I just met my match

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ricky
Swill Maker

I just met my match

Post by Ricky »

I have made quite a few coils in my life. 1/4,3/8,and1/2. all have been for reflux or hybrid stills. i just got my a*@ wipped by 34ft of 3/4 refridgerant line. :oops: i was trying to make a worm to go in a bass keg i found. it is a little larger in dia compared to my bud keg. i was looking for a worm about 11in in dia but settled just to get it in the keg. :( the entire top has been removed but i still like to not got it in. i kinked the sh#^ out of it but luckely never collapsed it over half way. :cry: this stuff must be more ridged than regular tubing. someone let me know so maybe i will feel better.
Day Late;Dollar Short
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

its not hard to roll out a worm from tubing that size just time consuming.Start with smallest full coil in roll and grab with 1 hand .Then hand sliding down keeping 1 hand gripped on it at all times. you can make whole roll that size then start over to get smaller and so on.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Cruiser
Bootlegger

Post by Cruiser »

Sounds like it needs annealing.

Copper is supplied either hard or soft. Either way, it work hardens whenever you bend it. Anneal it by heating to red hot with a propane torch or such. You need to do it for the full length of that coil. It makes a big difference.

Cruiser.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i started out stretching it out flat on the floor and rolling it around the keg. i then done as you said tater . i guess i didnt use enough patience. :oops: i thought i knew what i was doing. :roll:
Day Late;Dollar Short
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

If it came in straight lengths then it is the rigid stuff. If it came in a roll then it was already annealed, and you might have work hardened it by stretching it out flat at the start. Doesn't take much working to re-harden it.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Isn't the distinction A. hard drawn & B. soft drawn?
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

CoopsOz wrote:Isn't the distinction A. hard drawn & B. soft drawn?
Exactly 8) but with all of the countries represented on this forum, sometimes terminology differs. Maybe others call it different. I also often find myself explaining things rather than using a local term.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

Annealed or hard drawn it cant hurt to heat it to red hot to make sure. Propane /air is safer than oxy/acet as you dont want to melt it.
Tater
Admin

Re: I just met my match

Post by Tater »

Ricky wrote: 34ft of 3/4 refridgerant line. :.
I took this to mean it was coiled soft copper. Anything over 20 ft in refrigeration lines that Ive ever used was coiled.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I gave up bending copper tubing years ago, a liebic works great. A simple alternative is Two parallel copper tubes soldered together the whole length, one for the distillate and the other for the cooling water. Since the solder never touches the distillate you don't have to worry.. Plus it doesnt look like a condenser...
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

How funny Shady, I'm just the opposite.

I don't like to be forced to use runnin' water when I distill, so that's my first reason not to use a Leibig.

My second reason is I can't imagine goin' to all the work to build and solder a Leibig when bendin' copper is so easy.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i hoped i had earned enough respect to not be accused of trying to bend pipe! :roll: i will have to try harder. :) yes it was tubing. i have a liebig that is hooked to a pump in a 55gal drum and on a hard stripping run in my 15gal potstill it can warm the hole barrel.liebig is 3/4 over 1/2 x 40in. maybe i am pumping to much water through it. the distilate never gets hot but i want it cool from start to finish. i also feel like holy about the running water. even though i recirculate. i also thought a worm would fit up better with my copper still that i am going to build using pints plans. trying to go a more traditional way and hopefully a better product from an all copper still.
Day Late;Dollar Short