CSST coil question

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StarkBlood1980
Novice

CSST coil question

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

Hi
I’m in the process of getting all the parts together to build a 2.5 inch boka with a 40 inch packed column, 6 gallon boiler and 3kw (240v) heating element.
I would like to use a CSST coil but they’re hard to find in the UK for a reasonable price. I have found a supplier on amazon that will ship to the UK and they have 48 inches of 1/2 CSST for $11 plus shipping. What I’d like to know before I order is
1) fit
2) provide enough cooling ?

Thanks in advance

Chris
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Re: CSST coil question

Post by bluefish_dist »

I have found that 1/2" fits nicely in a 3" pipe and 3/8 fits in a 2". 48" should do the job. It really does work well as a condenser.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

bluefish_dist wrote:I have found that 1/2" fits nicely in a 3" pipe and 3/8 fits in a 2". 48" should do the job. It really does work well as a condenser.
Thanks for the reply, the 1/2 inch is about half the price of the 3/8 so I’m hoping it’ll fit the 2.5 inch pipe I have planned
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

It probably will as I fit 1/2" into 2", but it was twisted instead of wrapped so it was a lot less efficient. Personally I would consider just putting a section of 3" on top of your 2.5 column so it's a better fit. Also that will slow vapor speed making it more efficient as well.
I made a T shaped condenser using a T that was 3" with a 2" side port. Works really well. I also run a 3" on top of a 4" as it fits the CSST better. Just has to be a little longer.

CSST is getting hard to find here as they have gone away from build your own and now sell it as painted lengths. Glad I bought a big roll. I have a nice 2" condenser I will sell if anyone needs one.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
fafrd
Bootlegger

Post by fafrd »

bluefish_dist wrote:It probably will as I fit 1/2" into 2", but it was twisted instead of wrapped so it was a lot less efficient. Personally I would consider just putting a section of 3" on top of your 2.5 column so it's a better fit. Also that will slow vapor speed making it more efficient as well.
I made a T shaped condenser using a T that was 3" with a 2" side port. Works really well. I also run a 3" on top of a 4" as it fits the CSST better. Just has to be a little longer.

CSST is getting hard to find here as they have gone away from build your own and now sell it as painted lengths. Glad I bought a big roll. I have a nice 2" condenser I will sell if anyone needs one.
I just picked up a 48" piece of 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD CSST and am trying to figure out how best to fit it into 2" pipe to make a reflux condenser and a (seperate) product condenser.

Twisted, it will fit with room to spare and will be ~18" long (22" side-by-side). Will either of these designs work within a 2" product condenser?

If I wind the incoming run around a central outgoing run, it looks like it will just barely fit within a 2" pipe as well, but there will not be much clearance and it will be very short (~6" long if wound tight).

Would this short condenser design work well as a reflux condenser?

Could it also function as a (very short) product condenser?

I can get 48" lengths of unpainted CSST for $5, so another option is to double up two folded 48" lengths - that would result in a ~22" long condenser with 2 incoming and 2 outgoing runs which fills a 2" pipe twice as full as a single folded 48" piece of CSST - would this be an effective way to address the lack of efficiency in a 2" pipe you've referred to?
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

fafrd, the RC in my 2” CCVM is 5/8” OD CSST. It fits as a twist and I have woven in some SS scrubbers. Works just fine :thumbup:
C3ABC03A-41BA-4F59-8C6D-E2997D841691.jpeg
The yellow zipties mark the position if the RC at the top of the column for total reflux (lowest) and hearts. There is about 4” between the two markers :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
fafrd
Bootlegger

Post by fafrd »

kimbodious wrote:fafrd, the RC in my 2” CCVM is 5/8” OD CSST. It fits as a twist and I have woven in some SS scrubbers. Works just fine :thumbup:
C3ABC03A-41BA-4F59-8C6D-E2997D841691.jpeg
The yellow zipties mark the position if the RC at the top of the column for total reflux (lowest) and hearts. There is about 4” between the two markers :thumbup:
Kimbodious,

thanks for that pic. Is that about a 4' length of CSST?

I had been planning to wind my RC tighter around a central run, but that would pretty much fill a 2" pipe with no much wiggle-room.

The twisted design like your using is a much easier fit, and I like the use of SS scrubbies to fill the space.

But It must mean you have a longer column above the product port, right? How long is the above-port section of your column? 15"? 18?

I'm also thinking of using a similar CSST-Dimroth condenser concept for my product condenser (angled at ~45-degrees rather than vertical) - do you think that idea would be effective?

Would love to know how the product condenser portion of your CCVM design looks... (possibly for a different thread such as the one where I am seeking help with my keg-based CCVM design: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=71071)
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

It was a 7’ length of CSST. I have a 12” length of spool above my offtake. Check out the pic of my CCVM form the link in my sugnature :thumbup:
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

I did 1/2” in my 2” column

Initially tried to do a coil but gave up trying to squeeze it in.

Ended up doing a set of nested & crossed U’s plumbed in series and so far has worked great.
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

If anyone’s interested my 1/2 CSST coil fits perfectly in my 2.5” boka.
fafrd
Bootlegger

Post by fafrd »

hpby98 wrote:I did 1/2” in my 2” column

Initially tried to do a coil but gave up trying to squeeze it in.

Ended up doing a set of nested & crossed U’s plumbed in series and so far has worked great.
So 2 folded lengths of 1/2" CSST in a 2" column?

I've thought about that configuration if a single 'twisted' piece of CSST does not get the job done.

How long were your two 'U' s of CSST?

How long was your 2"!condenser shell?

Was this CSST-based dimroth-like condenser for reflux or product?

Is there a reason connected in series is better? Wouldn't two Us connected in parallel work just as well (or maybe even better)?
fafrd
Bootlegger

Post by fafrd »

kimbodious wrote:It was a 7’ length of CSST. I have a 12” length of spool above my offtake. Check out the pic of my CCVM form the link in my sugnature :thumbup:
Wow, so total length of the twisted CSST must be close to 30", right?

And between your 12" extension and the ~6" of tube in the 'T' above the product port, when it is in the lower position, your CSST must extend down into the tubing under the stainless T, right?

When the CSST is 'pulled-up' to allow vapor to make it into the product port, do you believe it's pulled all the way above the product port or is is still extending past the product port and obstructing some of the product flow that woukd be possible if it was pulled up even more?

And what type of PC are you using? I see the two hoses going into the 12" length of stainless tubing - is that a short liebig followed by a long passive extention of 1/2" or 3/4" copper?

I' interested in your desgn because I'm thinking of putting together a very similar rig but using only 2" tubing.

~40" of 2" into a 2" TC T
-12" (or longer, if needed) 2" extension for CCVM CSST twisted Dimroth condenser (48" to start, longer if needed) for RC
-2" Dimroth PC using another 48" long piece of CSST inserted into product output

If you think using CSST-Dimroth for PC is a decision I may regret, would appreciate to understand reasons why...
Wolfairious
Novice

Post by Wolfairious »

I was looking at a 72" piece to go into my 2" CCVM column. It is $10 at HomeDepot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-3 ... /204626732" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow Think I can go smaller? 60"
Modular Keg Pot Still & 3" CCVM