Cooling water question

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ozark Shiner
Novice

Cooling water question

Post by Ozark Shiner »

I'm about to get my still together and have a simple question about cooling water flow.

Has anyone measured the output quantity of their cooling water?

I am getting about 400 ml per minute and I don't think that is anywhere near enough.

My still:

15 gal ss keg
1125 watt heater
2" copper column 48" long
offset condensor design
1/4" copper tube ( about 20' long) single coil condensor

my pump is capable of delivering over 15 liter per minute (240 gal per hour).

I guess the simple solution is to just increase the diamter of my condensor coil.

Thanks in advance for any help.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I don't think it would be enough either, a more simpler solution than increasing the diameter of the coil is lower the heat input. I'd suggest somewhere about 750watts would be sufficient, it is easily controlled with one of Pint's controllers.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

I have a offset reflux like yours with about the same amount of 1/4 inch coil,and I dont use my pump with it.I use the house water because it gets a better flow rate.I run a scrubber in the coil to help cooling.If its condencing good dont worry about it but if its not,you will need more water pressure.
Ozark Shiner
Novice

Post by Ozark Shiner »

Thanks Coops.

I don't actually have the still up and running yet. I was just doing a time trial of water flow through my condensor.

I have a 1500 watt rheostat to control the power and will "dial the input down".
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

I am running a 2" mini still and to maintain high column reflux levels you have to dial down the water flow until the outlet temp is very warm to the touch. At this stage my outlet volume is around 250mls/min when the starting tank temp is 20C. A bit faster as the storage tank warms up.
From what I understand of the off-set design, the only difference is the placement of the condenser. The distillate overflow is still directed back down onto the column packing.
I would say to give it a run with what you have first. You may not need to change.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler