Attach return tube to reflux condenser??

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stud_distiller
Novice

Attach return tube to reflux condenser??

Post by stud_distiller »

Hi, i am new to the forum so dont know if this is the wrong place to ask. I am planning to build a CCVM with 40mm ID pipe i could afford. Winded 3/8 OD copper and to fit it inside 40mm shell i had to cut it. I soldered it afterwards but i want to know if this can be brazed or tig welded or something??

Here is the picture of my jig to wind 3/8 copper around 15mm mandrel, the tube is filled with salt and crimped from both ends. Tapping for a few minutes got rid of the salt inside.

This is final final result from winding

To fit the tube into 40mm shell i had to cut my coil and try to solder edge to edge.
This is the thing i had in mind

And this is my result, it is a bit ugly but no leaks for now.

Used copper wire to fil the gaps around the lips. Because solder just runs from the lips and dont stick.
Last edited by stud_distiller on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Swill Maker

Re: Attach return tube to reflux condenser??

Post by RC Al »

I would go find a 90° bend and replace that bit, I ended up with tees as they were out of 90's, crimped the end of a tube to cap the other tee end.

Nice winding at that diameter, hardly flattened it at all :thumbup:
Winnipeg204
Novice

Post by Winnipeg204 »

Nice bending, is your jig cut from a pallet?
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

Winnipeg204 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 am Nice bending, is your jig cut from a pallet?
yes it is a pallet, drilled both ends and placed some tube i found in the basement of my apartment.
here some other pics
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

What you show there is a damn tight return angle .

Your initial cut and fit looks pretty damn good . I think I might have tried to braze it . Braze tends to fill better than solder . Solder will run everywhere as you found .

Having said that , you managed to bind it all together so it doesn't leak using approved materials ... so I’d say use it and love it :thumbup:

Love your jig , love your coil .... it will work just fine .
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 am What you show there is a damn tight return angle .

Your initial cut and fit looks pretty damn good . I think I might have tried to braze it . Braze tends to fill better than solder . Solder will run everywhere as you found .

Having said that , you managed to bind it all together so it doesn't leak using approved materials ... so I’d say use it and love it :thumbup:
Thats what i was thinking but yours approval made me chill about this issue, i will use it as is untill it leaks. In case of a leak i'll take it to an hvac tech to braze it for me, i guess. Thanks a lot for your replies.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Don’t take that the wrong way .
Butt joint soldering is not ideal . But....what you did to wrap it in copper wire forms a structure around the joint that holds and binds the solder around the joint in a similar way to what a pretty coupling or formed bend might do . Might not win Miss pretty joint of the year but will survive Toughest woman of the century that hold it all together ... just say’n :thumbup:

And theres been a lot of them :thumbup:
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

Yummyrum wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 am Don’t take that the wrong way .
Butt joint soldering is not ideal . But....what you did to wrap it in copper wire forms a structure around the joint that holds and binds the solder around the joint in a similar way to what a pretty coupling or formed bend might do . Might not win Miss pretty joint of the year but will survive Toughest woman of the century that hold it all together ... just say’n :thumbup:

And theres been a lot of them :thumbup:
Hahaha the way you desrcibe it cheerd me up :clap: it's not gonna look pretty but i but as like you said it will do the trick since it is not going under anny pressure. If i were to sell some parts then i would do a better job of course. The beauty of this hobby occours right on this spot, enjoying what i am doing and sharing with y'all and hearing comments.
Butch27
Swill Maker

Post by Butch27 »

I will say that the joint looks, well lets just say a little rough but you learn by doing. If it doesn't leak it should be just fine. If you were to do it again, I would try slotting the tube used for the mandrel. Then lay the copper tubing in the slot and wind the tubing around it. It may take a heavier pipe for the mandrel than you have used though.