Cooling Water Radiator Jackpot

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Cooling Water Radiator Jackpot

Post by CaptMorgan »

I found what I think was an air conditioner or dehumidifier a while back. I decided it would be a great way to cool off my water while running the still. It is 14" x 16" x 2.5" thick and a triple pass. The copper finned tubes were the perfect diameter to receive the output from my reflux condenser for my boka. I recirculate water with a pond pump from a 54 quart tote. I made a support frame from Pvc to match to tote height. My last stripping run of 8 gallons only used 12 gallons of water. The water was about 45F at the start and only got.up to 70F when i was done after 6 hours. I put a 9" desk fan under the radiator pointing straight up. It lowered the water by 12-15F when the ambient temp was about 45F. No need to open the still shed door to get water which keeps nosey neighbors from seeing me. It has "Coleman 182" stamped onto to it. Google or searching Coleman's website did not yield any clues. Here are a couple of photos. Anyone know what it is? It is not used for cooling any product, only water.
20210327_162947.jpg
20210327_162922.jpg
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Cooling Water Radiator Jackpot

Post by still_stirrin »

It looks like an air conditioning coil, from a household unit. Coleman makes (or used to make) air conditioning units. Probably has a good BTU rating. Not a very high temperature differential, but good at cooling a lot of air (CFM).

http://www.colemanac.com/Residential/Du ... s/Z-Series

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

You need to run a fan over the fins.
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
CaptMorgan
Bootlegger

Post by CaptMorgan »

Thanks Andrew_90, I know how they are supposed to work. The radiator sits horizontal with the fins vertical. Heat rises away from my rig with the fan blowing over the fins.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler