Modifying my Liebig condenser

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Garouda
Swill Maker

Modifying my Liebig condenser

Post by Garouda »

My Liebig was a Ø 10 mm vapour tube, 70 cm long inside a Ø 1" cooling jacket. It's enough to knock down vapours but in pot still setting, the product is too hot, I measured about 51 °C at my last gin run. In VM setting, it's OK, the reflux condenser does its part of the job.
First Liebig
First Liebig
Something I didn't implement having some electric wire.
Left over
Left over
In place outside the vapour tube to reduce laminated cooling water flow. I read somewhere a project with a wire inside the vapour tube. IMO it is not useful, indeed, vapour is like a hot gas where the molecules are moving randomly in all directions (Brownian motion)
I used a 300W soldering iron, easy
I used a 300W soldering iron, easy
First stage, disassemble the existing Liebig, I use a butane torch to do the job.
Well, parts are hot wearing gloves is quite a good idea...
Well, parts are hot wearing gloves is quite a good idea...
Cut to enlarge by inserting a section from the existing 1" vapour tube
Cut to enlarge by inserting a section from the existing 1" vapour tube
There's a problem, the Liebig is a Ø 28 mm pipe I bought in Belgium when I left the country some 17 years ago, the other pipe is a 1" I got at the university when they replaced all air conditioners, Ø isn't the same. Tin silver solder won't do the job, I'll have to use some tin lead solder which isn't a problem, it's the cooling jacket, not the vapour tube...
5 Flux.jpg
Good flux made in France I bought in Belgium before leaving the country.
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Re: Modifying my Liebig condenser

Post by Garouda »

It's more than twice as long.
It's more than twice as long.
I did not make any research regarding the needed length, indeed, the initial one could do the job. I got a knicked Ø 1/2" pipe and took the section without connections and knicks.
7 assembling in progress.jpg
I clean surfaces with some SS pot scrub, rinse it with a mixture of vinegar and salt and use that flux I mentioned above, it's quite straightforward.
All fittings that are sold online from China I got so far despite what the seller is saying, are not T2 99.9% copper, but red brass.
There's a risk of lead content, so to be used in the cooling water circuit only!
Improvement in comparison to the first one, I found those on the internet, made in China...
Improvement in comparison to the first one, I found those on the internet, made in China...
9 job completed.jpg
I have to wait for several months from now on, it's too hot to start a fermentation, I might try some rum though...
Here it shows the junction to the main vapour tube and the sanitary fitting which goes to the VM head
Here it shows the junction to the main vapour tube and the sanitary fitting which goes to the VM head
Attachments
Job is done...
Job is done...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda