Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RickyNZ
Novice

Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

Post by RickyNZ » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:32 pm

After joining the forum end of last year I think I have finally got round to doing stuff after much reading and waiting for parts etc.

I have an ePTFE seal under the lid rim and then I 3d printed the clamps to seal the lid.

The lockdown here left me with the only option to print something and I had a limited range of bolts.

I will probably use a single wing bolt or nut design later but these seal the lid well.
The lid on this pot is a little thin to support side loads on the column but in my shed the colum can easially be supported taking stress off the tri clamps etc

The boiler has a 4.5KW 240V denord element from aliexpress which has worked well for a few years of homebrew beer.
I took the sight glass off the pot for the sacrificial run after the vinegar run caused the liquid to rise a bit due to very slight back preassure from the column which would push liquid out the top of the sight gauge. That only happened when I really pushed it. The gauge had an unknown to me aluminum part that beer wort had eaten too. I have a better one on the way but hopefully I can plumb the top back to the boiler to equalise preassure.

The pot is 50L which is plenty for me beer brewing but I get the feeling a bit bigger might be useful for distilling one day.

The pot had weldless fittings in it setup for brewing so an in/out and a whirlpool port both with ball valves.
20200413_102906.jpg
20200413_102911.jpg

acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Modifying my homebrew boil kettle

Post by acfixer69 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm

I like those clamps. I'm looking for something like that. I've been waiting on china post but going to write them off. Would like to find some for my new boiler. I have used the ePTFE rope and like it. Works with squeeze clamps but wan something more positive. For the clamps the rope is fine.

RickyNZ
Novice

Post by RickyNZ » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:11 pm

I can put the files for those clamps up on thingiverse later if they are useful for anyone else to print and they are easy to change for different pots by a couple of numbers
I drew/coded them in openscad so free software.

montyjb
Novice

Post by montyjb » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:41 am

I'd like the information on printing those clamps as well. Thanks

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm

How do they handle the heat?
At work they have been printing things in PLA and thermo moulding afterwards in less than boiling water .

Cool idea though . :thumbup:

Bushman
Global moderator

Post by Bushman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm
At work they have been printing things in PLA and thermo moulding afterwards in less than boiling water .

I was wondering the same thing Yummy. The one thing I miss in retirement is not having access to a 3D printer and CNC machine.

seabass
Rumrunner

Post by seabass » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Maybe petg could hold up and still be easy to print. I imagine pla would soften pretty quick with the heat.

RickyNZ
Novice

Post by RickyNZ » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:50 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Sorry about the delay to reply. I've been busy.
I printed them as 100% fill ABS, I did thicken the top bits up a bit and printed new ones but no signs of heat damage.
It's probably close to ABS temperature limits but it is surviving fine so far

I am building a new printer that I have been building to use even higher temperature plastics like polycarbonate but ABS can print on most printers

Demy
Rumrunner

Post by Demy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:36 am

I use these, a classic, they work very well
Cattura 1.PNG
Or these, a slightly less powerful spring but they work
Cattura 2.PNG