Worm size and output

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

muscashine
Swill Maker

Worm size and output

Post by muscashine »

I'm doing a keg still build. Im using a 1/2" worm as a condenser, in an 8 gallon bucket. I've rolled the worm from 20 feet of 1/2 copper (which came out really nice) but I'm wondering about the output end. With a 15gal keg running into a 2" short column (just to raise the vapor up, not for reflux), and 1/2" output and worm, do I need to keep going with 1/2" all the way out the side of the bucket? 3/8 inch outside diameter is a lot easier to bend (I need a little bend in the tube so it goes straight across and hits the side flat on, right now it wants to take an angled exit). By then the vapor has condensed to liquid any way, right? Can I put an elbow and reducer on the bottom of the coil, and make a smaller hole in the bottom edge of the bucket?
My concern was building up back pressure. What's the proper size worm for a keg build? I think I may have over did it with 1/2"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Worm size and output

Post by S-Cackalacky »

1/2" is what we consider the minimum here for safety reasons. Why not use an elbow and go out of the bucket with a piece of 1/2"?
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

S-Cackalacky wrote:1/2" is what we consider the minimum here for safety reasons. Why not use an elbow and go out of the bucket with a piece of 1/2"?
I was hoping not to have to make such a big hole in the bucket, plus it needs a bend of about 10-15 degrees to the side, which is way easier to make work right with the smaller tubing. Hard to describe without a picture.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If you use a 90 the end of the worm can go straight out of the flake stand.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Yeah that's my problem, it's not flat on, even with the elbow, because I couldn't bend the last 4" or so of the coil any more by hand. I'll just have to take the coil out and try to get it to work again.

Do you guys with worms just glop a lot of silicone on the hole in the flake stand, or do they make some sort of bulkhead connector that helps keep it waterproof?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Can be found in the electrical section of lowes or home depot.
Can be found in the electrical section of lowes or home depot.
watertight.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 10473 times
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Awesome!!! Beats globs of silicone
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

muscashine wrote:Yeah that's my problem, it's not flat on, even with the elbow, because I couldn't bend the last 4" or so of the coil any more by hand. I'll just have to take the coil out and try to get it to work again.

Do you guys with worms just glop a lot of silicone on the hole in the flake stand, or do they make some sort of bulkhead connector that helps keep it waterproof?
Couldn't you just cut off that 4" so that the end of the coil is perpendicular to the wall of the bucket, put on a 90, and then straight through the wall of the bucket with a piece of pipe (maybe the piece you cut off)?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

BTW - I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but worms can be a little finicky. You need to make sure that the coil takes a downward angle along its entire length from top to bottom. If it has any flat or upward angles anywhere along the route, it will pool liquid and cause back pressure in the vapor path. This will cause the output to spit and huff and smear the cuts. One way to mitigate this is to attach vertical supports to the worm from top to bottom - securing each turn of the coil to the support. This can be lengths of copper pipe soldered or wired to the coil. It's just there to stabilize the coil and prevent the before mentioned pooling problem.

That said, do a search on "liebig condenser".
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

I looked at the Liebig... I didn't want to use it. The worm was cheaper, and less complex. No pumps, no extra plumbing.

I made four "legs" out of wood about 3/4" by 1 1/2" by 14" long. I split them lengthwise and then clamped them together on the smooth sides. I started at 1.5" from the bottom of the first slat, and each turn of the coil goes up 1.5" as it gets back around. I drilled holes based on this pattern, and wound up with an 8 turn coil. I drilled the wood forms with a 5/8" bit, so I had each half with a semicircle. Using screws, i clamped the slats around the worm. They hold the coil in place and make sure it's a steady drop from top to bottom. No uphills or sags.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

S-Cackalacky wrote: Couldn't you just cut off that 4" so that the end of the coil is perpendicular to the wall of the bucket, put on a 90, and then straight through the wall of the bucket with a piece of pipe (maybe the piece you cut off)?
That's what I'm going to wind up doing...
goldfishcf
Novice

Post by goldfishcf »

You said you didn't want a liebig because of pumps and complexity. I've wasted a lot of money on trying to make worms (I wanted more of an authentic condenser) the Liebig is may more simpler.
If I'm not mistaken, you'll still need a pump and a reservoir. Your bucket will heat up wayyy to quickly. Maybe one of the more experienced guys can confirm.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

You won't need a pump with a worm but it is WAY more difficult to deal with than a liebig. Winding everything just right, securing the braces, making sure the barrel does not leak, making it level each time, getting it set up the exact distance from your still so your line connecting them goes on and the unions line up and don't leak each time, running the fill and drain hoses, big and cumbersome to store and to anyone who sees it it just screams "hey, I'm making moonshine!".

A liebig requires soldering two fittings to two lengths of pipe, soldering two more scrap stub outs, connecting two water lines and a $30 pond pump. They run at almost any angle, store on a shelf or anywhere when done and no one who doesn't distill knows what it is. Like Bellybuster pointed out in a post a while back, you don't need all the whirlygigs that everyone talks about to make a liebig work. They usually just do. The insurance of a piece of wire in the jacket or a little piece of scrubbie to help with huffing (because it is too efficient) is not much trouble though.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Now you tell me! If the bucket thing doesn't work I'll go back and look at a liebig. The worm IS rather big and obvious, sitting in its 8 gallon bucket. The column I have planned is pretty versatile. There are three unions set on angles so everything's adjustable. I don't have to get it exactly the same height or position every time. Is there a certain model pond pump you guys use? I looked online and at a pet store. The pet store had an adjustable aquarium pump, but it was about $60, which is just a bit more than I paid for my 20 foot 1/2 worm.

Well, I finished the worm today with the exception of the output from the bucket. Fixed the braces and the elbow so it goes straight across. Im happier with the 1/2" all the way through but the 3/8 output would have been easier. I just have to find that watertight bulkhead connector. They didn't know what I was talking about in Lowes when I asked, but I found it online, so I know they have it.
Drunk-N-Smurf
Rumrunner

Post by Drunk-N-Smurf »

When I run into that problem I just bring the product up on their website from my phone and show it to them, then they can usually find it.
Hangover? I don't get no stinking hangover!
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Drunk-N-Smurf wrote:When I run into that problem I just bring the product up on their website from my phone and show it to them, then they can usually find it.
You're right on there! I am in Depot a lot for work. Their app let's me see the isle and area that the item is in so I can by pass the helpful "know nothing about construction" people working in the construction supply store.
Using Google Search

Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

For a pump, many refer to Harbor Freight. I got mine at Lowes where they have supplies for fish ponds and stuff. It was like $30. When you go, just concern yourself with the head lift rating. The rest will be plenty enough for what you need but it needs to get the water to the highest point of your system. It won't be a very big pump. I say a pond pump because like an aquarium pump they are magnetic drive and don't burn up when you restrict the flow.
Using Google Search

muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Hound Dog wrote:
Drunk-N-Smurf wrote:When I run into that problem I just bring the product up on their website from my phone and show it to them, then they can usually find it.
You're right on there! I am in Depot a lot for work. Their app let's me see the isle and area that the item is in so I can by pass the helpful "know nothing about construction" people working in the construction supply store.
Yeah - I've noticed the same thing in Lowes. Most don't know squat. Like Radio Shack and their new logo: "You've got questions, We've got blank stares!" Try asking where the optoisolators or the SWR meters are.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

This is the pond pump I have from ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/370-GPH-Submers ... 3cc6c7737a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . I bought that one because of its 6.6 feet head lift.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Hey guys thanks for all the answers. Its been a long time coming but I'm finally starting to finish my build. Although I made a great looking worm the more I think about it, I'm going to be switching over to a liebig. The worm is just way too obvious as to what it is, and too big (it sits in an 8 gallon bucket). I had problems with my smaller worm in its 5 gallon bucket. The bucket was always cracking because I stored it in the attic, and the summer heat would get to it, I guess. The silicone where the worm exited the bucket would dry and come loose, too. At least I could hide a liebig condenser...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

muscashine wrote:Hey guys thanks for all the answers. The worm is just way too obvious as to what it is, and too big.
Add a couple variable capacitors, a few alligator clips and some coax and claim it's a antenna tuner :lol:
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

You could also claim that the thumper is a 2M duplexer :egeek:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

My favorite is steam punk fountain project, after all if you think about it a still is just a steam powered fountain :lol: My liebig pretty much just blends in with the rest of the random copper I have but the other condensers don't exactly blend in but I doubt anybody would actually guess what they are for. I personally don't like flake stands for many reasons and always recommend liebigs.
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

20 feet of 1/2" with a reduction to 3/8" in the last bit should be just fine.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Thanks bagasso - I'm working on a liebig now though, hahaha.

Now I need to figure out what to do with 20 feet of worm. I hate to just throw it out, it was expensive and I'm really proud of how even it came out. But It's hard to explain why I have a flake stand in the house...
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

Wort chiller.
robb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by robb »

+1 Bagasso
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I took a 20" long piece of 1.5" pipe and stuck three half inch tubes inside it to make a nice little shotgun.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

cranky wrote:I took a 20" long piece of 1.5" pipe and stuck three half inch tubes inside it to make a nice little shotgun.
I seriously thought about making a shotgun but I'm not sure I have the requisite skills to make the part where the single output from the still splits off into the shotgun section. I guess I would have to drill three holes in a plate and solder the pipes, then put the whole assembly down in another pipe, solder it in, and then solder on a reducer. I just worry something inside would come loose while I put the reducer on. I understand the concept and construction of the shotgun but actual assembly is something a little beyond me. I do well just to solder the simple pipe joints without burning myself or the house down.
muscashine
Swill Maker

Post by muscashine »

Bagasso wrote:Wort chiller.
That is actually a great idea. I could easily modify the worm into a wort chiller with a couple of pipe connections