Parry water boiler

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Donnydarko
Novice

Parry water boiler

Post by Donnydarko »

Opinions on this Parry water boiler as a start to making a still, boils up water just fine but it's the shape of the lid and the inability to secure it down i have concerns about!
Attachments
20190423_151326.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Parry water boiler

Post by NZChris »

It isn't copper.

It has a huge diameter to seal.

It has a plastic spigot.

Apart from that, it looks really good for something.
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Try googling "Expanded PTFE" sealing band. You might find something that could be used to line the lid.
Always impatient. But learning.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rubelstrudel wrote:Try googling "Expanded PTFE" sealing band. You might find something that could be used to line the lid.
Expanded PTFE has very little memory, so is unlikely to seal well on a lid that isn't permanently clamped.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Also need to get bypass the thermostat and preferably add a power controller .
Donnydarko
Novice

Post by Donnydarko »

Re thermostat, is it bad to have on/off temp control on boiler? 3kw heater, i understand being able to control the element temp would be good but what effect would current control have on the boil? I have a way of sealing the lid, just sorting some fittings for the column and condenser.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It seems you have some common beginner assumptions about distillation. On/off heat control is not good for distilling and you can't control the temperature a wash boils at any more than you can control the temperature that water boils at.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Flower paste works just fine.

As for thermostatically controlling heat input,,,,not optimal,,at all.
Think of an actual live flame. The input is constant. Either a little flame or a big flame,,but always a flame.
No flame, no pressure to hold vapor in suspension and drive it toward your product condenser.

Every time thermostat cycles off, all of your vapor/product will stop flowing. That behavior will produce less than your best effort every single time.

Also, you can't control your kettle temperature as it is the quantity of alcohol in the kettle that determines the boiling point. Since you'll be rendering out the alcohol,,the boiling point will never remain the same. The liquid temps have no choice but to increase as the run progresses. That too is why thermostatically controlling your kettle will almost always leave alcohol in the kettle. You could just set your thermostat to "full blast". But then your quality of separation will suffer as well.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

If you can really seal the lid like you say, then you could buy the heater controller kit from Still Dragon for a few dollars and install it to the middle of an extension cord after locking the thermostat on that boiler full on. The controller will regulate the current to it and as a result, the power.
Donnydarko
Novice

Post by Donnydarko »

Thank you, i can control the power with a eurotherm controller we use at work and adjust the output to the element, i understand the boiling point of the liquid will change as the alcohol diminishes, i need to read up on the boiling process, and good tips or lonks for newbie reading. Still getting rig together at the moment. Thanks again all, much appreciated
Donnydarko
Novice

Post by Donnydarko »

Links.....not lonks!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Donnydarko wrote:... is it bad to have on/off temp control on boiler?
On-off control is great for emergencies...when you absolutely have to kill the power asap.
Donnydarko wrote:... i understand being able to control the element temp would be good
Controlling the element temperature is immaterial. Even a thermostatic control won’t manage the temperature of the element, only the cycling on and off of the heater.
Donnydarko wrote:...but what effect would current control have on the boil?
The heater element is a resistive element. Power through it and the corresponding heat it produces is proportional to the power consumed. And power is equal to the square of the current x the resistance (I x I x R = P). So, managing the current manages the power exponentially.

And since the boil rate in kg/s is a function of the heat input (power), you control the vapor production by heat input while the temperature will vary according to the constituents in the wash. As the boil progresses, the temperature of the boil will rise as the higher volatile components are liberated. The rate of vapor production, however will remain proportional to the heat input irrespective of the temperature of the boil.

This is “distilling 101” and if you don’t understand it, you should take some time to read more about it and the physics involved.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Donnydarko
Novice

Post by Donnydarko »

Thanks, could you point me to some reading material/links?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Donnydarko wrote:Thanks, could you point me to some reading material/links?
A start: https://homedistiller.org/theory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I use this for a gasket on my antique milk can boiler on my essential oil still.
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=24199