How To Smooth Out Water Pressure

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: How To Smooth Out Water Pressure

Post by CopperFiend »

Good news everyone!
Got into it today and it turns out the expansion vessel was at 2.5bar but the pressure switch was set from 1.4 to 2 bar. Released some of the pressure from the vessel and then set it to 2bar kick in and 3bar stop on the switch. And we're off!

Thank you butch for the info, really got it sorted.

Copper
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

I'm really glad to hear that you got it sorted out!

Happy Stillin.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Butch27 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:14 pm The pressure regulating valve is $35 to $40. I think the link above that I clicked on showed a pump costing $370 or $380. Then you still have to install it and people in the house have to listen to the damn thing scream the whole time you are stillin. Some people in this hobby have way too much spare cash and do not care how they spend it and a lot don't even care if they have a buck put away for a rainy day.
The pump I am using is a normal aquarium pump which costed me €24, I think it doesn't suffer if one chokes the output. It will suffer if one operates it without water. ASIN: B07B8MHYCP

I see now that there was a page 2 and the problem was solved.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

Birrofilo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:09 am
Butch27 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:14 pm The pressure regulating valve is $35 to $40. I think the link above that I clicked on showed a pump costing $370 or $380. Then you still have to install it and people in the house have to listen to the damn thing scream the whole time you are stillin. Some people in this hobby have way too much spare cash and do not care how they spend it and a lot don't even care if they have a buck put away for a rainy day.
The pump I am using is a normal aquarium pump which costed me €24, I think it doesn't suffer if one chokes the output. It will suffer if one operates it without water.
I would have been fine with that solution but HDNB wanted him to use a "bump pump". The link he provided led to a pump that was $369.99 CAD. It was a whole house pressure system. Would it have done the job? Sure, but way, waay, waaaaaaay overkill. The truth is that his pressure system needed some attention anyway just to provide the house with water properly. It didn't cost him anything to get it working properly. I have never run a column with a dephlag but i am thinking if I have a well with a good supply of water that I would rather continually use fresh water from it than use recirculated water. That way the temp of your cooling water would be more constant.
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Post by CopperFiend »

I've always used the bore hole water as coolant. It comes up at ground temperature which is always below 10C here all year round. Now I have stable pressure it will be perfect, free coolant just for the price of the small amount of electricity to pump it up. I would even have recommended it when the pressure was all over the place!

The bump pump idea was a good one, if cost was not an issue, which unfortunately it is for most of us. Thankfully I already have a bump pump underground that is now working well for me!

Copper
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

@Butch27

Of course the solution you suggested to the OP is the more appropriate for his situation.

I was pointing only out the validity and cheapness of my solution for the general forum reader.
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

CopperFiend wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:33 am Thank you everyone, some things to think about indeed. I have found a 200L water tank in the loft which supplies the electric shower we never use. I am thinking of boring a 3/4" hole in that and putting a hosepipe quick release fitting on it so I can easily hook up when I'm going to do some distilling, then not have pipes down from the loft (the wife would have a fit) when I dont need them.

Would I need a pressure reducer if the drop from the loft is around 6m? I currently have a y- connector which has a ball valve on each leg, one goes to the dephlag, one to the product condenser. Would you guys recommend a needle valve for the dephlag one?

Thanks for all your help,
Copper
To try it out you could stick a (weighted) hose in the tank in the loft, feed it down to your kitchen, and start it siphoning.
Simple and inexpensive and no fittings to add.