3/8 od 40mm shotgun condenser build

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stud_distiller
Novice

3/8 od 40mm shotgun condenser build

Post by stud_distiller »

Hello everyone, i was reading this forum for the past 3 months to plan my still setup. I built my shotgun condenser for 2200w so here is the time for me to share my experience and possibly guide others as you all did to me.
  • jacket: 320mm long 40mm ID copper 1mm thickness
    inside: 300mm long 7 tubes from 3/8 OD soft copper-straightened. after assembly widened ends with countersink for better solder adhesion
    endplates: cut with garden scissors from flattened copper pipe (1mm thickness) drawn in QCAD then drilled with hss step drill bit.
    baffles: 4 baffles, same cut as endplates- (with %38 cut)
    solder: felder 2mm 250gr 97/3 tin/copper alloy solder
    flux: felder non-acidic copper plumbing flux (cheap stuff)
    water inlet-outlet: cut from 3/8 copper tubes
First built inside, then slipped it into pipe. Used same solder (no silver solder used at all). To avoid previous solders from melting, i stuffed 3/8 pipes with wet cotton.

Parts for shotgun condenser -pipes straigtened as much as i can

Final on the shotgun condenser ( Used only 97tin 3copper solder, filled tubes with wet cotton to avoid melting)
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: 3/8 od 40mm shotgun condenser build

Post by Yummyrum »

Totally nice solid build .

:thumbup: thank you for sharing
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

You have put lots of effort in your shotgun condenser, and the 3/8" tubes will work well..

Unfortunately, I have a some concern as to how will you be able to check for leak, and I'm assuming here, once you solder the reducer end onto the main body of the condenser..

Also how will you clean the condenser out in the eventuality of a puked using 1/2" reduction at each end..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

very nice. I need to get a pound of silver solder.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

+1 to mars puking comment it's nice to have a shotgun that breaks down to clean out especially when running ag
Stainless pot with copper shotgun I'm a simple kind of guy
tiramisu
Swill Maker

Post by tiramisu »

I have never seen a shotgun product condenser that breaks down.
Please enlighten me.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

tiramisu wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 am I have never seen a shotgun product condenser that breaks down.
Please enlighten me.
The reducer tip comes off so you can clean the tubes after a puke like what twisted brick builds
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

tiramisu wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:28 am I have never seen a shotgun product condenser that breaks down.
Please enlighten me.
Picture 0612.jpg
Picture 0522.jpg
You have now...

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 am
Please enlighten me.
Picture 0612.jpgPicture 0522.jpg

You have now...

Mars
Stillerboy can I ask what the small hole in the shell is for or is it just a black dot on the pipe
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:34 am You have put lots of effort in your shotgun condenser, and the 3/8" tubes will work well..

Unfortunately, I have a some concern as to how will you be able to check for leak, and I'm assuming here, once you solder the reducer end onto the main body of the condenser..

Also how will you clean the condenser out in the eventuality of a puked using 1/2" reduction at each end..

Mars
I think in case of puking i had to just purge with boiling water and thats it. For the other question, i am planning to solder the fittings while it was filled with water so it wont be that hot in these joints. So no leaks will occour, correct me if i am thinking the wrong way. And if any leaks occour i can detect it after the assembly with using pressurized gas and submerging it under water.

But if puking happens and it needs to be cleaned like with brushes i may leave the bottom end without soldering but a snug fit to the condenser. Then i open it and clean. Also i am planing filtering/racking any grain wash before distilling
Last edited by stud_distiller on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

When I've soldered I kept my material in wet rags to cool but that's just me
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

Not sure wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 am When I've soldered I kept my material in wet rags to cool but that's just me
yeah but the reduction is covering my inner solder parts. so it will be hot in there enough melt old solder job.
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:22 am
Please enlighten me.
Picture 0612.jpgPicture 0522.jpg

You have now...

Mars
that thing is a piece of art. Happy distilling :D
Not sure
Bootlegger

Post by Not sure »

Well fill er up then whatever works for you right... enjoy it once you're finished you can take pride knowing you built it
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Not sure wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:38 am Stillerboy can I ask what the small hole in the shell is for or is it just a black dot on the pipe
The hole(s) are there to assist in equalizing the air pressure between the outlet end and the end of the spout.. and really required when using a parrot, as it will allow the hydrometer to provide a stable reading..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

stud_distiller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am But if puking happens and it needs to be cleaned like with brushes i may leave the bottom end without soldering but a snug fit to the condenser. Then i open it and clean. Also i am planing filtering/racking any grain wash before distilling
I would certainly not solder the lower end on.. maybe have attached by using a small ss screw to hold it firmly in place..
stud_distiller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am For the other question, i am planning to solder the fittings while it was filled with water so it wont be that hot in these joints. So no leaks will occour, correct me if i am thinking the wrong way. And if any leaks occur i can detect it after the assembly with using pressurized gas and submerging it under water.
Your method of building the condenser is one that is different than my.. the soldering is done all in one shot, the tube end, the plate, and the ferrule.. as to testing, I just use water pressure..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Not sure wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:56 am When I've soldered I kept my material in wet rags to cool but that's just me
Having to use a wet rag is cause by using to much heat..

Reduce the heat used, and use smaller solder.. make smaller solder pieces by flattening regular solder size down some, cutting it up in small strips.. much easier to work with..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

stud_distiller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:01 am that thing is a piece of art.
Thank you..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
stud_distiller
Novice

Post by stud_distiller »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 am
stud_distiller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am But if puking happens and it needs to be cleaned like with brushes i may leave the bottom end without soldering but a snug fit to the condenser. Then i open it and clean. Also i am planing filtering/racking any grain wash before distilling
I would certainly not solder the lower end on.. maybe have attached by using a small ss screw to hold it firmly in place..
stud_distiller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am For the other question, i am planning to solder the fittings while it was filled with water so it wont be that hot in these joints. So no leaks will occour, correct me if i am thinking the wrong way. And if any leaks occur i can detect it after the assembly with using pressurized gas and submerging it under water.
Your method of building the condenser is one that is different than my.. the soldering is done all in one shot, the tube end, the plate, and the ferrule.. as to testing, I just use water pressure..

Mars
The Ss screw idea is brilliant. This way it will be secured but at the same time no need to solder it and kept it accessible. Thanks a lot for all your positive comments :)