 2013
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Maxximus Flavius wrote:
woodshed wrote:Nice work MF. It's a beauty. Have you thought about scratching the top bowls up to create more surface area? Maybe in the direction of flow? Won't be so shiny anymore but I'm thinking it would increase cooling. Or scrubbies on the outside of top bowls and small holes in catch bowls to rain on scrubbies?
I think rather than play with the surface area, I'll improve air flow. the fan is rather anemic.It draws a mere 85 watts.I'd like to stick a bigger motor into that housing, because I like the housing. Unfortunately, it'll make it noisier. Right now it's far quieter than the trickling/soothing sounds.

10' tall, huh? That will be beautiful. Will you scale the bowl diameter up to keep the aesthetics? I gather you run a licensed establishment? I took a brief google look, but couldn't find anything.

I'd love to see photo's. If you have any questions....

Maxx

Yes I am opening a distillery. Working on website right now. Bowl size will probably go up.
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

Finishing touches on the CHILLER. When I ran the 10 hour stint on Saturday, I bodged together a probe thermometer and a tuna can to catch the CHILLER discharge. And I had dropped an indoor/outdoor thermometer into the storage tank after coating it in melted paraffin. All very temporary. Two more Walliemart meat sensors and a SS pickle tray from... you guessed it, the dollar store.

I drilled an undersized hole in the plastic garbage can to stick the other probe in at the bottom and rebuilt my control panel.

I just gotta know what's going on :D
shining since 2013
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

I had some leftover partially run wash that I wanted to extract the last little bit for my feints jar. So I fired up the contraption again and with cooler air temperatures, the CHILLER did it's job. Of course the differential will always be dependent on the ambient air temperature. Thankfully or maybe not I live in an Arctic country. Insert upper left is the discharge water from the condenser. The display beside it is the CHILLER discharge. I know there is so many ways to the path of happiness, mine happens to be doing this kind of stuff :D
shining since 2013
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Maxximus Flavius I am considering building a tower as such, I was wondering how well an efficient it served since you started using this or any one else who basically uses this new setup.
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

Sorry, responding to a very old post. Haven't logged in for years.

I'm still using the chiller setup. Efficiency wise, It drops the temperature about 10-15 C. It's getting a little corroded though. Low quality SS.

Maxx
shining since 2013
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Thats awesome its still kickin after 7 years bro
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Post by RC Al »

Very nice Dude, had a look at your boka build too, pretty much top of the line for back then (and even now) :clap:

I have a quick and easy idea to rough up your bowls - some hydrochloric acid will clean and then etch stainless pretty quickly, if you know anyone with a pool they will have plenty of it, otherwise its usually available in small qty's in most supermarkets (might be a little different in canada though eh?). it will need a bit of respect/saftey precautions when using and neutralising afterwards, but it would be a very easy way to kill 2 birds if the bowls are looking kinda crappy atm
Maxximus Flavius
Swill Maker

I have foolishly used muriatic acid to clean rust stains off my asphalt driveway. Too much steel grinding with my angle grinder. The rust bubbled up into a foamy slime that rinsed off with water. I was using in undiluted. I didn't realize the the acid fumes were blowing back into my garage/workshop and anything that wasn't painted or well oiled must've got a good etching and rusted. I have a number of aircraft building tools that aged faster in one day than they had in 20 years.

Lesson learned.
shining since 2013