Fittings for a Shotgun?

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Post Reply
Bee
Novice
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 am

I'm trying to put together a shotgun condenser and I'm having some problem figuring out what parts to use. I'm not a plumber, so I don't know what is available or even what it would be called. The only things I know for sure are that I want a ball valve on the inlet side and that I want to hook up the male end of a garden hose on the inlet and the female end of a garden hose on the outlet.

So if you could help me out with a BOM I'd appreciate it.

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am

For the water in and out ports, I used (2) 1/2 inch NPT copper adapters https://www.supplyhouse.com/Elkhart-301 ... 186aed93cd
To those, use a NPT to GHT brass adapter, one MM and one MF.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-GHM ... se-Adapter
and
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Sioux-Chief ... ead-to-MIP
I dont use a ball valve, I use (2) 1/2 inch gate valves on a manifold I built from peices of leftover 3/4 and 1/2 copper pipe.
One for the PC, and one for the RC. Neither need to be opened more than a trickle to acheive proper cooling.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-GTV ... -Lead-Free

I put the manifold on the end of the garden hose running into the garage, and turn on the water at the hose bib. The manifold has a 3/4 inch gate valve on the end. Hook up one short hose to the shotgun inlet from the maifold, and another short hose from the outlet to a hose splitter attached to a waste hose flowing out of the garage to a water drain.
the RC is connected in the same manner, and both condensers can be operated induvidually from the manifold, draining to the same hose out to the drain.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Bee
Novice
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 am

Do you have a picture of your setup?

Do they make ball valves threaded like that? I really don't like gate valves. Seems like I'm constantly replacing those leaky SOBs around the house.

User avatar
shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 7243
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:54 pm
Location: Hiding In the Boiler room of the Insane asylum

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by shadylane » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:48 am

Here's a shotgun I built awhile back, maybe there's some info you might find useful
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=49639

30xs
Swill Maker
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm
Location: WV

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by 30xs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:10 am

I used 1/2” to 3/8” fnpt adapters cut short for both my shotguns and dephlegs. It keeps the fittings closer to flush to keep from damaging and then I can three in whatever fitting I want, not locked into any one fitting permanently.
F4882FA6-A2DE-4810-86BE-587AA16FBEEB.jpeg

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 am

Nice copper work
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:05 am

Bee wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 am
Do you have a picture of your setup?

Do they make ball valves threaded like that? I really don't like gate valves. Seems like I'm constantly replacing those leaky SOBs around the house.
Sacrificial cleaning run
Sacrificial cleaning run
Yes they do, and that supply house linked has good prices and fast shipping. I have a couple of 1/2 threaded quarter turn ball valves that I used before I built my manifold.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Bee
Novice
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 am

Why did you go from ball valves to gate valves?

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am

A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

Another nice benifit of using a cooling water manifold is when Im only running a product condenser, I have a 2nd hose handy to clean the fermenter, and whatnots while the still is running a stripping run without running a 2nd hose into the garage.

My manifold is really pretty simple, but it sure beats trying to manage water flow at the hose bib, or having a valve on the condenser adding more weight to an already 5.5 pounds of water filled shotgun hanging off the still.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am

Deplorable wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am
A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

Another nice benifit of using a cooling water manifold is when Im only running a product condenser, I have a 2nd hose handy to clean the fermenter, and whatnots while the still is running a stripping run without running a 2nd hose into the garage.

My manifold is really pretty simple, but it sure beats trying to manage water flow at the hose bib, or having a valve on the condenser adding more weight to an already 5.5 pounds of water filled shotgun hanging off the still.
So it weighs about 6 pounds full of water? Not bad does it lean on the still or stand up ok
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:02 am

Durhommer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:59 am
Deplorable wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am
A couple of reasons. I feel like I get a little bit better control of the water flow with a gate valve, a round knob is less prone to being bumped closed when barely open, and they fit better on my manifold.

Another nice benifit of using a cooling water manifold is when Im only running a product condenser, I have a 2nd hose handy to clean the fermenter, and whatnots while the still is running a stripping run without running a 2nd hose into the garage.

My manifold is really pretty simple, but it sure beats trying to manage water flow at the hose bib, or having a valve on the condenser adding more weight to an already 5.5 pounds of water filled shotgun hanging off the still.
So it weighs about 6 pounds full of water? Not bad does it lean on the still or stand up ok
The shotgun? I don't think its adding any undue load. The lid and column support it fine.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am

Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

tombombadil
Swill Maker
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by tombombadil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm

tombombadil wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?
I prefer a modified choke for upland game birds, and full choke for turkeys
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

tombombadil
Swill Maker
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by tombombadil » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Deplorable wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 pm
tombombadil wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Did anybody else open this one thinking it was going to be about choke tubes?
I prefer a modified choke for upland game birds, and full choke for turkeys
I'm running improved cylinder and modified in my O/U for chasing desert quail at the moment. Modified in my semi auto. I haven't figured out which is better yet.

I'm totally new to hunting though so I don't know what the hell I'm doing yet.

User avatar
acfixer69
Global moderator
Posts: 3569
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm
Location: CT USA

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by acfixer69 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:13 pm

We sooo funny. Back on topic if ya got anything.

User avatar
Twisted Brick
Distiller
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Twisted Brick » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Durhommer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am
Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
These are what I used and will be going on yours. Makes it easy to hook up and break down using hose clamps.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer

Bee
Novice
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm

Twisted Brick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm
Durhommer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am
Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
These are what I used and will be going on yours. Makes it easy to hook up and break down using hose clamps.
They graciously muffed up that link for you. :)

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Twisted Brick wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm
Durhommer wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:07 am
Great to know I'm trying to get one I'm just wondering how the water will hook up as in what he will use to fit my hoses to it I just use hose clamps right now I'd like to keep it that simple
These are what I used and will be going on yours. Makes it easy to hook up and break down using hose clamps.
As bee pointed out the link is bad
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

User avatar
Twisted Brick
Distiller
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Twisted Brick » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 pm

Sorry gents, it worked yesterday! I was just finishing a bourbon strip...

The (bad) link is for a 1/2" copper female threaded adapter, the same ones I (and Deplorable) used.
IMG_8997.jpg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Twisted Brick wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:25 pm
Sorry gents, it worked yesterday! I was just finishing a bourbon strip...

The (bad) link is for a 1/2" copper female threaded adapter, the same ones I (and Deplorable) used.

IMG_8997.jpg
Nice machine there ...
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

The Baker
Master Distiller
Posts: 3301
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:48 am
Location: Northern Victoria, Australia

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by The Baker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:19 pm

Clicked on the IMG link.

Got a photo of a cute little black haired girl in a fairy dress.

Geoff
The Baker

User avatar
Durhommer
Distiller
Posts: 2051
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:23 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Durhommer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am

So I been thinking about it a shotgun condenser about 20 inches long would work great on a 15.5 gallon beer keg wouldn't it
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

Sailman
Swill Maker
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:02 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Sailman » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:44 am

What I did for the water inlet and Outlet was to go buy a half inch brass nipple and cut it in half and sanded it to fit the Contour of the condenser.
IMG_20200308_142851.jpg
IMG_20200308_142927.jpg
IMG_20200308_143113.jpg
IMG_20200328_173256.jpg

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:24 am

That's how I did the copper as well.
20201028_165521.jpg
20201028_195602.jpg
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Bee
Novice
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Bee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but a garden hose fitting is 3/4" NPT? Right?

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Bee wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:45 pm
Pardon my ignorance, but a garden hose fitting is 3/4" NPT? Right?
A garden hose is GHT. You need a NTP to GHT adapter to go from the 1/2 copper to your garden hose.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

User avatar
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 942
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Deplorable » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Durhommer wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am
So I been thinking about it a shotgun condenser about 20 inches long would work great on a 15.5 gallon beer keg wouldn't it
Yup.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

User avatar
Twisted Brick
Distiller
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm
Location: Craigh Na Dun

Re: Fittings for a Shotgun?

Post by Twisted Brick » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Deplorable wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:48 pm

A garden hose is GHT. You need a NTP to GHT adapter to go from the 1/2 copper to your garden hose.
Looks like this. Big box store should carry it.
.
Shotty pressure test
Shotty pressure test
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer

Post Reply