Avoiding air in the top of Dephlegmator

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Talix
Novice

Avoiding air in the top of Dephlegmator

Post by Talix »

Hi guys

On my way to a completely modular flute. I've gotten a fair way but want to make sure that I avoid the worst pitfalls...

I'm now up to putting together my shotgun dephleg. It will consist of a 150mm section of 4" pipe, and 12 lengths of 1/2" tube. I'm aiming for about 100mm of total cooling jacket length. I'd also decided to go with baffles to improve efficiency and reactiveness. However, an issue I've suddenly become aware of is that if using cross flow (inlet at the top, outlet at bottom) the gasses suspended in the water will accumulate at the highest point of the RC, slowly leading to a decrease in efficiency toward the end of the run...

Now, I can just swap the in- and outlet, no biggie with the cross flow I've heard... But should I then also discard the baffles? It seems as if baffles are just to increase the effectiveness of cross flow heat exchange. It might even be counter productive having them if in/out are reversed.

What do you think?
Talix
Novice

Re: Avoiding air in the top of Dephlegmator

Post by Talix »

For your reference, I've attached the original design as a pdf.
Attachments
Dephlegmator design.pdf
(380.11 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I had that problem also, but I re-plumbed my dephlag and it works quite well now. I plumbed the water in at the top and out at the bottom just as you described, but I put the flow control valve on the exit and ran the water pressure in the top. I also put a small bleeder valve on the top opposite the inlet. So when I run the still I turn on the water with the exit valve closed and bleed all the air out of the dephlag using the small bleeder . This guarantees no air in the chamber and it gives very finite control of the water temps in the dephlag itself since it constantly under pressure from the fill side . .
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

You know, I have read many posts where people insist you have to go in from the top and out the bottom. I don't think it is as critical as people seem to think. I believe the cold water will naturally sink to the bottom anyway and hot go to the top. I plumbed mine in through the bottom because I don't want the water in my dephleg pressurized, I worry it might result in a leak. I have had no control issues whatsoever by plumbing in from the bottom and out the top and I know for certain no matter what the dephleg will be full of water.
Talix
Novice

Post by Talix »

corene1 wrote:I had that problem also, but I re-plumbed my dephlag and it works quite well now. I plumbed the water in at the top and out at the bottom just as you described, but I put the flow control valve on the exit and ran the water pressure in the top. I also put a small bleeder valve on the top opposite the inlet. So when I run the still I turn on the water with the exit valve closed and bleed all the air out of the dephlag using the small bleeder . This guarantees no air in the chamber and it gives very finite control of the water temps in the dephlag itself since it constantly under pressure from the fill side . .
cranky wrote:You know, I have read many posts where people insist you have to go in from the top and out the bottom. I don't think it is as critical as people seem to think.
Yeah, that's what I figured as well... Baffles are out I guess, I can make a few more perf. plates out of the copper sheets instead :)

I don't think I'll use a bleed valve though. Just cracking the exit valve open should fill the chamber, no?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The water on my the dephlegmator goes in the top and out the bottom.
Due to the way that I built mine I was worried that the dephlegmator would get an air bubble in the top of it.
Most people said that it would not happen, water pressure alone would be enough to blow any air out of the system as long as you opened it up to full reflux at the beginning of the run.
In short pumping a lot of water through the the dephlegmator in a short time would blast any air out.
I'm not that great at doing things the way others say I should , so I went right ahead and put in a air bleed in the top of my the dephlegmator, glad I did ....lots of air escapes when I bleed it off.
I often wonder how many dephlegmators dont preform to optimum because they have air caught in them.
Last edited by Saltbush Bill on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I've seen Salty bleed that valve and there is a lot of air comes out . :thumbup: .... so it is a genuine issue .
Corene does the same as Salty with a bleed valve .

I'm kinda like Cranky , I use the cold in at the bottom , hot out at the top with the valve on the outlet at the top to keep the deflag full and not have any syphoning effect ....: iff'n that is a concern . :roll:

I don't have mains pressure so not worried about leaks ( LOL I'd Bloody hope my brazing would be able to cope ) poke poke @Cranky :mrgreen:

All methods work at the end of the day . Don't get too hung up on it .
What you should be thnking about is flow adjustment control . Needle valves will be the difference between frustration and pleasure . Needle bypass for quick full refux is nice also .

Don't worry about baffles . ... seriously .... at 100 mm long , vapour speed "blow through" will be your limiting concern long before cooling efficiency becomes an issue

And before vapour blow through becomes an issue , pulling tails through your run will be .
What I'm trying to say is you deflag will be fine for normal flute operation but controlling the minimal coolant flow that is required really is the main thing you should be worried about .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

+1 Yummy :thumbup:
On a side note.
For several reasons, I prefer a dimroth style of dephlegmator better than a shotgun
Especially on a plated column
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yummyrum wrote:What you should be thnking about is flow adjustment control . Needle valves will be the difference between frustration and pleasure . Needle bypass for quick full refux is nice also .
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Yummyrum wrote:Don't worry about baffles . ... seriously .... at 100 mm long , vapour speed "blow through" will be your limiting concern long before cooling efficiency becomes an issue
Iv'e been trying to say that for ages ......you do it so much better Yummy :thumbup:
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yummyrum wrote:I don't have mains pressure so not worried about leaks ( LOL I'd Bloody hope my brazing would be able to cope ) poke poke @Cranky :mrgreen:
Have you seen the crappy solder work on my columns? :roll: I never had trouble with the shotgun leaking but had a hell of a time with the copper to stainless connections on my dimroths. Lots of people do have trouble with leaks, I run a pump with 11 Ft head lift that I'm pretty sure puts out more pressure than I would be comfortable with. My backup pump is capable of 24 Ft head lift and puts out so much pressure that if it is run without a relief valve it blows fittings apart, sprays like a fire hose and empties a 55 gallon reservoir in seconds. I seriously doubt my crappy solder work could stand up to that.

Just to fill people who may not have seen my setups, I run a shotgun on top of my neutral column and a dimroth in my flute. I like the dimroth best but have no complaints about the shotgun. I think the initial control on the dimroth might be a bit faster to react to adjustments but once the shotgun is up to temp it is fine.
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

FWIW, Just my two cents, but I have always run my dephlegmator cooling water in from the bottom and out the top, with my metering valve on the upper outlet water line. I have never found it to run erratically, nor have I ever had a temperature stability control problem. I run it on a 26 gallon boiler and a 4" fluted column. It has always worked quite well for me. It also helps greatly to have the cooling water supply/return lines split between the dephlegmator and the condenser, rather than running them in series. On mine, I have separate metering control for each off the common "wye" supply line from my cooling water reservoir.
Flute_Still 009.JPG
Still 003 (2).JPG
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Another way to do it, if you still want the water to be counter flow (cold in at the top and warm out at the bottom) is to route the water discharge line up and over the top of the dephlag. That way, when the dephlag fills with water, the level of water is higher than the inlet even though the inlet is on the top of the dephlag.

I do it that way with my concentric RC. The condenser fills completely with water before the water flows out the discharge line.

“Gravity”....it’s not just “a good idea”....it’s the law!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

https://youtu.be/Vj6w5xOIxIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

I fill all my condenser wether is a PC or a RC from bottom with needle valve on top to regulate flow on output side.
Works just fine.
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

You can fill from top also.
https://youtu.be/Fbgbp2zCJYQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I rather not.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have a shotgun dephlagmater, both fill and exit are at the top but the fill port tube extends to the bottom of the dephlagmater thus is the same as a bottom fill. Has worked great with no problems. Below is a drawing of my original plans that explains the build. Actual build, the second picture has fewer tubes as tests showed I didn't need the amount on my original drawing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
image.jpeg
captainshooch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captainshooch »

My mash rookie condenser i got from 700G looks just like that bushy. It fills from bottom also. Best way to purge air out IMHO
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thats the same design as mine to Bushman, The difference is mine fills from the top, one of the reasons I needed a air bleed valve. That design of dephlegmator with both tubes going in the top was fairly common back then.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

captainshooch wrote:My mash rookie condenser i got from 700G looks just like that bushy. It fills from bottom also. Best way to purge air out IMHO
MR and I built them together. I did the CNC cutting and he had the design idea.
Saltbush Bill wrote:Thats the same design as mine to Bushman, The difference is mine fills from the top, one of the reasons I needed a air bleed valve. That design of dephlegmator with both tubes going in the top was fairly common back then.
It drops in the column through the top. If you look closely above the dephlagmater the plate that sits down on top of the column has a grove I milled to hold my 4" gasket. Serves like a ferrule and I seal it with a tri-clamp. Below are the milled pieces, the two smaller ones made up the dephlagmater and the larger one is the one I am talking about.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Drop in was the way it was done 7-8 years ago, how things have changed.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

shadylane wrote: For several reasons, I prefer a dimroth style of dephlegmator better than a shotgun
Especially on a plated column
Any picture ? :)
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Drop in was the way it was done 7-8 years ago, how things have changed.
Was an easy solution! Just cut the 4" tube lengthwise and soldered it a bit smaller to slide in.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've been plumbing the dephlemator with cold water in the bottom and hot out the top
Here's a pick of a 4" shotgun next to a 4" dimroth dephleg of similar knock down power.
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

I am only going to build coil condensers from now on. It gets rid of the air problem, responds much faster and is far more efficient. Besides all that it's really simple to build and nowhere to leak from inside the column. I do think the deflag is a sexier build, but you can't see it in action with a sight glass like you can a coil. I always do cross flow and my control valves are always on the outlet so that you can't starve the system.
Attachments
IMG_20150912_14558.jpg
IMG_20150920_50945.jpg
IMG_20150912_17484.jpg
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

This is what mine looks like
dimroth.jpg
It was much easier to make that a shotgun that's for sure
Euphoria
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Euphoria »

A Frankenphlegmator! Sorry, I just couldn't resist Cranky. :lol:
It's aliiiiiiive!!!!!
"Government doesn't have the answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan