R.C. with variable diameter

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

R.C. with variable diameter

Post by Demy »

It's been a while since I had this idea but I was afraid of the usual answer "why reinvent the wheel?". I essentially agree but I think that new ideas even if stupid for some can be pleasant to share and discuss in total tranquility.
My guess is a reflux condenser with varying coil diameter. I think this could help especially in large columns as an alternative to the double coil, the vapors should sooner or later meet a part of refrigerant along the way, I think it would be a valid alternative to scrubbers in the coil. It's just an idea, let's keep it peaceful. Thank you all
Immagine.png
Immagine.png (14.34 KiB) Viewed 929 times
the design is not proportionate, it is just to better understand the concept.
zed255
Distiller

Re: R.C. with variable diameter

Post by zed255 »

I have thought about something similar, a cone shaped winding. I think Shadylane was trying out different configurations for a deflagmator and tried something like a cone.

There would be the same idea that moving vapour would be less likely to slip past without encountering the coil. A cone, point down with some visual overlap of windings, would also self direct the distillate to the centre. The coil form might be easier to achieve than something random.

If I ever need to make a new coil I will definitely try something like this.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Demy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:22 am
My guess is a reflux condenser with varying coil diameter. I think this could help especially in large columns as an alternative to the double coil, the vapors should sooner or later meet a part of refrigerant along the way, I think it would be a valid alternative to scrubbers in the coil.
It's counter intuitive.
But the knock down power has decreased every time I've packed a scrubber in the coil.
I'm guessing the packing increases the vapor speed.
And therefor decreases the dwell time for the vapors to condense.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Yes, I tried this when I built my mixed csst / copper coil, I gave it a try and I didn't like the scrubbers. My current RC is made with variable diameter and works very well. I believe a cone configuration would do the same or perhaps better.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Here's my favorite RC
DSCF0054.JPG
Here's a cone with packing.
The cone worked better without the mesh.
DSCF0084.JPG
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I did something similar to the first one in the photo but it is longer as I use it with CCVM.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I was thinking of winding two separate copper coils for my CCVM so you don't need to raise/lower the coil. One fully blocking the feed into the PC and the second positioned just above the output path... Water flow valves down by the boiler..

Mostly so you don't need to get up on the ladder with a tall column...

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am I was thinking of winding two separate copper coils for my CCVM so you don't need to raise/lower the coil. One fully blocking the feed into the PC and the second positioned just above the output path... Water flow valves down by the boiler..

Cheers,
j
you could use 1 coil in a fixed position with 2 valves to control water and it would be a CM .
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am I was thinking of winding two separate copper coils for my CCVM so you don't need to raise/lower the coil. One fully blocking the feed into the PC and the second positioned just above the output path... Water flow valves down by the boiler..

Cheers,
j
I understand Jonny's. Perhaps you will lose the ability to regulate the flow by raising or lowering the coil. To be honest when I switched to ccvm I was thinking of some sort of elementary mechanism to lower and raise the reel, then I said to myself "why complicate a simple thing?". If the column is tall I think it would be useful. As I write this I was thinking of a long rod that allows you to raise, lower and lock in position, it would not be difficult to invent something like this (remaining simple, without complicated mechanisms).
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Demy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:28 am

Cheers,
j
I understand Jonny's. Perhaps you will lose the ability to regulate the flow by raising or lowering the coil. To be honest when I switched to ccvm I was thinking of some sort of elementary mechanism to lower and raise the reel, then I said to myself "why complicate a simple thing?". If the column is tall I think it would be useful. As I write this I was thinking of a long rod that allows you to raise, lower and lock in position, it would not be difficult to invent something like this (remaining simple, without complicated mechanisms).
a more simple solution is to lenghthen your feed line with hard draw copper tube. on the tube you reference the bottom of your coil and have some sort of stop. i am lucky my twins are not that tall and i can use the coils as stop
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

In any case, I think the pyramid design is not very suitable for a CCVM because the tip would perhaps be too tight to fully block the steam when we make a reflux100%, for this reason I thought of the variable diameter.
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Cheers,
j
Thought of this same configuration myself some time ago. The upper RC is large enough and operates at a flow rate just capable of maintaining reflux on its own and the lower coil is sized such that it can just stop vapour output. Only one adjustment required after initial dialling in, the lower RC flow rate, and it can be placed in easy reach of the operator.

Great minds think alike, but fools seldom differ.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.