Cooling reservoir build

Anything cooling/condenser related.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cooling reservoir build

Post by MementoMori »

Hey everyone Whiskey here! I'm building a cooling res to help out my runs. I have a glycol chiller for brewing that will help pre chill the 50 gal of water. I'm adding a radiator and fan assembly to help out as well. Keep you all posted. Cheers.
20210624_140236~2.jpg
"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness". Aristotle
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Cooling reservoir build

Post by Boozewaves »

this thread might be of interest . seems similar to what you are thinking so it may be worth a look https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 87&t=66690
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

20210625_191011.jpg

So I got all the connections dry fit. I'm going to glue them up well tonight and do a leak test. The fan assembly comes tomorrow, more pics once I'm done. I'm excited to connect my glycol chiller and do my spirit run soon after. Keep you all posted.
MementoMori
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MementoMori »

Boozewaves wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 am thank you
this thread might be of interest . seems similar to what you are thinking so it may be worth a look https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 87&t=66690
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

The successful recirculating stories that I've researched. Have a reservoir 4x to 5x larger than the boiler capacity. Even with a forced air heat exchanger. I sized mine 5.5x just to be safe.
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

My cooling water tanks were in the 5-6x range. Worked well as long as I didn’t want to run continuously, ie day after day after day.
I tried a car radiator. Failed miserably. They simply are not designed to do what we need. It only dropped the temp of the water by 3-5 deg f. While it may have been dumping heat, it simply would not cool the water enough to be used again. A linear radiator like a pipe with fins on it may work better vs a typical tank style like in a car. Best solution was just a huge tank of water.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
ash_from_oz
Novice

Post by ash_from_oz »

Been looking at doing this for a while, the 5-6x boiler size has put me off I don't have the space for an additiom 200l container. Keen to see how the active cooling going with keeping water temps down so I can stop wasting so much water.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

If you are going to use Glycol , only use Propylene Glycol which is FDA approved and safe .

Never use Ethylene Glycol ( the green stuff used in car radiators ) as it is as poisonous as Methanol .

Not saying you are going to drink it , but leaks and accidents do happen .
SmokyMtn
Rumrunner

Post by SmokyMtn »

If the radiator ends up not working. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... r#p7443067
My 9" Shotgun Condenser

This hobby really is not so much about making alcohol. But bottling opportunities to make memories with Friends and Family.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

ash_from_oz wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:05 pm Been looking at doing this for a while, the 5-6x boiler size has put me off I don't have the space for an additional 200l container. Keen to see how the active cooling going with keeping water temps down so I can stop wasting so much water.
Depending on your set-up, you could put the 200 litre container OUTSIDE, with inlet and outlet pipes let through the wall...

Geoff
The Baker