Um....desalting a new coil.....

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

riff42
Swill Maker

Um....desalting a new coil.....

Post by riff42 »

So after ages of fear of winding my own coil....I finally did. I used salt.
Even double wound it!!!

So....how the bugger do I get salt out. I tapped and rotated it the best I could, and then plugged one end to my sink (with a barb fitting).....and after a few hours.....it ain't moving.

What will dissolve salt better than water? Can I leave it in water, so the water will penetrate the salt, without the issue of bubbles in confined tubes? (ie: air pressure of the air in a tube will not let water flow in the tube, so no water gets to the inner part of the tube)
---
I want my last words to be:
"Hey, this is kind of fun!!"
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

I'd throw it in a pan and simmer on the stove for a bit. You should get enough water in there to disolve the salt that way. If that doesn't work, means you have a kink in the line somewhere.
That's one of the reasons I made two seperate coils then used a pair of manifolds on the outside of my condensor.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

If theres no kink just leave on water tap with pressure on and give it some time.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

You can see what I did here:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&start=21

Perhaps the higher water pressure from the hose will help. Good luck.

Cheers,
J
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

i hooked mine up to the sink with the actual lines ill be using to run it. after like 10 min it started to drip and about an hour later it burst through full bore.

just let it sit.
riff42
Swill Maker

Post by riff42 »

ok, i'll try again. I leakproofed the connections right now, so I hope that helps...... else it's a bit big to soak, unless I do it in the tub.
---
riff42
Swill Maker

Re: Um....desalting a new coil.....

Post by riff42 »

After a few MORE hours at more or less leak proof faucet connection, in a bucket of hot water....nuttin.
Might try pressurizing a pressurebucket to 150psi, and pulling a vacuum on the other end. Might use warm ethanol, or acetone to see if the salt dissolves faster.
kinnda pissing me off now.....
---
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

The salt should dissolve in boiling water... Your condenser can't be so large that it won't fit into a pot of boiling water...
eternalfrost
Trainee

Post by eternalfrost »

when you hook it up to the water line is there even any slow drips coming out the other end??

if not id say you got a kink in there or something plugging it up. taste the water your using, if its salty, just give it more time.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Ok, just got done winding my coils. First time I've had to salt one. I haven't removed the salt yet as I'm being a little forcefull with some of the construction at this point.
What I have noticed is that as I adjust the diameter of the coils (twisting it open slightly) that loosens the salt. Probably have lost 1/2 out of each coil so far.
You might try holding each end and giving it a gentle twist, back and forth a few times.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
Oaty
Swill Maker

Post by Oaty »

Riff , if you haven't de-salted the coil by this time...Look at the thread Winding Coils!
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances.
- Mark Twain's Notebook