Mini shotgun condenser

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

krausen89
Novice

Mini shotgun condenser

Post by krausen89 »

So on a whim i purchased some 1/2" copper and 1/4" tube. I am wondering if this will be enough to condense the vapors i am planning on soldering the tube for more conduction. I know you can use the 1/4" and wrap the real tiny tube around it but figured i would try this. Has anyone experimented with this method? Was thinking possibly doing another wrap and connecting the two wraps at water in and out. It pretty small so this would be a spirit still or maybe a dedicated gin still
20210103_211548.jpg
Prairiepiss
retired

Re: Mini shotgun condenser

Post by Prairiepiss »

It won’t be all that efficient. I personally wouldn’t trust it.

And it’s not a shotgun condenser. Just saying.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
krausen89
Novice

Post by krausen89 »

Prairiepiss wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:07 pm It won’t be all that efficient. I personally wouldn’t trust it.

And it’s not a shotgun condenser. Just saying.
Thanks. I was thinking i could wrap the 1/4 tighter but i think since its only 1/2 inch its hard without kinking, i only spent about 10mins on it. I might still try it out just for s&g.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Try it with water on your steam run. If it works (I seriously don’t think it will) then you’re golden.

But, you can always put a 3/4” water jacket around that 1/2” tube and make a Liebig that will work (more than likely).

A steam run will have more heat in it than alcohol vapor, so it will be a critical test. If you get steam blowing out of the end of the vapor tube, then it’ll signal a failure of your design.

And bear in mind, there is probably a reason why you haven’t seen anything like that here yet...not a safe solution.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jake_jimmylegs
Novice

Post by jake_jimmylegs »

Looks like you've got a start to the makings of a liebig with a 1/4" turbulator , just need a jacket that will fit nice and snug around it... 1" or for sure 1 1/4", I would think would work.
krausen89 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:31 pm
Thanks. I was thinking i could wrap the 1/4 tighter but i think since its only 1/2 inch its hard without kinking, i only spent about 10mins on it. I might still try it out just for s&g.
This is a condenser for my LM that is 1/4" tube double wound around 1/2" That's as far as I can get my pinkie in it... https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 6#p7645246 Hint, filled with sugar first. I do not recommend trying to condense your vapor with the cooling tube wrapped around the outside of your vapor tube but no harm in trying, I suppose.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

If it works at all I'll be surprised, if it does works I doubt it will work well..or well enough.
If you can solder you can build a liebig in a couple of hours. You already have half of the material needed for the job.
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

I would say that has no chance of working, maybe with twice the number of turns and the whole lot soldered on it may have a chance but it would be easier to just make a Liebig.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I would be hesitant to test it but as mentioned if steam comes out shut it down.
krausen89
Novice

Post by krausen89 »

Thanks guys. i would def test it with vinegar/water first. if it cant condense that then i def wont try it with a wash. i have other stills and i might just hold off on this one until i have the time to research and pick up some material to build the liebig.
ErnieV
Swill Maker

Post by ErnieV »

Laibig is really easy to build, easier than that. And works a treat.

Will share a picture when I am next in the brew shed.

Regards
ErnieV