Post by shadylane »

Somebody needs to make a dimroth condenser out of one of these
Attachments
copper cooler.jpg
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: copper CPU cooler

Post by StillerBoy »

You be the first Shady.. at the price of one unit, I certainly can make one cheaper..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

$33 and free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Computer- ... way&sr=8-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Am aware of the price.. but are aware of the size they are.. would need maybe half dozen are so, and even then as they are quite small..

Naa will stay with the shotgun..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

"Item Dimensions 6.5 x 4.2 x 4 in"
I suspect only one of these will be needed knock down 5000 watts or more.
The heat sink is 6" dia X 4" thick
I figure to remove all the junk off the sink, replumb it and stuff it in a SS spool.
The cooling water will flow through the tubing
And the vapor gets to condense on all that cool surface area. :wink:
Also, If possible I'd like to squeeze the heat sink dia down to 4"
I'm a cheap bastard and 4" SS tubing is cheaper than 6"
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

There is no way that would cool a1500 watt still physics equation inmy head says that.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Wanna bet
And make it good enough to reimburse me for building another experiment :lol:
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Given that the cooler was designed to dissipate around 150W from a CPU, i'm betting with AC.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by StillerBoy »

I'ill take you on Shady.. there no way in hell that small cooler will knock down 5500w..

So you're on, and I need a new small 5 - 3/8" in a 1.5" x 12" shotgun with the works inside..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Shady I'd take ya on that but i'm a ringer on that, I spent a long time on the Yale Uni campus and they had a make up air system that exhausted thousand of CFMS and so the buildings didn't go into a vacuum they had outside air make up vents. Being that it gets very cold in CT they had the company I was working for design install a system which is called a "heat pipe" https://www.radianheatsinks.com/heatpip ... LVEALw_wcB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow It works similar to what you are talking about. How ever not for 30+ bucks.. I've thought about building a heat pipe condenser, but my engineering days are gone bye. I'll stick with a proven most cost effective "The Shotgun" water in and water out.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

How many square inches of cool copper is exposed to the vapor on a shotgun :?:
I'd guess this has at least 10X the area.
And a garden hose supplying the cooling water
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Expat wrote:Given that the cooler was designed to dissipate around 150W from a CPU, i'm betting with AC.
You right if used as designed
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Guess your going to build it to prove it. The truth is I want something like that but it's still energy in and energy out will equal. Glad you brought this up as the heat pipe is not worthless in our needs. Maybe in the ferment cooling control.

I have been thinking about this stuff too
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

I'm skeptical, but interested...
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's two of my dephlegmators, a 4" dimroth and shotgun with the same knock down power.
I wonder how much power the dimroth could knock down with lots of cooling fins
Attachments
DSCF0003.JPG
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

4 cents.

A drop of condensation would fill those gaps between fins and there goes the surface area. AND don’t even think about what it would take to clean after a puke w/o ruining every fin.

I was thinking about surface area before and remembered what we did with air cooled dirt bike blocks, sandblasting them to greatly increasee surface area. That only helped when dry or clean. If not, I’d make a super efficient liebig by pitting the inside and outside of the VP.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

shadylane wrote:Here's two of my dephlegmators, a 4" dimroth and shotgun with the same knock down power.
Shady you are using some terms rather loosely, they both may be able to knock down what you throw at it but one would out preform the other.
Also you are with the chip cooler comparing water cool to air cool. That little chip cooler works because energy "heat" travels from hot to cold and that chip gets very hot and the heat moves with conductive contact to the air over fins that is solid wire not tube.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

acfixer69 wrote:That little chip cooler works because energy "heat" travels from hot to cold and that chip gets very hot and the heat moves with conductive contact to the air over fins that is solid wire not tube.

I thought it was tubing :oops:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

shadylane wrote:
acfixer69 wrote:That little chip cooler works because energy "heat" travels from hot to cold and that chip gets very hot and the heat moves with conductive contact to the air over fins that is solid wire not tube.

It is shady look up "heat pipe cpu cooler" it contains a liquid that evaporates and migrates to the fins and condenses,

closed loop system, the problem as stated above is that you need several of them, the copper plate is less than 4 sq.in.
be water my friend
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

cob wrote:
shadylane wrote:

It is shady look up "heat pipe cpu cooler" it contains a liquid that evaporates and migrates to the fins and condenses,

closed loop system, the problem as stated above is that you need several of them, the copper plate is less than 4 sq.in.
I know that a true heat pipe system has a refrigerant in it, but this one doesn't. Nothing in the description indicates more then conductive transfer of energy.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

cob wrote:look up "heat pipe cpu cooler" it contains a liquid that evaporates and migrates to the fins and condenses, closed loop system,
I went to the manufactures website and it does use tubing with heat transfer fluid called heatpipes
cob wrote:the problem as stated above is that you need several of them, the copper plate is less than 4 sq.in.
I'm thinking about taking the fan and 4 sq in pad off. cutting the ends off the heat pipe tubes and replumbing them, so cooling water can flow through the tubes
According to what I can find the copper fins have over 500 square inches of surface area for alcohol vapors to condense on.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Got a link to that info shady I would like see how they meter it to call it a heat pipe. There needs to be a phase change .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

acfixer69 wrote:Got a link to that info shady I would like see how they meter it to call it a heat pipe. There needs to be a phase change .
Here Ya go. https://www.quietpc.com/instructions/za ... 9500AT.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They used the term "heatpipes"

1. Features
3) Optimized heatsink layout composed of pure copper for maximum heatsink efficiency. 4) Innovative, patented, and curved heatpipe design for a heat transfer capacity of up to six heatpipes with just three.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Thanks for the link but they use the term heatpipe but only show a conductive interaction. No heatpipe there. In order for a heatpipe to work there has to be a phase change to suck heat.

Aside from that as you said you want to make it a finned water cooled condenser how big or how small it needs to be is a no issue just a building issue. A Heatpipe your in my interest. I have done this in real life just nothing this small.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

acfixer69 wrote:Thanks for the link but they use the term heatpipe but only show a conductive interaction. No heatpipe there. In order for a heatpipe to work there has to be a phase change to suck heat.
is liquid to gas, and back to liquid not a phase change?
be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

33 dollars poorer and waiting on the UPS delivery van.
Even if this experiment don't work, all isn't lost.
My old dog will get to chase and bark at the UPS :lol:
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Shady ,I was thinking positively about this and to my way of thinking is that it does have a large copper surface area with all those copper fins . :thumbup:
But at the end of the day , what gets the heat out is the three coils and they are close to the middle of the fins ..... I’d guess maybe 2” diameter coil of 3 turns of what looks like 1/4” or 3/16” tubing ( assuming it is actually pipe) :?

So I have jumped to the naysayers camp on this one . Maybe it might knock down less than a Kw but it certainly wouldn’t work in a typical 4” flute at the powers we normally use .

Then there is the issue of putting it in a 6” shell with reducers etc .

Still , I’m keen to see how it works :thumbup:
Cause you gotta admit .... it’s one sexy looking piece of copper :D
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Heat tubes have a wick on the ID of the tube.
I hope that doesn't limit the water flow too much
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The heat tube thing has gotten my creative juices flowing. I reckon it's possible to come up with a condenser design that uses a heat tube at the top end to wick away the bulk of the Watts, then using water to drop the condensate temperature through the bottom section to suit my alcometer.

For the cooling fins, I'm thinking more along the lines of utilizing a copper car radiator core.

I'm sure the one you have linked to in your OP would get rid of enough heat to run my mini gin still on a cold day and I'd be tempted to try it except that it already finishes a run ok with about three gallons of water from the creek and we're moving into winter. :)
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

acfixer69 wrote:
shadylane wrote:Here's two of my dephlegmators, a 4" dimroth and shotgun with the same knock down power.
Shady you are using some terms rather loosely, they both may be able to knock down what you throw at it but one would out preform the other.
Both of them are capable of 100% reflux @ 5kw on a 4" X 110" packed column
The dimroth is easier to control at lower reflux ratio's than the shot-gun.
On a side note. Instead of running 100% and waiting, I now prefer to run 99% reflux and let the forshots dip out