50l keg build check list.

In our view 30 gallons and under is considered hobby size. Do not bring anything larger than this to our site.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

50l keg build check list.

Post by Andrew_90 »

I was gifted a near mint 50l EUR keg. Just want to make sure I don't omit some clever innovation. I want to send it in for cutting and welding and only want to do it once. Keg will initially service a 2" CCVM with a 40" column. I may upgrade later to a 3" column.

- 1.5" Straight ferrule as low as possible in the side wall for the element. Tri Clover elements are hard to find here and am happy to have a standard element that screws in. One element only?
- 0.75" Straight ferrule in the center bottom of the keg for draining.
- 1/2" Straight ferrule next to the heater ferrule which will stay blanked off. There just in case I want to do some research. For me do it now not later, may never need it but its there.
- 5" Tri Clover ferrule in the top of keg for access.

- Should I fit a 3" Tri Clover Ferrule now and use a 3" to 2" adaptor just in case I want to upgrade later. The area increase is rather dramatic 2.25X, I assume this translates directly to volume? Does going from 2" to 3" at the keg affect performance or will the 3" to 3" be better?
One too many wasted sunsets, one too many for the road.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 50l keg build check list.

Post by Deplorable »

Keep with 2" and use a 2X3 adapter. It will give you more room for your 5" fill/cleaning port.
Go with a 2" for your element, and I think you'll have a wider selection of 5500W elements.
Wider is better for a drain. Id Go 1 inch minimum. Most here will tell you to flip the keg and use the existing hole to mount your drain and have a clean slate on the (now) top for your new ferrules.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:32 am Keep with 2" and use a 2X3 adapter. It will give you more room for your 5" fill/cleaning port.
Good point
Go with a 2" for your element, and I think you'll have a wider selection of 5500W elements.
Another good point. Will need to check the availability of 2" elements this side of the pond.
Wider is better for a drain. Id Go 1 inch minimum. Most here will tell you to flip the keg and use the existing hole to mount your drain and have a clean slate on the (now) top for your new ferrules.
Great point. Then I can fit a decent tri clover ferrule and don't need to flatten the one side of the gasket. Also the tri clamp will fit better.

Great post, thanks.
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

distilique sells a triclamp adapter for SA screw in elements that mates to a 2" triclamp or you can make your own by solder a barthroom basin waste nut on a 2" ferule. the nut is 32mm. gelmar has in stainless steel.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Setsumi wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 pm distilique sells a triclamp adapter for SA screw in elements that mates to a 2" triclamp or you can make your own by solder a barthroom basin waste nut on a 2" ferule. the nut is 32mm. gelmar has in stainless steel.
What are the benefits for a tri clamp heater fitting?

I see they are dirt cheap R 300. Do you require a special gasket?
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Andrew_90 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 pm
Setsumi wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:59 pm distilique sells a triclamp adapter for SA screw in elements that mates to a 2" triclamp or you can make your own by solder a barthroom basin waste nut on a 2" ferule. the nut is 32mm. gelmar has in stainless steel.
pro: you can disconnect the element without searching for a big spanner and without stressing the weld/solder to the boiler.
con: potential leak.
i have dutched my element to prevent shock.
IMG_20210211_175247.jpg

My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Setsumi wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:20 am
Andrew_90 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 pm
pro: you can disconnect the element without searching for a big spanner and without stressing the weld/solder to the boiler.
con: potential leak.
i have dutched my element to prevent shock. IMG_20210211_175247.jpg

AND i do not know what happend on this post!?!. eish africa.

wrap the element seal in teflon/plumbers tape.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Cool thanks. I like you bottle protector around the wiring.

I used some PVC fittings and heat formed it around the element nut. 50mm Stop end, short length of 50mm pipe, 50mm to Threaded Connector.

Threaded connecter was heated in the oven until it felt soft enough and I simply forced it over the element nut. Just need to drill and tap 3 M3 holes into the element nut and 3 corresponding holes into the PVC and she is done.

Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

So here it is then;

I will keep the Keg in its standard orientation. I will be making an stand which needs to take either keg so I need the recess at the bottom as this is the locating element. The second reason is that even competent welder work to tolerances that are not for me. The Keg has been jigged before welding and the Keg's "tri clover" fitting will in my opinion, be more square than the welding shops. To look at a column that is not square to the keg and that does not stand true vertically would drive me totally nuts.

So Tri Clover Ferrule for the element it is then. Thanks Setsumi.

Using the 2" to 3" adaptor at a later stage it will be so will stay with the standard keg "tri clover" fitting. Thanks Deplorable.

Make the drain larger, good point, but only of the tap is full bore. Thanks Deplorable.

Welders have
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Andrew_90 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:40 am Cool thanks. I like you bottle protector around the wiring.

I used some PVC fittings and heat formed it around the element nut. 50mm Stop end, short length of 50mm pipe, 50mm to Threaded Connector.

Threaded connecter was heated in the oven until it felt soft enough and I simply forced it over the element nut. Just need to drill and tap 3 M3 holes into the element nut and 3 corresponding holes into the PVC and she is done.

that is neat, it was my initial goal but had a dutchman moment. ja, you want your column plump. myself not OCD but i check and adjust my column to be level in the vertical... for me it means my boiler is not true.
My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

OCD much, yes indeed, I wish someone would save me from myself. It is actually a curse.
Andrew_90
Rumrunner

Post by Andrew_90 »

Hi,

What is the internal thread size on a EUR Keg. The male insert measures 50.4 OD with a pitch of 1.5mm but I know this often does not relate the pipe thread sizes.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

My keg build check list was:
- 50L keg
- weldless element 2200W
- s/s washer
- teflon tape
- drill bit
MiniMe-UK
Novice

Post by MiniMe-UK »

Instead of having a 3" ferrule and a 5"/6" cleaning port on top of the keg, could you not just have the one opening on the top of the keg which would be a 6" Ferrule, you can then use this for filling/cleaning and for the column too by using a 6" to 2" reducer?

If you need to go to a 3" column, you just change the reducer.

I'm new to this so don't hate me.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

If you don't have it in your plans I'd add a thermometer port mid boiler in case you want that later - it's useful for determining ABV left in the boiler and mash temp if you hook up a PID for mashing. I'd also do two heater element ports now so you can have options should you at some point want either lower watt density or higher max power for quicker heat-up..

Cheers and best luck!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————