Water BTU per Gallon

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Water BTU per Gallon

Post by CaptMorgan »

I have been trying to find values on how much heat a gallon of water can remove. Google did not bring me much success. In a recent fire training class, I learned a gallon of water can remove 9,350 btu. You can use this to help figure out how much water you will need. You still need to be sure to knock down all vapors room your still unless you want a boom!
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Water BTU per Gallon

Post by Expat »

Definition of One BTU is the amount of heat energy required to raise one pound of water by 1ºF. So, water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon therefore one gallon of water requies 8.33 BTU to raise the temperature 1ºF.

So depending on your definition of take away, this is your answer. Input water temp, output water temp and volume, take some more off for heat loss from your still and potentially whatever heat source your use.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by The Baker »

Expat wrote:Definition of One BTU is the amount of heat energy required to raise one pound of water by 1ºF. So, water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon therefore one gallon of water requies 8.33 BTU to raise the temperature 1ºF.

So depending on your definition of take away, this is your answer. Input water temp, output water temp and volume, take some more off for heat loss from your still and potentially whatever heat source your use.
Water weighs ten pounds per IMPERIAL gallon.

Geoff
The Baker
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

CM Why? I call Bullshit. Home Distiller.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

The Baker wrote:
Expat wrote:Definition of One BTU is the amount of heat energy required to raise one pound of water by 1ºF. So, water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon therefore one gallon of water requies 8.33 BTU to raise the temperature 1ºF.

Water weighs ten pounds per IMPERIAL gallon.

Geoff
Not sure why this matters; the poster is in the USA hence US gallons which is 8.3 LB.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by The Baker »

expat said, 'Not sure why this matters; the poster is in the USA hence US gallons which is 8.3 LB"

Quite right but it would be of interest to the many readers who are not in the USA.

(I am in Australia; we use litres now but many of us still THINK in Imperial gallons).
Regards,
Geoff
The Baker
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

+1 @Baker

I'm a Canadian on the US border and this saves me some time
Also a litre of water should be a kilogram due to a ml of water being 1 gram
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down