Removing flourpaste, but how?

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Removing flourpaste, but how?

Post by Kindafrench »

Dear community,

after the cleaning run with spirits, I ran into a problem.
There is a big threat on my boiler, where the lid is screwed into.
Because the original gasket was made of PET, I had to remove it. Then I put flourpaste in, as a sealant.
Worked perfectly. So good, that I can‘t open the lid again.

Is there a know way to loosen this kind of connection or to dissolve the hardened flourpaste?
Boiler
Boiler
Kf
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Removing flourpaste, but how?

Post by Fiddleford »

the flourpaste will either be brittle and hard or soft and mushy, I'd just work at it being carful not to damage any equiptment
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Fiddleford wrote:the flour paste will either be brittle and hard or soft and mushy, I'd just work at it being careful not to damage any equipment
Use something pointy and wooden. A chopstick trimmed at the end to a point but not a fine point? Leave it pointed but strong.
And leave the paste to dry out after first removing the thick stuff. Preferably with a flat wooden (or a plastic) scraper.
And if the dry paste is not coming off readily, tap the bottom of the chopstick, whatever, with a piece of wood.

From Geoff, THE BAKER. On and off for fifty years.
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I put my mini still in a bucket of water to soften it.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hot water soaked rags wrapped around the joint and patience .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Thanks a lot. Very useful informations. I managed to loosen the lid. I tapped and knocked the lid with a wooden hammer handle.
Maybe it dried over night or something else changed, so that a big part of the flourpaste crumbled out after knocking.

Was panicking a bit yesterday :oops:

Have a nice day and thanks again.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

I was thinking of putting some veggie oil on the contact zones to reduce the friction. Like with baking a cake and buttering the baking dish.
Will do so when I run my next batch and I‘ll use less flour paste. Much of the paste gets squished in the thread, which makes a very big contact area.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi KF

From the picture your boiler looks like the olive oil containers you get if it's not ignore the rest.

I have similar to store my product I found if you wrap the seal that come with it in the thicker PTFE plumber's tape think it's the gas one it not only makes the gasket safe to use but offers an airtight seal I have to loosen the lid to allow liquid to exit out of the spigot.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Yes, exactly, storage tank for oil and other liquids. Maybe I try to wrap the seal in teflon as you propose. Thought it will get destroyed each time I open or close the lid. Teflon is a slippery, glidy stuff... so I go for optimism :thumbup: and try it on a "dry" run :D.

Thanks Manc
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Post by amdamgraham »

Am I reading this right that some of you are putting flour paste into threaded connections? Why not past around the outside? In stills with no threads there are lots of gaps that get blocked by smearing flour paste on the outside. When it comes time to disassemble the parts come apart easily. After disassembling, I leave the parts alone for a week or two until the paste becomes brittle and then it mostly flakes off in your hands with just a few tough spots that might need soaking.
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

Lid
Lid
This is the evil lid of doom, upside down. About 30 cm in diameter.

I put the paste only in the lower half round part, but it squeezes in the thread when I screw the lid to the keg.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Kindafrench wrote:Yes, exactly, storage tank for oil and other liquids. Maybe I try to wrap the seal in teflon as you propose. Thought it will get destroyed each time I open or close the lid. Teflon is a slippery, glidy stuff... so I go for optimism :thumbup: and try it on a "dry" run :D.

Thanks Manc
Sorry just checked it was the thinner tape that gives an absolute airtight seal lasts quite a while any signs of deterioration just rewrap. Nice still by the way I've attached a picture of mine hope it helps.

Lee
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 877cb0.jpg[/img]
Kindafrench
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kindafrench »

:( No picture.

Thanks for the compliment.

I have two different teflon tapes at hand. Will try the thinner one first, as you mentioned.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hopefully worked this time. :thumbup:
Attachments
rps20190424_194906.jpg