My latest attempt at (mostly) air cooling...

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

My latest attempt at (mostly) air cooling...

Post by jimmayhugh »

Since I completely retired at the end of 2020, I now have more time to get back to things.

Also since I live in the desert, and don't have ready access to a drain, I'm interested in air-cooling.

My last attempt was a pot-still/thumper/swamp-cooled version that worked pretty well.

This time I'm going to try a version of a system from Riku's book on automatic stills. It's supposed to allow heads collection in a more concentrated form.
AirCooledWithHorizontalDephleg400x533.png
HorizontalDephleg400x500.png
The top section uses a water-cooled coil to help condense the heads, which can be collected and drained.

The main takeoff goes to an air-cooled condenser similar to this one.

I'm in the process now of checking for leaks, etc, and will steam test it before trying it with some wash.
Smog
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My latest attempt at (mostly) air cooling...

Post by Smog »

I went fully air cooled and it works ok but is certainly louder than a water cooled setup.
Shit I bought but shouldn't have :
1. Amazon 30L pot distiller
2. T-500 reflux column (good product but expensive)
3. Large 60L stock pot + 2" column

Now using 15.5gal KEG + 5500w electric + fully aircooled reflux condensor and product condenser.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Nice looking VM build :thumbup:
That's the first time I've seen a boiler level sight gauge like that
Since it's a VM with a valve, is there a vent :?:
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

shadylane wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:40 pm Nice looking VM build :thumbup:
That's the first time I've seen a boiler level sight gauge like that
Since it's a VM with a valve, is there a vent :?:
Yeah, the cooling coil (horizontal dephleg??) has a vent built-in.
Running a test with just water today to check for leaks, and make sure the vent works.

Water Test Update: Everything was sealed tight, and the vent worked as expected, as well as the collection port for heads.
Last edited by jimmayhugh on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I've never rated an air cooler but I like the idea .. One question: you put a set of fans (per pc) inside the full length of the outlet tube, right? With a view to "energy saving and amperage" I would think of a single fan at the bottom and the hot air outlet at the top, the product tube wrapped in perforated (or spirally arranged) foils so that the air can circulate from bottom to top, all closed in a tube. It's just an idea, I don't know if it would work.
Something like that (sorry for the quick drawing)
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 1197 times
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

Demy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 am I've never rated an air cooler but I like the idea .. One question: you put a set of fans (per pc) inside the full length of the outlet tube, right? With a view to "energy saving and amperage" I would think of a single fan at the bottom and the hot air outlet at the top, the product tube wrapped in perforated (or spirally arranged) foils so that the air can circulate from bottom to top, all closed in a tube. It's just an idea, I don't know if it would work.
Something like that (sorry for the quick drawing)Immagine.png
This is a setup I tested that uses forced air through a swamp-cooled fabric inside the coil with a fan on top. I recirculated about 2-3 gal of water through the membrane and was able to do a run in the middle of a Las Vegas 110+ degree day. It was just a little messy, as the fan would occaionally blow water out of the fabric.
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

I can't find it now, but I saw a thread where someone made an air cooled condenser using something like this hydronic baseboard element:
heater element.PNG
He said he'd never go back to water cooling.

I thought about cutting this 4' element in half and removing a few fins near the cut, then making a 2' parallel element. Enclose in a 3 sided box with some PC fans to blow air across the fins.
air condenser.png
air condenser.png (14.13 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
rather rough drawing - not to scale
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

homebrewer25 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:19 am I can't find it now, but I saw a thread where someone made an air cooled condenser using something like this hydronic baseboard element:
heater element.PNG
He said he'd never go back to water cooling.

I thought about cutting this 4' element in half and removing a few fins near the cut, then making a 2' parallel element. Enclose in a 3 sided box with some PC fans to blow air across the fins.
air condenser.png

rather rough drawing - not to scale
Here's the link you referred to.

I've made one using a 6-foot baseboard element, 18 P.C. fans, and a 12 VDC supply. it's on the right-hand side of my first picture.