Need Help Making a Condenser

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Need Help Making a Condenser

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Hi Everyone,

I live in a country in the Middle East, where it's nearly impossible to get a pot still, so I'm having one made by a friend of mine who can make pretty much anything out of copper and stainless steel.

I've been making arak for years on a small still and I cant meet the demand, so I'm now going big - like 900 liters.

I designed the boiler and head which were fairly easy, but I'm having trouble designing the condenser.

I was thinking of building a 300 liter condenser with 10 meters of 1/2" copper tube worm inside, but space is an issue, as this is in my basement, so I'd like to go with a shotgun condenser, but I have several questions.

I'm building a pot still, similar to a traditional moonshine still, but I've only ever seen shotguns on column stills is there a reason for that?

If I were to build a shotgun still, how many tubes should I put in it, and what diameter?

I know you're going to say its related to BTUs not boiler size, but I don't know the BTU's. My boiler is 100cm diameter and I'm using a double ring 80cm gas burner underneath.

If I do go with the traditional worm condenser is 1/2" inner diameter tubing ok for this size still and would 10 meters of tube suffice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nader
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Need Help Making a Condenser

Post by NZChris »

It sounds like you are asking for help to build an illegal commercial still. You won't be getting any help from me.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: Need Help Making a Condenser

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

9. It is the hope of this forum to promote the legislation of home distilling as a legal hobby here in the United States. One of our goals is to prove that quality products can be created safely by the home distiller for personal use. Any discussion of selling, bartering or trading any distilled liquor unless by a licensed distillery will not tolerated. Such posts will be edited, deleted or locked, and the poster removed from this site.

10. In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site. Legal distillers can talk about larger boilers in the Craft Distiller forums .
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."