Compact Air-Cooled Condenser

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

oakgriff
Novice

Compact Air-Cooled Condenser

Post by oakgriff »

I am interested in building a compact air cooled condenser for my 4 gallon pot still. I've seen some threads where lengths of hydronic heating element were used with success, but I'm looking for something more compact.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328126206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... 2812620648

I found this heat exchanger on aliexpress, and it seems like it would work fairly well. I've messaged the seller to see if the use leaded solder (they probably do). I was wondering if anyone else has used a compact air cooling solution similar to this, or has a better suggestion for a heat exchanger.

Thanks
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Compact Air-Cooled Condenser

Post by acfixer69 »

link don't work for me.
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PURSWAV ... 20648.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Attempt #2
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Waaay too small. If you look at the specs it's 7mm (1/4") tube going through it. Also the nominal capacity is 250 watts, not nearly enough to cool the water down. But some bigger ones will work.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

I'll take a look at the larger ones. My assumption is that the 250 watt rating was with no forced air. Could be wrong though.

If I am running off of a 1500 Watt hot plate is there a ballpark estimation for cooling that needs to happen? I assume ~85% efficiency from the plate to the wash, then probably another 15% loss through the other tubing and from the sides of the pot. I thought that even this little guy might be enough to handle it.

I don't need to do lightning fast runs.
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Whatever heat you put in you have to take out. If I were you I would try to make one that can handle 5500w because more than likely you are gonna build a bigger better rig soon enough.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Fair enough. After some more research, I think I have decided to go with a hydronic baseboard heater element cut into pieces and connected with a manifold placed in front of a small fan.
Based on some dimensions from the heat exchanger manufacturer and some calculations for forced convective heat flow, It looks like a 2 foot section of pipe will provide at least 2600 Watts of cooling power to the condensing steam from the fins on the pipe alone, using a conservative number for the air film convective coefficient. With another conservative estimate for the total coling from the exposed pipe surface + fins, total cooling should be around 4900 W.

https://www.engineersedge.com/calculato ... _10048.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/conv ... d_430.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
(Handy online calculators and information above.)

I am striving for a simplified operation of the still, without dealing with extra pipe, water flow, and flow adjustment, as well as a lowered cost of construction and use. Ideally using this air condenser and fan means that I'll only have to control a single variable in my setup, the flame on my burner.

There doesn't seem to be a large amount of interest in this thread, but I will update with results when I build the condenser and test it out.
Appalachian spirits
Novice

Post by Appalachian spirits »

I misstrust any hvac/refrigeration componets unless theyre certified lead free. A LOT of hvac/refrigeration tubing and hardware are unsuitable for distillation. Not saying that particular unit isnt suitable just be careful of what you use
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Here is one solution. Check Out Transmission Oil Coolers like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEADH4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Search posts by Redwood Hillybilly. He has some posts showing his rig with two of these for re-circulation cooling. You would need a 12V power supply to power the fan.

I'm not sure why folks are worried about lead solder on these. You only plan to run cooling water through them, right?

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

This is the one I built from a 16" X 16" generic copper radiator core from Amazon, and a 18" standard "el-cheapo" box fan that I mated to it. It sits on top of my 50 gallon plastic reservoir, and my cooling water is pumped through the system by a submersible fountain pump. I added quick release fittings on the hoses for convenience. I use it with both my 13 gal boiler and 26 gal boiler. Each are heated with 240 Volt 5,500 Watt elements. Hot water from the dephleg and condensers return into the top of the radiator, and the cooled water comes out the bottom, to return to the reservoir.
Flute_Still 004.JPG
Flute_Still 003.JPG
Flute_Still 011.JPG
Still 009.JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice job Euphoria, I saw a similar set up at a craft distillery in Seattle.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Euphoria, are you running one or two elements in the 26 gallon boiler?
danny1202
Novice

Post by danny1202 »

Euphoria, i have a similar set up as to what you have cooling wise. Can you share what water temps your at lets say after 2 hours into a reflux run. Thanks
oakgriff
Novice

Post by oakgriff »

Bit late, but Bushman, what distillery was that? I'd love to go check it out.