CCVM RC - will this work

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

CCVM RC - will this work

Post by SomethingObscure »

So I've been struggling to find csst in the UK which doesn't have the coating on. In fact I've only found one source and his price is more that build a double helix with copper pipe. For my 3" column.

Anyway I came across this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-Stainless ... 890.l49292

And thought it might work. What do you think? I think copper wil be better but definitely more work.
Has anyone used it before?

Cheers SomethingObscure
RC Al
Swill Maker

Re: CCVM RC - will this work

Post by RC Al »

As there is no lining mentioned, it looks suitable except the large dameter, if it comes in smaller size it could be good, at that size I dont think you will bend it tight/small enough unless you have something like a 6 or 8 inch condenser in mind. I dont see a grade of stainless mentioned either, it mght only be 201 grade which will corrode easily

The plastc on the coated type is suposed to peel off readily enough

Personal opinion, but go copper 8)
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Pay attention to the space that that tube occupies, it is large in diameter. What diameter is your column? Where I live it is difficult to find that tube, I have a piece purchased on aliexpress and it is good, it was short so I made a copper-stainless mix to see how it works.
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Yeah I was a little worried that it was a little large too. It's a 3" column but I think you're right making those bends will be tricky. And of course the type of stainless is likely to be a cheaper grade since it's a cheap exhaust for a diesel heater.

I've just been concerned that my asperations are much higher than my actual skills when working with about copper. I guess I should just jump in and give it a go.

Thanks for the advice

Cheers SomethingObscure
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Corrugated pipes are used precisely because they are easy to shape. To be successful with copper you have to use a small diameter (I recommend 1/4) and for a 3 "column you would have to do a double winding. Both will work, even copper has a certain cost. I have the same difficulty in finding the materials for this I took a look on aliexpress and similar sites (I don't advertise), they cost much less than other famous e-commerce sites.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

in a 3" you can fit a double 3/8 or 9.3mm metric coil. if you do it in 1/4 or 6.3mm do it x3. the 9.3mm works very nice, just pack it with salt and make a jig. yes it takes a while to fludh the salt out.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
SomethingObscure
Bootlegger

Thanks again. I was planning to getting a 10m roll of 8mm copper pipe from a hardware store here in the UK for about £17.

I'm guessing because it comes on a roll I won't need to anneal it but I might give it some heat if I begin to struggle.

I'll reread some of the threads here on how other have done it before I dive in.

Cheers SomethingObscure
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

SomethingObscure wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:28 pm Thanks again. I was planning to getting a 10m roll of 8mm copper pipe from a hardware store here in the UK for about £17.

I'm guessing because it comes on a roll I won't need to anneal it but I might give it some heat if I begin to struggle.

I'll reread some of the threads here on how other have done it before I dive in.

Cheers SomethingObscure
8mm double will work juat fine. yes it will be anealrd but still pack it with salt.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?