EZ Solder 2" Shotgun

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: EZ Solder 2" Shotgun

Post by OtisT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 pm

I’d imagine the only difference for him will be space saved. A change in PC should not impact collection speed or taste of the product.

I’m also building one of these now. I bought plates for two condensers. My first is going to have 14” vapor pipes, 16” overall length, with 5 baffles and 1/2” cooling water I/O. I only need it to handle 5500w and with good flow I suspect 14” of jacket will be just enough. If not, I have plates for a second condenser.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Stripping run times we're cut by probably 40% or better.
Spirit run, I've only done one, but my initial impression was that the elimination of the restriction from the top of the riser to the PC made a big improvement in the character of the final spirit. My spirit run times are similar. My cooling water consumption went down a good bit as well.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm

Deplorable wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm
Spirit run, I've only done one, but my initial impression was that the elimination of the restriction from the top of the riser to the PC made a big improvement in the character of the final spirit. My spirit run times are similar. My cooling water consumption went down a good bit as well.
Do you run city water or a recirculation system
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 pm

OtisT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 pm
I’d imagine the only difference for him will be space saved. A change in PC should not impact collection speed or taste of the product.

I’m also building one of these now. I bought plates for two condensers. My first is going to have 14” vapor pipes, 16” overall length, with 5 baffles and 1/2” cooling water I/O. I only need it to handle 5500w and with good flow I suspect 14” of jacket will be just enough. If not, I have plates for a second condenser.

Otis
Taste, no. Character it did, but it wasn't just the condenser. For me it was the whole still. A full 2 inches all the way through, all copper.
It absolutely improved take off speed on strips because of the full 2 inches of unrestricted flow, a could throw more heat at the boiler without overpowering the PC.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Durhommer wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Deplorable wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:53 pm
Do you run city water or a recirculation system
City water, flow to waste.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm

So I'm trying to get twisted brick to build me a shotgun he said he would for 250 plus shipping I'm also purchasing spools a t and 90s I just haven't heard from him in a few days I run a recirculating system so the 2 inch brings the likker over from the boiler maybe 20 minutes quicker on a milkcan still??

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OtisT » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:40 pm

Deplorable wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:59 pm
OtisT wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:09 pm

Otis
Taste, no. Character it did, but it wasn't just the condenser. For me it was the whole still. A full 2 inches all the way through, all copper.
It absolutely improved take off speed on strips because of the full 2 inches of unrestricted flow, a could throw more heat at the boiler without overpowering the PC.
Good point. I did not consider your previous condenser was limiting your power input.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Correct. My "combo" still head had a 13mm OD off take to the SS condenser, same as his MH. The ID of that off take is about .370". A huge restriction that I believe resulted in some issues.
One, I think it is a restriction that at high temp inputs, induces unwanted reflux by allowing vapor time to condense at the top of the head before it can enter the line arm to the RC. So to get a tame, flavorful spirit running in a pot still you have to run painfully slow.
The undersized condenser on mine, like Durhommers, was woefully inadequate, so I lobbed it off and built a better liebig. Running it from the 3/4 opening intended for the (unnecessary) thermometer, I saw an immediate improvement in performance, and a reduction of observed reflux in the sight glass below the head.
Building an all copper 2" CCVM eliminated the need for copper packing in the riser, that I suspect, after a few runs on the new rig was probably tighter than I really needed it to be.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Durhommer wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:03 pm
So I'm trying to get twisted brick to build me a shotgun he said he would for 250 plus shipping I'm also purchasing spools a t and 90s I just haven't heard from him in a few days I run a recirculating system so the 2 inch brings the likker over from the boiler maybe 20 minutes quicker on a milkcan still??
I wouldn't put it that way. With heat up times being equal because you aren't changing your boiler or heat source, time from flame on to first drips should remain the same. However, I couldn't overpower that shotgun on my cleaning runs. Even throwing full power from my 100k BTU propane burner. Did I waste a lot of cooling water trying? Sure, but the output was never over 70F at the spout.
The improvements in time come from the fact you can throw more heat during the stripping run and increase your output rate significantly.
TBH, I could have probably thrown more heat at the boiler during stripping runs and let it puke, but I chose not to, managing the heat until the foam stayed no higher than the bottom of my sight glass. Once past the threat of a puke I increased heat a bit more and maintained a off take rate I was happy with around 2l every 15 minutes.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

2 liter every 15 minutes is amazing to me

Crabmanstyle
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Crabmanstyle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:28 pm

Durhommer wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm
2 liter every 15 minutes is amazing to me
I've a 2" x 24" shotgun with 5 1/2" tubes and with 4kW power and maybe 1/2 liter per minute cooling I'm getting 1 litre ever 10 minutes on a strip and it's coming nowhere close to its full potential. I'm restricted by my power supply only.

Love the toolmaking for those dies by the way.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:08 pm

Just purchased one of these condensers from twisted brick the craftsmanship is amazing this thing looks like a great solid piece