Coiled Liebig

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Windswept
Swill Maker

Coiled Liebig

Post by Windswept »

Just popped into my head, but has anyone made a coiled liebig condenser before? I'm thinking I could take a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and push it into a piece of 3/4" copper (or even 1" black plastic tubing). Kind of like mashing a worm and a liebig together.

I clearly haven't thought it through all the way, but thought I'd get some feedback.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Coiled Liebig

Post by NZChris »

Not coiled, bent. After bending, I wrapped the inner with a spiral of electrical cable the diameter of the gap then pushed clear plastic tube over it.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Were you thinking of a graham condenser..

Check the link on a graham built.. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41674

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

StillerBoy wrote:Were you thinking of a graham condenser..

Check the link on a graham built.. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41674

Mars
Not a graham, but a jacketed worm, I guess would be closest. Maybe I’ll just make one and see how it works!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Windswept wrote:Not a graham, but a jacketed worm, I guess would be closest. Maybe I’ll just make one and see how it works!
It will work alright, but the weight of it, once full of circulating water, will be heavy..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Myles built one about 8-10 years ago and theres some cool pics of it here somewhere . Don’t have time atm to seach it .
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Yummyrum wrote:Myles built one about 8-10 years ago and theres some cool pics of it here somewhere . Don’t have time atm to seach it .
I'm not so sure Myles built anything that wasn't cool. Here's the links:

http://www.coppercustomstillcomponents. ... .php?t=146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... =61&t=1488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Attachments
Myles Coiled Liebig.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

Windswept wrote:Just popped into my head, but has anyone made a coiled liebig condenser before? I'm thinking I could take a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and push it into a piece of 3/4" copper (or even 1" black plastic tubing). Kind of like mashing a worm and a liebig together.

I clearly haven't thought it through all the way, but thought I'd get some feedback.
If you do a Google search for "DIY coiled counterflow wort chiller" you will get a good assortment of ideas. The beer guys use these quite a bit.
I just thought this might be along the lines of what you were thinking.
Hope it helps.
WillieP
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

WillieP, ya beat me to it. What you've described is a counter-flow chiller. The OP, that is
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Twisted Brick wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Myles built one about 8-10 years ago and theres some cool pics of it here somewhere . Don’t have time atm to seach it .
I'm not so sure Myles built anything that wasn't cool. Here's the links:

http://www.coppercustomstillcomponents. ... .php?t=146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewto ... =61&t=1488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks twisted :thumbup:
LOL I scanned through 84 pages of posts that Myles had made and couldn’t find it. ( over 2400 posts )
Apparently he used photo bucket ... and the rest is history . :thumbdown:

Yes thats the one . Cheers
And thanks for posting a real pic . Unless members are signed up to CCSC or MD they can’t see pics ..... thats one thing I really love about HD forum .... vistors can see all pics . :thumbup:
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

WillieP wrote:
Windswept wrote:Just popped into my head, but has anyone made a coiled liebig condenser before? I'm thinking I could take a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and push it into a piece of 3/4" copper (or even 1" black plastic tubing). Kind of like mashing a worm and a liebig together.

If you do a Google search for "DIY coiled counterflow wort chiller" you will get a good assortment of ideas. The beer guys use these quite a bit.
I just thought this might be along the lines of what you were thinking.
Hope it helps.
WillieP
Exactly! I didn't think it was a new idea, thanks for the links!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Here's a link that one of the poster stated how he built his coiled liebig..

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... 8&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

That is really nice work!
I made one out of the same motivation.
Took 1 m length of 15 mm OD inside a bit shorter 22 mm OD (20 mm ID). Soldered a wire around the inner pipe, locked a 15-15-22 T on one side and bended with a bending iron. It took some strength and I was a bit rough, but it worked. When I reached the other end, I fitted another 15-15-22 mm T.

It went quiet well, but I forgot to think about the diameter of the spiral. Result was a very unpractical half-spiral that was too hard to balance. Never used it.
Can't find the pictures now, but I will post them as soon as I see them.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Found them
2016-10-20000a-kleinlinks.jpg
The left side. Left the right side open.

2016-10-20000a-kleinrechts.jpg
The black colours are made by the attempt to anneal by a wood fire.

2016-10-21000b-kleiner.jpg
Halfway. I wanted to make a full circle with straight bends to the left and right. But, as the diameter was much larger than I expected, it just came to this:
2016-10-21001a-kleiner.jpg
I should have let out the first counterbend or have taken pipes of 2 in stead of 1 m.
Now that I see them again, some 3 years later, I think of soldering another length to it and finish the curves.