Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

coil condenser length

Post by stillvodka »

Hello All
I have a question regarding helix copper coil condenser, what i would like advice on is ,
I have a 10inch long, single wound 30mm diameter coil condenser made with 8mm copper tube, and a 1meter in Hight 2 inch column.
Would this work ok?
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: coil condenser length

Post by Birrofilo »

Not clear how large is the section of the tube. If it is 30mm then the coil is very short in relation to its diameter. If it is 8 mm then it is decently long. But 8 mm is a very little condenser tube, and 30mm would be a condenser which is long less than 10 times its width.

What matters is how long is the pipe not how large is the spiral.

It seems to be a small condenser in any case, to be coupled to a small still.

Its ability to knock down vapours will depend on two factors:
how much heat you put under the still and how cold (and how frequently changed) is the cooling water.

A final condenser working properly is important for safety, make sure your condenser condenses everything and doesn't let alcoholic vapour slip into your room.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It should feel good, it's long enough. If you can, try to enlarge the spiral pipes in some points so as to cover the entire diameter of the column, just pull the tubes with your hands a little
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Might be a little small in OD for the 2" column, but I'd give it a shot and see.
Run a test with just water in the boiler, and see if it knocks everything down.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.