4 inch shotgun with 14 tubes 1/2”

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

4 inch shotgun with 14 tubes 1/2”

Post by Jack C »

Just a couple pics of an over built shotgun condenser that I built for reflux over my 4 inch plate column. I will put the ferrules on tomorrow when they arrive.
Dry fit.
Dry fit.
After pressure test.
After pressure test.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: 4 inch shotgun with 14 tubes 1/2”

Post by LWTCS »

Really beautiful.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

Thanks LWTS. It can be a little bit tough the first time you build one or it was for me. The center disk was placed in the middle and has some 5/16 holes drill that should give about 35% of the plate surface of flow. I hope that will help pull heat into the water by adding some turbulence to it. Also I did cheat a little by hard soldering a few places so it would hold together for sealing with Harris 8.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Jack C wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:22 pm I did cheat a little
No such thing , you do what ya have to do to get the job done the easiest and best way possible. :thumbup:
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Not a cheat if you do it to make it work. I like it, bit bigger then I would have made it but that's me. Nice job.
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

Thank you both. I must admit that I have always ran csst coils or copper wound. I really don’t have enough experience running shell and tube condensers and that was the driving reason to build it. I wanted to see if I was missing something that would affect the final product or smooth out the running of the still. The tubes are 6.5 inches long and with 14 of them if a surprise came up during a run I should have no problem putting the system into full reflux. My big concern is over cooling the vapor so as to nock the column out of its smooth. I am sure with some time behind the wheel I will get a better understand.
I really can not over state the amount of information on this site and the great members that put it there.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

My comment on size is to reference only to it's response time to adjustment. I have stopped worrying about can I hold full reflux. I don't hold the full reflux thing on the plated column and start pulling fores as soon as the start to come over so a shorter deflagmater has a faster response. May be just my way but they all drive different. :thumbup:
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

A pic of it with the flanges on.
57126D62-C749-4F2C-88E5-52D98146B735.jpeg
E1B24555-958D-4446-93DE-7112DABE60F9.jpeg
ZMan3k
Novice

Post by ZMan3k »

Nice job, she's a real beauty! Mind if I ask where you got the template and if you'd be willing to send a copy to me? In the process of getting things together to build a 4" bubble plate column and this would work great for a dephlag above it as i'll have some extra 4" copper.

-Z
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

As mentioned it is beautiful. AC mentioned the size, mine is also much smaller with five 3/4” tubes six inches long and I can get 100% reflux. What is that outer pipe on your condenser, looks like a handle?
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

The output piping is 1/2 copper. I did sweat a small piece of copper so the one to brace it so it did not bend over time. I did not have a template for it. I used a compass/dividing tool and laid it out from there. If I had a template I would be happy to send it. Also in one of the pictures there is baffle plate shown. It was set to the center of the tubes and has 37% surface area in holes for the water.
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

Bushman. I was hoping that by raising the output pipe slightly above the input that it would help keep air trapping in the top. I could turn it on full flow and push the air out then it would not siphon back in, I hope.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Sounds plausible Jack . Some do similar by raising the outlet hose above inlet but yours is a neater way about it :thumbup:

I was curious about your baffle being at the top end . Is it more a flow diverter rather than a baffle to spread the incoming water more evenly between the tubes ??
Jack C
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jack C »

In the picture the baffle was not in place. I slid it to the center and tacked it in place with some solder I am hoping it will keep a little pressure on the water as it passes through and helps increase better heat absorption and full contact.