Re: Brutal's inner tube condenser

Post by gflower1 »

Looks like supply.com has them for 9.80... Just for future reference
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Thank for the tips brutal. I know all too well the "vibration" you speak of when using carbide burr bits. :wink: I worked in a welding shop for 14 years we used them a lot! :lol:
The 1 1/4 i have is 18 in long so i have the 1 inch at 24 in. That's the only reason i am making it as long as it is. I did not want to cut off of the 11/4. I too have a 5500 watt electric setup. Glad to know it should handle thing no problem.
I like how you shortened some of the fittings. I will be pretty much copying what you did with a few of my own touches. I will for sure get some pictures up here as time allows. As far as the cost goes, i figure i won't have to build another one so might as well do it right the first time. I have taken many's advice here about making things modular for ease of cleaning, storage and trying new things. Wish i would have done that on my first still. :crazy:
ez
Don't let your meat loaf.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

IMG_4736.JPG
I figure this is close to as small a footprint a 2 keg thumper setup can be. Lyne arm is 20 in long. Risers come off kegs about 16 in if i remember correctly. Unions all the same so everything is modular. Still gotta insulate the thump.
IMG_4737.JPG
here is my version of brutal's condenser. I call it the trombone condenser. Only diff is i used a union on the 1/2 in water line that can be removed for cleaning or inspection and mine is about 4 inches longer than brutal's. Just did not want to cut the 1 1/4 pipe i had lol. Thanks for all the help. got a couple cleaning runs to make then a way we go!!
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Looking great ezlle71!! I like it! Looks like you trimmed all the fittings too. I like the Union idea. Holds it solid. I have had a leaking issue with the cheap unions I can get around here so I have trouble trusting them. I do understand that they have worked fine for many here though.

Like the double keg set up too. When you insulate you might as well do both legs and do the copper too. Lots of heat comes out through the copper.

Oh one more thing. On your output water be sure to use a temp resistant hose. You need very little water for this design to work. So it's gonna come out HOT.

Thanks for posting up!
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Thank you for the great design Brutal!! At the plumbing supply house i buy my fittings at i made sure they had good quality unions. 10-4 on the temp resistant hose. Probably be runnin' some vinegar and water thru it middle of this week. the low water usage thru it has me excited!! finally got the camera and figured out how to post pics. Alot easier than i thought.
ez
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

That trombone oughta play ya some nice spirits. Good work, both of you. I'm impressed.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Since posting my pics i did and another feature. I put a solder connection gate valve on the cooling water supply line. it is inline right where the vapor tube comes to the body of the condenser. I wanted a way to finely control the flow of cooling water right there on the condenser for ease of control. It works really well. i will get a pic up soon
ez
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I finally got my sac alcohol run made on my new setup with this condenser. Works very well! The alcohol wanted to run down the center tube and the bottom of the 1 inch tube. So mid run I stuffed a small tuft of copper scrubber In the end and it ran down the bottom just as pretty as you please. Nice smooth stream. All in all very happy with this design. Thanks brutal!!
Ez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I like the idea of insulating the lyne arm, I bet that would really increase thump efficiency.

That's some really nice work, man.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I insulated both the boiler and the thump keg. I was gonna insulate the copper As per recommended by some here but I could not bring myself to cover up that pretty copper :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Awesome news man! Glad it worked so well for you.

I have entered the third level of "buying a house and moving" hell currently. I ain't made nuthun' and don't figure I will for a while now. If any more of y'all make one of these post it up! I can only live vicariously through you!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I've read a great deal about temperature gradient being important on a condenser. Does this design effect that at all? Just curious because this looks super fun to build! :lol:
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

This design keeps the gradient intact perfectly. The outer jacket is flowing toward the boiler and the inner water pipe does as well. The inner contains the hottest water which I believe is the key to efficiency here. As the vapor condenses it runs down the cooler outer wall so it comes out as cool as possible. I believe it will work the best at shallow angles.

Thank you for the kind words.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I am gonna play with the angles of which to run the condenser. I agree with you brutal I think shallow angle might work better with this design. On my next few runs I am gonna see what I come up with.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unwanted advertisment
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Hey all, thought i'd give a update since I'm going into my 4th year running this condenser. Its been awesome! I run on electric 220V 5500w element and this thing knocks down everything and then some. I have ran it on a pump recirculating and tap water. Recirculating i use the big sink i have next to where i run, it holds 45 gallon. it warms up too much for my liking. I was thinking of using my wort chiller for a radiator inline. Last night on a spirit run i really wanted to see what kinda efficiency i could get outta this thing. For a 3.5 hour run i used approx 60 gallon tap water. I was very impressed. Distillate temp never over 75°F. I have played with angles in the past to see what was best with it but have found out is it doesn't affect its function. Usually adjust the angle to my parrot or what receptacle i'm using during stripping runs. I've recently got the itch to build a Flute since i was gifted some 3" copper pipe. I was gonna build a 2" shotgun but now i don't know. As well as this condenser works i don't see the need.
citified
Novice

Post by citified »

This is outstanding!
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Another update, built a 3" perforated plate flute and i am using my trombone condenser on it almost vertical and it works great! more than satisfied.
stillfrt.jpeg
stillside.jpeg
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Been looking for a bit on a condenser that could be closer to horizontal and not 36" long, glad I found this thread. Have a 2D Autocad plan to move forward, Other than the 1.5x1x0.5 reducers, it's quite the inexpensive condenser.

"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
NorthWoodsAb
Swill Maker

Post by NorthWoodsAb »

I really like this design. Have been looking at options to upgrade my liebig, was going to build a shotgun, but came across this, bought most of what I need to build it last night at Home Depot, need to find the 1 1/4" pieces to put it together.
Thanks for posting this.
Cheers
jake_jimmylegs
Novice

Post by jake_jimmylegs »

I was half expecting to see a bicycle tire inner-tube wire-tied to a vapor tube...
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Needs soldered, but got the dry-fit to work out well.

15" Jacket, 24" Vapor Pipe
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
fzbwfk9r
Bootlegger
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle of God's country. Saskatchewan!

Post by fzbwfk9r »

Thanks Brutal and BlueSasquatch!

I have completed my 3Wall/Inner/Trombone PC

1” main condenser tube

I rotated my 1/2” so it can lay on the 1” 90* feed tube so no torque on the water inlet and have my feed hoses connect next to each other